Captain Morgan | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Captain Morgan

This I get and agree with. IMO the last two weeks we should have gotten Morgan in to the game earlier (two weeks ago didn’t see the field) because in the very least you need to get him in real game situations. Even if GS stays as the QB next year too, it’s like ED, he’s always at risk for getting injured for potentially the season. To me that just has to happen. You can’t tell how good/bad a player might be without real reps and we had two perfect games to get one backup meaningful reps to get some insight for the future and help their development.
This. Down 35 in the fourth quarter was the time to give Morgan some run. If for no other reason, to see what he MIGHT be able to give you in a game. Same with yesterday down 21+. That’s also how you prevent kids leaving via the portal.

Why not play all 3 QBs, each getting one quarter, the guy that does best gets to play the 4th.

I mean what do we have to lose at this point?!?!?

Yes I know a win gets us bowling, if Shrader has a good 1st qtr keep him in., otherwise the revolving door starts.

Exactly. Tucker would still be riding the bench if not for Covid and opt outs. It’s not like the staff realized he was a potential Heisman hopeful.

Let that sink in for awhile. We have a potential Heisman hopeful on the bottom of the depth chart and the only reason he’s playing is b/c of Covid and opt outs. It’s laughable
Solid point and the staff needs to do better. Wake let a heisman finalist walk out the door
Sadly this stuff happens a bunch in college football

This I get and agree with. IMO the last two weeks we should have gotten Morgan in to the game earlier (two weeks ago didn’t see the field) because in the very least you need to get him in real game situations. Even if GS stays as the QB next year too, it’s like ED, he’s always at risk for getting injured for potentially the season. To me that just has to happen. You can’t tell how good/bad a player might be without real reps and we had two perfect games to get one backup meaningful reps to get some insight for the future and help their development.

Several have said this but it’s all projection. People are trying to project Tucker now into the preseason last year. We don’t know what Tucker showed last preseason. Maybe at that time Howard and Adams showed more especially considering Tucker was a freshman and probably didn’t even have the play book figured out yet.

Im not saying Morgan shouldnt have gotten in earlier. I thought a lot of reserves should have got in vs Louisville. Mainly so the starters didnt get banged up. What I disagree on is that Morgan would have gotten better prepared to start if he played. There's this thought that preparation and evaluation best happens in a live games. That is not always true. Fans create this narrative because games are the only times we get to see the players perform. We arent any better of a team if Morgan plays a few more series during garage time.

Several have said this but it’s all projection. People are trying to project Tucker now into the preseason last year. We don’t know what Tucker showed last preseason. Maybe at that time Howard and Adams showed more especially considering Tucker was a freshman and probably didn’t even have the play book figured out yet.

I completely get that and you’re not wrong. I just don’t trust DB in making sound decisions on personal. Despite some good gets on recruiting, we’ve had big struggles in identifying talent or players with potential, especially on the offensive side of the ball. So I’m not convinced the coaching evaluation of players is a strong suit.

Im not saying Morgan shouldnt have gotten in earlier. I thought a lot of reserves should have got in vs Louisville. Mainly so the starters didnt get banged up. What I disagree on is that Morgan would have gotten better prepared to start if he played. There's this thought that preparation and evaluation best happens in a live games. That is not always true. Fans create this narrative because games are the only times we get to see the players perform. We arent any better of a team if Morgan plays a few more series during garage time.

I agree to a point but I do firmly believe you find things out about players that can be found out in a practice. How do they react during live game stress, that’s a big one. At all levels of sports and in all sports some people freeze and can’t get their brains and/or bodies to react the way they do in practice. It’s more rare but some players excel in these situations and are “gamers”. In the very least I do think there is some value and seeing how a guy reacts outside of a practice situation which is a very low stress environment.

We have to stop acting like emotional fan boys. Not being reasonable because you are uspet that your favorite team is losing. Dino may or may not deserve to be fired but I like to think some of you have better common football sense than you show. To think a staff of 40 years of experience was not going to play Tucker without injuries is just ludicrous. Some of you find anything to be mad at. Im pissed too but be pissed at the right things lol.

I agree to a point but I do firmly believe you find things out about players that can be found out in a practice. How do they react during live game stress, that’s a big one. At all levels of sports and in all sports some people freeze and can’t get their brains and/or bodies to react the way they do in practice. It’s more rare but some players excel in these situations and are “gamers”. In the very least I do think there is some value and seeing how a guy reacts outside of a practice situation which is a very low stress environment.
"Some kids are gamers". "Give him a chance" Ive heard that for 25 years as a coach lol. Ive had players who were not good practice players but excelled on games day but its not often enough to rely on that. How do you know who the gamers are? Should we go into compettive game and play random players to see who the gamers are? No, as a coach you have to rely on what you consistently see first. Players need to show they can be trusted. A lot of the times coaches see the athletic potential of player but also see other things that raises red flags. The type of things that can harm the overall production of a unit. These are the things fans can't see. These guys make a living coaching at that level. Playing randoms to see if they are gamers is not a smart strategy at all. It's cool to do that on a Madden football game but not in real life.

Yes, playing live games build confidence and experience. I also depends on the situations in the game. Garbage time doesnt develop much. You might see a kid flash here and there and that may allows you to give him increased reps in practice but you are not going to win many games trying to experiment in competitive games. It becomes a bigger show. Now you just throwing different players in to see how they do. If you think a kid flashing during garbage time is a strong indication of how his career is going to go than I dont know what to tell you.

Last edited:
"Some kids are gamers". "Give him a chance" Ive heard that for 25 years as a coach lol. Ive had players who were not good practice players but excelled on games day but its not often to rely on it. How do you know who the gamers are? Should we go into compettive game and play random players to see who the gamers are? No, as a coach you have to rely on what you consistently see first. Players need to show they can be trusted. A lot of the times coaches see the athletic potential of player but also see other things that raises red flags. The type of things that can harm the overall production of a unit. These are the things fans can't see. These guys make a living coaching at that level. Playing randoms to see if they are gamers is not a smart strategy at all. It's cool to do that on a Madden football game but not in real life.

Yes, playing live games build confidence and experience. I also depends on the situations in the game. Garbage time doesnt develop much. You might see a kid flash here and there and that may allows you to give him increased reps in practice but you are not going to win many games trying to experiment in competitive games. It becomes a bigger show. Now you just throwing different players in to see how they do. If you think a kid flashing during garbage time is a strong indication of how his career is going to go than I dont know what to tell you.

These weren’t competitive games though. To me, that’s when you get guys reps that even though arent the same as being in a tight game are still better for evaluation purposes then just practice. Otherwise I agree with you.

These weren’t competitive games though. To me, that’s when you get guys reps that even though arent the same as being in a tight game are still better for evaluation purposes then just practice. Otherwise I agree with you.
When have you incorporate these strategies and it has worked for you and your staff? How do you run your practices? Do you put them in scrimmage and other competitive situations?

Edit: and thats the point you get the best evals when they are in competitive parts of a game not wash up time. You can’t just try players in the games. You put the player in that gives you the best chance to win base your evals. Not in game trials where you can win or lose

Last edited:
Dino isn’t married to GS he did start Devito over him.

Morgan must have just not been good in camp and practice to be so far behind. We need to add another transfer.

We have to stop acting like emotional fan boys. Not being reasonable because you are uspet that your favorite team is losing. Dino may or may not deserve to be fired but I like to think some of you have better common football sense than you show. To think a staff of 40 years of experience was not going to play Tucker without injuries is just ludicrous. Some of you find anything to be mad at. Im pissed too but be pissed at the right things lol.
Just to check am I still allowed to want Morgan to start?

Just to check am I still allowed to want Morgan to start?
Of course you are. Whats your thoughts? Because some of the reasons Ive heard doesnt make sense to me. Taking a chance on a kid that hasnt played all season is a big risk. Our pass game is not bad just because of QB play. I see a lot of stuff schematically that hinders it.

I am convinced that Dino didn't put in certain reserves, so they wouldn't get in and impress and then put their name in the portal. Dino is all about secrets.

We know the limitations of the pass game. It doesn’t take away of the fact that Shrader gives you the best chance to win vs Pitt. You go with the best thing going for you. Nothing is going to miraculously change in one week. The offense we run has beat good teams and almost beat Clemson and Wake. The offense just can’t come from behind by multiple TD’s. Have to take your chances with one of the best backfields in the country. Not with a bunch of Wr’s that have rarely shown any ability to make explosive plays vs good competition. If we lose with that. So be it.
Shrader doesn't look nearly 100% for the last 2 games. His legs seem to lack the same explosion he had and I wonder if he has a sore shoulder.....his tosses have been worse by far.

Shrader doesn't look nearly 100% for the last 2 games. His legs seem to lack the same explosion he had and I wonder if he has a sore shoulder...his tosses have been worse by far.
You might be right. He is probably banged up and it’s limiting his throwing but his legs were good enough on that long TD run. He still gives us the best chance to win. You have to understand the numbers game.

You might be right. He is probably banged up and it’s limiting his throwing but his legs were good enough on that long TD run. He still gives us the best chance to win. You have to understand the numbers game.
He hasn't been the same since he took that vicious hit at the end of the Virginia Tech game.

I wasn't saying he wasn't our best chance, I was saying I didn't think he was 100%. Even though he scored on that run, he didn't look like himself to me. I agree with you.

"Some kids are gamers". "Give him a chance" Ive heard that for 25 years as a coach lol. Ive had players who were not good practice players but excelled on games day but its not often enough to rely on that. How do you know who the gamers are? Should we go into compettive game and play random players to see who the gamers are? No, as a coach you have to rely on what you consistently see first. Players need to show they can be trusted. A lot of the times coaches see the athletic potential of player but also see other things that raises red flags. The type of things that can harm the overall production of a unit. These are the things fans can't see. These guys make a living coaching at that level. Playing randoms to see if they are gamers is not a smart strategy at all. It's cool to do that on a Madden football game but not in real life.

I think in blowouts, there should be certain times where we see what's on the bench and give some run and experience to younger kids or kids that have played in the program for a long time and been loyal to the program

I don't think we've done a good enough job of that really ever here .. not since P days.

You see it among Top 25 teams - they will play lots of kids some snaps here and there, create packages for special talents or potential talents.

Last edited:
Lmao the guy waited weeks to play GS over Tommy. Tucker started 4th on the depth chart last year. He isn’t the best at judging talent lol
It’s not often talked about a lot as well but even Tucker, albeit a Freshman, was being some pretty average backs tbh.

He hasn't been the same since he took that vicious hit at the end of the Virginia Tech game.
His passing was getting better to that point but has been awful since. Ribs or injured shoulder perhaps. Something isn’t right.

I wasn't saying he wasn't our best chance, I was saying I didn't think he was 100%. Even though he scored on that run, he didn't look like himself to me. I agree with you.
Ok Gotcha. Good point

I think in blowouts, there should be certain times where we see what's on the bench and give some run and experience to younger kids or kids that have played in the program for a long time and been loyal to the program

I don't think we've done a good enough job of that really ever here .. not since P days.

You see it among Top 25 teams - they will play lots of kids some snaps here and there, create packages for special talents or potential talents.
No doubt. I think everyone generally does that. Dino seems to keep starters in longer. Only seems to give 1 or 2 series to reserves.