Can't see us getting in if we lose Wednesday | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Can't see us getting in if we lose Wednesday

I think people are putting way too much stock into that second half performance against Clemson. First of all, Clemson wanted it more and needed it more. And second, I think our guys are sick of playing five-on-eight. As long as they remember the weight that was lifted off their shoulders last year beginning with ASU, they’ll be fine.

I think part of the problem is it hasn't been just Clemson.

And I do agree, when second half rolls around, seems like our opponents want it more.

You can look at any of the recent games where we led at halftime.

And hey, some of our recent opponents may be #1 seeds when all is said and done... so there's no shame losing to them.

Moreover its how we lose.

It's like we collectively sigh and say "OK, these guys just upped their intensity... We're not going to match that... Time to mail it in..."

We're not getting maximum effort.

I find that hard to accept and don't think Boeheim should accept it either.

I think part of the problem is it hasn't been just Clemson.

And I do agree, when second half rolls around, seems like our opponents want it more.

You can look at any of the recent games where we led at halftime.

And hey, some of our recent opponents may be #1 seeds when all is said and done... so there's no shame losing to them.

Moreover its how we lose.

It's like we collectively sigh and say "OK, these guys just upped their intensity... We're not going to match that... Time to mail it in..."

We're not getting maximum effort.

I find that hard to accept and don't think Boeheim should accept it either.
I don't think the Buffalo/ODU losses are comparable to the last four. I'm confident we would win those games today. 10 times out of 10 against ODU and maybe 9 times out of 10 against Buffalo.

So let's look at the most recent games. Officiating played a part in all four, although it was less of a factor against UVA. UVA shot the lights out the whole night. We lose games like that every year. At least in this case it wasn't against a bottom-feeder.

Against Duke, the officials simply were not going to allow us to win. Worst officiating we've seen all year.

UNC was a little different. The refs put us in severe foul trouble in the first half, to the extent where we couldn't compete in the second half.

Clemson was a combination of UNC and UVA. Once again, the refs put us in foul trouble early. A lot of people want to blame Hughes for not showing up, but he was in foul trouble the whole game. The refs didn't give him a chance to play. And while Clemson didn't put on the shooting display we saw with UVA, Reed did get hot in the second half and - like we both said - they wanted it more.

So I don't agree that our guys are mailing it in because the other team upped their intensity. I think it's because of the officiating. The Clemson players were just hacking away in the second half, to the extent I thought we were playing Jamie Dixon and Pitt. I believe that was the source of Battle's frustration.

Now we can talk about not giving up and Boeheim not settling for mental lapses and we'll probably find ourselves on the exact same page. What I'm suggesting is that it might not matter. The officiating will be different in the NCAA Tournament, so I don't see any of this becoming a factor. We might run into a hot shooting team or a team that pressures our guards. We might not win games like that. But I don't think it will be due to a lack of effort. I don't envision players giving up, especially Battle. We will unleash the trunk monkey and be there until the end.

Bottom line, this has been a different team since the week off before Louisville. They are playing better on both sides of the floor. Brissett and Chukwu in particular are showing improvement. Unfortunately, the results aren't there with a 2-4 record. But we showed we can hang with three teams that are worthy of #1 seeds and should have won two of those games.

I don't think the Buffalo/ODU losses are comparable to the last four. I'm confident we would win those games today. 10 times out of 10 against ODU and maybe 9 times out of 10 against Buffalo.

So let's look at the most recent games. Officiating played a part in all four, although it was less of a factor against UVA. UVA shot the lights out the whole night. We lose games like that every year. At least in this case it wasn't against a bottom-feeder.

Against Duke, the officials simply were not going to allow us to win. Worst officiating we've seen all year.

UNC was a little different. The refs put us in severe foul trouble in the first half, to the extent where we couldn't compete in the second half.

Clemson was a combination of UNC and UVA. Once again, the refs put us in foul trouble early. A lot of people want to blame Hughes for not showing up, but he was in foul trouble the whole game. The refs didn't give him a chance to play. And while Clemson didn't put on the shooting display we saw with UVA, Reed did get hot in the second half and - like we both said - they wanted it more.

So I don't agree that our guys are mailing it in because the other team upped their intensity. I think it's because of the officiating. The Clemson players were just hacking away in the second half, to the extent I thought we were playing Jamie Dixon and Pitt. I believe that was the source of Battle's frustration.

Now we can talk about not giving up and Boeheim not settling for mental lapses and we'll probably find ourselves on the exact same page. What I'm suggesting is that it might not matter. The officiating will be different in the NCAA Tournament, so I don't see any of this becoming a factor. We might run into a hot shooting team or a team that pressures our guards. We might not win games like that. But I don't think it will be due to a lack of effort. I don't envision players giving up, especially Battle. We will unleash the trunk monkey and be there until the end.

Bottom line, this has been a different team since the week off before Louisville. They are playing better on both sides of the floor. Brissett and Chukwu in particular are showing improvement. Unfortunately, the results aren't there with a 2-4 record. But we showed we can hang with three teams that are worthy of #1 seeds and should have won two of those games.
The thing that people are missing is that we’ve played four top 10 defenses (per KenPom defensive efficiency) the past two weeks. Virginia is #3, Duke is #7, UNC is #11 and Clemson is #10 in defensive efficiency. Most teams in the country aren’t playing as good of defensive teams as we are. Yes, we struggle on offense. But our issues are exacerbated by playing these stout (or Pitt-style hack-heavy) defensive teams.

The thing that people are missing is that we’ve played four top 10 defenses (per KenPom defensive efficiency) the past two weeks. Virginia is #3, Duke is #7, UNC is #11 and Clemson is #10 in defensive efficiency. Most teams in the country aren’t playing as good of defensive teams as we are. Yes, we struggle on offense. But our issues are exacerbated by playing these stout (or Pitt-style hack-heavy) defensive teams.

Yeah.

It was really obvious v. Virginia.

They played loosey goosey on D in the first half ...and second half, came out and brought the hammer down.

We had trouble just getting the ball up court and making a few perimeter passes (let alone run any effective offense) once they put heel on throat defensively.

I think people are putting way too much stock into that second half performance against Clemson. First of all, Clemson wanted it more and needed it more. And second, I think our guys are sick of playing five-on-eight. As long as they remember the weight that was lifted off their shoulders last year beginning with ASU, they’ll be fine.
Clemson needed it more no doubt. Don't know why they wanted it more our guys still need to play like we need wins.

Clemson needed it more no doubt. Don't know why they wanted it more our guys still need to play like we need wins.
Only to the uninformed observer.

I responded to your comment that we need to play like we need wins.
Whether we are in the field as of now or we aren't they should play every game like its a must win.

Whether we are in the field as of now or we aren't they should play every game like its a must win.
Not until the tournament starts. They haven’t had a must win since Wake.

Not until the tournament starts. They haven’t had a must win since Wake.
We have 19 wins every game should be treated as a must win game. You don't know that a bid is locked up.

We have 19 wins every game should be treated as a must win game. You don't know that a bid is locked up.
I’m not playing the circle game with you anymore. You have decided we’re a bubble team with little more to back up your argument than something that happened 12 years ago. If that’s what you need to get yourself through the week, then best of luck on your journey.

I’m not playing the circle game with you anymore. You have decided we’re a bubble team with little more to back up your argument than something that happened 12 years ago. If that’s what you need to get yourself through the week, then best of luck on your journey.
I didn't say we were a bubble team i said we could be one if we lost wed. And this has nothing to do with it this team should be playing with a sense of urgency because you never know.

I didn't say we were a bubble team i said we could be one if we lost wed. And this has nothing to do with it this team should be playing with a sense of urgency because you never know.
YOU never know.

I'm pretty sure they've been trying their best to win every game throughout the season.

How about basic common sense tells many of us that we don't pass the smell test - we need to win Wednesday or it comes down to whether or not another team smells worse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom