Can someone please give me one reason... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Can someone please give me one reason...

If/when we get to seven losses, we can start experimenting. A bowl is still the goal, and just because some of the fans have given up on the season doesn't mean the coaches have.

I agree with that. But we're half way through the season, and we only have two wins. Three huge missed opportunities against NW, Minn, and Rut.

I look at the final six games, and I see three wins [and to be clear, none of them are a given / gimme]. 5-7 for a second consecutive year would be pretty devastating. I just don't see where that sixth win is going to come from, and I'm pretty optimistic.

It will take a miracle for us to win 5 games and the second coming to win 6 or more. If we dont beat Uconn he will lose the team. For Doug Uconn is the biggest game of his life.

I agree with that. But we're half way through the season, and we only have two wins. Three huge missed opportunities against NW, Minn, and Rut.

I look at the final six games, and I see three wins [and to be clear, none of them are a given / gimme]. 5-7 for a second consecutive year would be pretty devastating. I just don't see where that sixth win is going to come from, and I'm pretty optimistic.

Didn't a huge chunk of people predict 5-7 preseason?

I was in that group to predict 5-7. But one of the 5 (Minnesota) we lost. So I'm going to say 4 wins possible. I have to say realistically I saw 5-7, but as a fan, you really want to see what some of the other fans see when they predict 7+ wins.

I still have optimism for next year. This defense is still young and will only get better, with a new qb, receivers and other added pieces you never know how this thing might turn.

We can't win BE games, I can't see us winning in the ACC next year. UConn, USF, and Temple are all worse than any ACC team. RU, Cincy, Losuiville are not nearly as good as the top ACC teams. Add to that PSU in the Meadowlands and @NW. Hard to see improvement.

Our O really makes it hard to watch CFB. It is depressing seeing every team but ours score points. 32 points should be a games worth not three friggin games.
The UConn fan already pointed out they beat Maryland and lost to NC State on the road by 3. Cincinnati beat Virginia Tech already this year, so did Pittsburgh. UL beat UNC.

There isn't a lot of evidence to support your thinking that the ACC is going to be tougher than the Big East. Even conference rating system I have seen has the Big East rated higher, as do the results on the field.

I always try to have the attitude about the future that I want my team to have.

The only option if you are a player or coach is the "we're going to win the rest of our games" attitude. So that's how I'm rolling. I'd rather we disappointed after the game than write off my players or coaches before hand.

I wasn't one of them. I believed wholeheartedly that 8 wins was very possible, 7 most likely. But that projection included wins over NW, Minn, and Rutgers--all of which were winnable games that we went 0-3 in.

Rene is by far our best kick returner. Not even close. He's the only kid who has run hard toward the wall and not tried to dance. He had a couple of solid returns Saturday and was ‘this’ close to breaking them.

He's also money when fielding a punt.

Now if you want to replace him because he makes bad choices then you have a better case. Why on earth he’s tried to field a kick on the sideline is head scratching, the 2nd time he did it he should’ve been benched. And fumble or not Saturday, when he’s in that position he should’ve covered up that football with both arms. To me that is basic football. Not really sure what else he’s done wrong to bring such ire.

Maybe the arm chair coaches should start focusing their attention on Jeremi Wilkes. He blew 2 coverage’s that I saw on Saturday (as well as the blown coverage against Pitt) and he’s a very shoddy tackler. If there’s a player on the team that should have a seat right now it’s Wilkes.

Rene is by far our best kick returner. Not even close. He's the only kid who has run hard toward the wall and not tried to dance. He had a couple of solid returns Saturday and was ‘this’ close to breaking them.

Now if you want to replace him because he makes bad choices then you have a better case. Why on earth he’s tried to field a kick on the sideline is head scratching, the 2nd time he did it he should’ve been benched. And fumble or not Saturday, when he’s in that position he should’ve covered up that football with both arms. To me that is basic football. Not really sure what else he’s done wrong to bring such ire.

Maybe the arm chair coaches should start focusing their attention on Jeremi Wilkes. He blew 2 coverage’s that I saw on Saturday (as well as the blown coverage against Pitt) and he’s a very shoddy tackler. If there’s a player on the team that should have a seat right now it’s Wilkes.

PTG returned the ball better in his career than Rene. We haven't seen anyone else so how can you say Rene is our best? His decision making is awful and he isn't fast.

Pretty sure the big play was on our God DB drifting inside and leaving the guy open, not Wilkes. I agree he should be replaced as Desir and Eskridge both look better. But lets not blame him for something that is not his fault.

The tackling issues alone should've been enough to set him down for a series or two. I'd like to see Desir or Eskridge to try to understand how much of the scheme puts the FS in a tough spot. Wilkes seems to be just a few yards out of range or the closest man to a blown coverage on many big plays.

What I'd like to know, although I'll probably never figure it out, is how much of this is the scheme. Is the staff asking the FS to think too much slowing his ability to react? Are these mental lapses player or position specific? Hard to tell when nobody else is given the opportunity to play.

I agree with you 100%. Then why is Wilkes still out there ?

PTG returned the ball better in his career than Rene. We haven't seen anyone else so how can you say Rene is our best? His decision making is awful and he isn't fast.

This year I've seen Kobena, Broyld, Morgan and Rene return a kick. Rene has been visually the best of the 4. Then I go look at the stats and he has the best average and longest return. It shows.

On punt returns Desire has looked better. But he has a muff and imho the coaches would rather have the sure hands over a potential 5 yard return. The risk/reward is not worth it.

Pretty sure the big play was on our God DB drifting inside and leaving the guy open, not Wilkes. I agree he should be replaced as Desir and Eskridge both look better. But lets not blame him for something that is not his fault.

The blown coverages have appeared to me to be on Wilkes who is the 'safety'. I'd have to go back and watch the rutgers game again but at the time on replays it was apparent that Wilkes was the one blowing the coverages and i said as much during the game thread.

Against Pitt he went to the outside receiver and let the TE run a fly right down the middle of the field. Against Rutgers same thing, he's drifiting or cheating, and seems to be confused in what his assignment might be.

As far as tackling he's terrible. He should've been bench after the chest bump against the Stoney Brook RB's td run. IMHO that was a lazy lack of effort.

The RU big play it was Reddish that drifted. Let's be fair. I agree I rather see Desir or Eskridge out there. Both have proven to be better tacklers.

Kobena is a better KR than Rene. When he is healthy Rene will go back to the bench.

If im not mistaken the BE has beaten the ACC in more games head to head this year not really any difference because we cant win here or there with a - 12 or whatever it is turnover margin in just 6 games

I agree with this wholeheartedly -- we may not win many in the ACC next year, but the ACC is better in name and attendance only. The teams are generally really blah. If we're losing it's because we're bad and wouldn't have won in teh BE either (as we've shown the last year+).

We can't win BE games, I can't see us winning in the ACC next year. UConn, USF, and Temple are all worse than any ACC team. RU, Cincy, Losuiville are not nearly as good as the top ACC teams. Add to that PSU in the Meadowlands and @NW. Hard to see improvement.

Our O really makes it hard to watch CFB. It is depressing seeing every team but ours score points. 32 points should be a games worth not three friggin games.

Well, UConn beat Maryland, at Maryland. So we have that going for us. And Maryland beat Wake, so exponentially we're fine. Well, if we can beat UConn.

But Edsall seems to have Maryland moving forward, they are much better than last year. And Edsall vs Marrone hasn't worked out so well for us so far.

Well, UConn beat Maryland, at Maryland. So we have that going for us. And Maryland beat Wake, so exponentially we're fine. Well, if we can beat UConn.

But Edsall seems to have Maryland moving forward, they are much better than last year. And Edsall vs Marrone hasn't worked out so well for us so far.

IMO

FSU has more talent than Lousiville
Clemson has more talent than Cincy
NC St has more talent than RU
MD has more talent than USF
Wake has more talent than UConn
BC has more talent than Temple

Plus we will get one of Miami, GA Tech, VT, UVA, UNC, or Duke.

Yes UConn beat MD but I do not think that UConn is a better team. We can beat most of those ACC teams. But it will be harder than beating the BE teams because those ACC teams have more talent.

The RU big play it was Reddish that drifted. Let's be fair. I agree I rather see Desir or Eskridge out there. Both have proven to be better tacklers.

Kobena is a better KR than Rene. When he is healthy Rene will go back to the bench.

I'd like to see Kobena and Rene back on KO returns. Rene hasn't been bad, he's a step slow to break a couple, but the blocking is improving and he's getting out to the 30. Starting at the 30 or better is good considering the new rules.

On punt returns, someone else please. Can't Clark do it? Probably the only one with quick enough feet to make anything happen. Was telling on the fumble that Rene didn't feel confident he could get around the corner so he stopped going that way, and there was plenty of real estate. The fumble was just terrible. Regardless of the blown call, just don't let someone strip the ball. This applies to you to Nassib. Take the sack and hold the ball. You're not McNabb.

I know I did and i"m not sure how 5-7 against a much more difficult schedule is "devastating".

That's what I'm saying. I predicted 6-6, so I'll be disappointed if we miss a bowl, but I can't imagine those who picked 5-7 would be all that "devastated" by an expected outcome.

That's what I'm saying. I predicted 6-6, so I'll be disappointed if we miss a bowl, but I can't imagine those who picked 5-7 would be all that "devastated" by an expected outcome.

I had us at 4-8 overall, 2-4 at this point. Although I had us losing to Pitt and beating Rutgers, so I'm not perfect.

Still, I expected this to be a crappy year, it IS a crappy year, and I'm still pissed off about it.

I had us at 4-8 overall, 2-4 at this point. Although I had us losing to Pitt and beating Rutgers, so I'm not perfect.

Still, I expected this to be a crappy year, it IS a crappy year, and I'm still pissed off about it.

Well, that's true too. Craptastic performance has a way of being frustrating even when it's expected.

I predicted 5-7 only because I lacked faith in the staff. I thought we were better than that but we would find a way to F things up and end the year 5-7. Right now 5-7 looks like a dream. So I am quite devastated.

I predicted 5-7 only because I lacked faith in the staff. I thought we were better than that but we would find a way to F things up and end the year 5-7. Right now 5-7 looks like a dream. So I am quite devastated.

i don't know. So you think Nassib is atrocious and you admit we have and have some personnel deficiencies, yet you feel like it's solely coaching that's f-ing it up? I'm not thrilled with coaching, obviously recruiting and development could be better and we seem to have a knack for making plays to lose winable games. But I'm not sure I get how 5-7 would be devastating in any way other than just the fact that it's miserable that our program kind of blows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom