Can we stop the Jay Wright as our next coach now? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Can we stop the Jay Wright as our next coach now?

I could mybe see your point if we are talking about him taking an ACC job at UNC or something similar. But let's be real, Arizona to Syracuse is a lateral move at best. Maybe even a step down.

No way in hell he recruits as well to Syracuse as Arizona. Arizona basically picks anyone they want from the entire West Coast.

Unfortunately I think some of you are over-evaluating the Head coaching job at Syracuse. JB has done such a great job for such a long time, and I think Hopkins will continue the trend. We are lucky to have that. But it's still just a really cold place to most of the rest of the country.

I think there's a lot of truth in that. As a program SU is among the elite. As a place to live, a little less so.

We should hire Kevin Ollie and put the final nail in Yukon's coffin. Then make him sign a contract that stipulates that he never returns to Yukon even if the contract is terminated. Then fire him and give the job to Hop.

LMAO, what made you think of this?

No - and I would also nominate him for mayor of Syracuse at the same time.

It seems he flames out every year. the only year he didn't, he only had to be jaime dixon. That shouldn't count. Good guy. Great Dresser. But I will take my chances with Hop. Look closer guys.

Hurley may end up at Depaul.

I like Hurley but that would not be a wise hire IMHO as he does not have recruiting connections in Chicago and they play off campus. If I were him, I would wait for Seton Hall or Rutgers to open up. Ironically, all 3 schools don't support BB programs so on second thought - money aside - I think he should sit tight and not go to any of them as they all seem to be coaching graveyards.

once a decade to the Final Four, flaming out with high seeds . . . some would say he's the perfect fit ;)

I've pimped Sean Miller in the past. People said they either didn't want him or we couldn't afford him. I say we keep him on the table.
if Miller ever leaves Arizona, it won't be his choice and his next job will be a step or two down the prestige ladder
No normal person would but you never know what he is thinking. Northeast, the Carrier Dome, great conference. Cuse has a lot going for it.
I don't think we can use the Dome as a selling point for the next coach. By the time JB leaves it will be nearing 40 years old.

People keep looking to the wrong Miller. It's all about the Archie. He impresses me way more than Sean.

To be fair to Wright, IMO Nova was an incredibly weak 1 seed. I know they won a lot of games but everytime I watched them I came away unimpressed. Just not a super-talented team imo.

If we're going to throw around Miller's name, we should also consider Bill Self, Coach K, Phil Jackson, and Zombie Red Auerbach.
Some people actually consider Sean Miller a potential candidate. There's a chance.

I don't understand the Jay Wright talk, but not because I don't think he is a good coach.

Rather because he has been at Villanova for 15 years now. He was born in Bucks County, PA (just outside of Philadelphia), attended Bucknell. He is very well liked in a big city. He is smack in the middle of a very fertile recruiting ground. He has had opportunities to move on and hasn't shown much interest in doing so. He is 53 years old and doesn't strike me as a guy that is going to coach until he is 70.

What makes people think he would have any interest in coming to Syracuse much less leaving Villanova? After 2009 I might have understood the thought, but now I think he is where he wants to be.

Last edited:
People look at Wright because he' a regional guy who seems to get SU. At Cuse he would have the Dome, Melo Center, ACC and a massive fan base that he can play to well. I think he would recruit far far better at SU than his slap happy kids at Villanova. If not for an obvious and I hope correct choice in Hop it's a person I would really be interested in.

People look at Wright because he' a regional guy who seems to get SU. At Cuse he would have the Dome, Melo Center, ACC and a massive fan base that he can play to well. I think he would recruit far far better at SU than his slap happy kids at Villanova. If not for an obvious and I hope correct choice in Hop it's a person I would really be interested in.

He recruits at a high level as it is...and his underachieving goes back to the last years of the Big East.

Right he does, to a little school with a high school gym. He'll have a lot more at his fingertips with us.

That being said, Hopkins or bust.

Yeah. I'd rather have Hop.

It seems he flames out every year. the only year he didn't, he only had to be jaime dixon. That shouldn't count. Good guy. Great Dresser. But I will take my chances with Hop. Look closer guys.
Sorry to say,but Dixon,
Sad to say, but Wright,Dixon, and Calhoun own the Cuse! How can you "Knock" Wright ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom