Can someone please give me one reason... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Can someone please give me one reason...

I completely agree. There does not seem to be any accountablility. I think if Marrone sits a player for a few plays, he will think twice about making that silly mistake. Something has to change. I can't keep wasting my Saturadays being angry and tempermental because the team plays like garbage. I don't have a problem with them losing a well played game to NW or USC, but they played like garbage ever since.
Before I say anything, I just want to say I've always been 100% a Marrone guy and 100% a Nassib guy. The turnovers and mistakes are absolutely killing this team (Thanks Capt. Obvious). Perhaps what needs to change is how the coaches respond to in-game mistakes. Players need to be held accountable for the mistakes they make in game, and it doesn't seem like that's the case right now. I don't know the stats and maybe I'm exaggerating, but Nassib seems to be at the root of a lot of the turnovers. How many times has he fumbled the ball when being sacked? (Really...I'm not sure) It just seems like he's turning the ball over a lot. I found myself thinking today after a couple of the Nassib mistakes...maybe it's time to take a seat. That's not because I think Loeb, or Ashton, or Hunt are going to play any better. But maybe it's the only way to get him to protect the ball. Rene hasn't show anyone anything this year and after the fumble today, take a seat. Costly penalty...take a seat. Mistakes are completely tanking this season. What the coaches are doing in practice clearly isn't working so maybe putting PT at risk is the only thing that will get through to them, no matter who it is. Again, I'm speaking on gut alone; I didn't look at the stats so I could be completely off-basis, but I just see the same mistakes being made over and over again, and the same guys going in right after those mistakes are made. Doesn't seem like there's any in-game accountability for the players.

On the other hand, when I was thinking about how it really was only a 2 possession game and Marrone was probably just going for the win. So what do I know? Win or lose, I just want this team to stop kicking themselves in the groin (which is really hard to do by the way).

Maybe the Big East is rated higher but next yr you start 0-2, we won't beat Clemson or Florida St and we play Pitt probably there.

I had us at 4-8 overall, 2-4 at this point. Although I had us losing to Pitt and beating Rutgers, so I'm not perfect.

Still, I expected this to be a crappy year, it IS a crappy year, and I'm still pissed off about it.
Hey, me too!

I wasn't one of them. I believed wholeheartedly that 8 wins was very possible, 7 most likely. But that projection included wins over NW, Minn, and Rutgers--all of which were winnable games that we went 0-3 in.
I think I had us at 9-3. I was more optimistic than most and feel as discouraged as most. We've had weaknesses I hadn't expected and still don't understand, i.e. special teams, defensive backfield, downfield passing game, and turnovers. I thought we were better than we've shown. We've had some good moments, but have plenty of weaknesses as well. If the coaches want to salvage the season, they have to make the right adjustments and now.

i don't know. So you think Nassib is atrocious and you admit we have and have some personnel deficiencies, yet you feel like it's solely coaching that's f-ing it up? I'm not thrilled with coaching, obviously recruiting and development could be better and we seem to have a knack for making plays to lose winable games. But I'm not sure I get how 5-7 would be devastating in any way other than just the fact that it's miserable that our program kind of blows.

I thought Nassib was awful this past game. That's kinda hard to argue against. If anything I have been one of Nassib's biggest backers. I think big picture we have some personnel deficiencies. But I also think given these players and this schedule we should at worst go 6-6. I predicted 5-7 because of coaching. The way the season has played out it appears like 5-7 won't happen. Thus my disappointment. A team that I think worst case should make a Bowl and that I knocked down to 5-7 because of poor coaching, won't even achieve that.

I thought Nassib was awful this past game. That's kinda hard to argue against. If anything I have been one of Nassib's biggest backers. I think big picture we have some personnel deficiencies. But I also think given these players and this schedule we should at worst go 6-6. I predicted 5-7 because of coaching. The way the season has played out it appears like 5-7 won't happen. Thus my disappointment. A team that I think worst case should make a Bowl and that I knocked down to 5-7 because of poor coaching, won't even achieve that.

I get that. I guess I just don't see why it's impossible to foresee 5 wins. Nassib had a rough afternoon. I re-watched it and still don't see him hurry and dump it down more than a handful of times. Actually thought he made some nice plays. I don't know what the answer is. You hear a lot of petrino, which I'd be fine with but there is no history to suggest the university would pay for him and no particular reason to believe Petrino would have the slightest interest in the job. I fear that, even with the move the AAACC (Awesomely Amazing Atlantic Coast Conference), this remains a pretty uninspiring job.

why they think this will get better next year?
Because the defense is playing well and we lose almost no one from it.

The best talent (potential) on offense is young, and several of them were hurt or redshirting this year.

The team gets bigger, stronger, and faster overall every year.

Wheatley's statement ...when he said Smith and Gulley have been here 3 yrs, and just getting accustomed to the offense...

That statement is very damning. This is college football and an offense can not take 3 years to learn. In college football you have to be able to play your most talented players, not the ones who have been here the longest.

Rene is by far our best kick returner. Not even close.
He's also money when fielding a punt.

Rene is currently averaging 0.1 yards per punt return with a long of 5 yards. Desir is averaging 4.0 yards per return which makes him 4,000% better than Rene. :crazy: I don't know who the answer is but I do know that a quick check of ESPN team stats show that SU ranks 100th in FBS in kickoff returns with an average 18.5 and in punt returns they only list 12o teams and SU's average of 1.6 yards is somewhere below #120. Me thinks it may not necessarily be the returner.

Rene is currently averaging 0.1 yards per punt return with a long of 5 yards. Desir is averaging 4.0 yards per return which makes him 4,000% better than Rene. :crazy: I don't know who the answer is but I do know that a quick check of ESPN team stats show that SU ranks 100th in FBS in kickoff returns with an average 18.5 and in punt returns they only list 12o teams and SU's average of 1.6 yards is somewhere below #120. Me thinks it may not necessarily be the returner.

NCAA stats have us #117:
http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2012&rpt=IA_teampuntret&site=org&div=IA&dest=O

That statement is very damning. This is college football and an offense can not take 3 years to learn. In college football you have to be able to play your most talented players, not the ones who have been here the longest.
Agreed. It's disturbing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom