Carmelo having a stellar game | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Carmelo having a stellar game

Boston is tough though. IMO the East is Miami, Chicago with an outside chance of the NYK or Celtics.. Indiana is solid but im not sold on them. ATL is what it is, they are decent but wont scare anyone. Orlando and Philly are trainwrecks. Milwaukee is playing better than those two.
Intersting to see how Ellis and Jennings play together the rest of the way; could be scary good or could be an absolute disaster.

Boston is tough though. IMO the East is Miami, Chicago with an outside chance of the NYK or Celtics.. Indiana is solid but im not sold on them. ATL is what it is, they are decent but wont scare anyone. Orlando and Philly are trainwrecks. Milwaukee is playing better than those two.

Boston is tough, but we're 4 back of Orlando, and 3 on Boston, plus we play Boston. Unless Orlando closes like 1-9 or something, if we make up the 4 on Orlando, chances are we make up the lead on Boston. Starting tomorrow, Boston plays 8 games in 11 days, including their back to back to back. For an old team, that could be tough. Th ey have games @Miami, @ Atlanta, and @NY, plus home games vs Orlando, Miami, and Atlanta. If the Knicks beat Boston (which is the only way they can catch them, probably) they'd need to make up 2 games in the other 9. Still not easy.

I think it's most likely the Knicks don't catch either, but like I said, unless Orlando gives up, I feel like any scenario that sees them catching Orlando has them catching Boston.

"I feel like I can't help myself, but he made aton of clutch shots to close out Chicago last year."

Sure, and even a broken clock is right twice a day. He's made some, but he's gagged more than he has performed especially for a player of his caliber.
Here's a question- 10 seconds on the clock, down 1, who do you want taking that last shot...LeBron or Melo?

images

I feel like I can't help myself, but he made aton of clutch shots to close out Chicago last year.

Sure, and even a broken clock is right twice a day. He's made some, but he's gagged more than he has performed especially for a player of his caliber.
Here's a question- 10 seconds on the clock, down 1, who do you taking that last shot...LeBron or Melo?

images

I guess you'd still have to take the guy shooting over 50% from the field this season. As much as I bag on him, I realize he is the most gifted player in the world.

"I feel like I can't help myself, but he made aton of clutch shots to close out Chicago last year."

Here's a question- 10 seconds on the clock, down 1, who do you taking that last shot...LeBron or Melo?

images

Sure but you said the last clutch shot he made was in 2009.

I guess you'd still have to take the guy shooting over 50% from the field this season. As much as I bag on him, I realize he is the most gifted player in the world.
That means nothing in the last minute of a game when the entire crowd is on your back and you know every tv is tuned in to see what you do.

Sure but you said the last clutch shot he made was in 2009.
Fair enough.
But I think its telling that he has so few memorable "clutch" shots/moments. Off the top of my head I can easily remember up to 5 game-winners each from Melo, Kobe, DWade, etc.
Again, Lebron's a great great player- but more often than not, he's come up short in big spots.

Fair enough.
But I think its telling that he has so few memorable "clutch" shots/moments. Off the top of my head I can easily remember up to 5 game-winners each from Melo, Kobe, DWade, etc.
Again, Lebron's a great great player- but more often than not, he's come up short in big spots.

It does seem that way, though I don't know exactly how it plays out. I do know Kobe is something like a 27% shooter in game winning situations. Melo' game winning shots stats are very good, from what I remember.

It does seem that way, though I don't know exactly how it plays out. I do know Kobe is something like a 27% shooter in game winning situations. Melo' game winning shots stats are very good, from what I remember.
Melo is in the 40's somewhere I think.

Here's a question- 10 seconds on the clock, down 1, who do you want taking that last shot...LeBron or Melo?

images

give me lebron

You want LBJ taking the last shot over Melo!? Youre crazy man.

i want LBJ over any other player at any given moment right now. he is the most gifted athlete in the history of modern civilization. Ill take my bumps and bruises until he wins 5+ titles just like jordan.

remember, you are comparing these 2 coming off of melo's best game ever. and you are a syracuse fan. you may have an slight agenda...

I wonder is the 76ers would be open to Amare for Iguodala? The 76ers are not too happy with Iggy lately. The fans are booing him. Hes miserable there. The 76ers have a bunch of good secondary players with no superstar, maybe they take a chance on Amare?

Knicks starting lineup would be Lin Shumpert Iguodala Melo Chandler. That would be absolutely sick defensively and a beast on offense.

i want LBJ over any other player at any given moment right now. he is the most gifted athlete in the history of modern civilization. Ill take my bumps and bruises until he wins 5+ titles just like jordan.

remember, you are comparing these 2 coming off of melo's best game ever. and you are a syracuse fan. you may have an slight agenda...
We are talking about a last minute shot.....

Lebron is a choke artist.

Melo is as clutch as it gets.

My favorite thing about those st ats is the assist total. Kobe, at the time had taken 56 shots, plus 15 FT, so I guess 62 or 63 shots. He had 1 assist. 1! (Also only 5 TO, which is part of the reason the iso's are done at the end of the game, the % are lower but the turnovers don't happen). Wade is 28%, 40 shots, 3 assists.

Lebron has 50 shot attempts, 17 conversions plus 6 assists. Carmelo's 48% really stands out, though.

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Anthony has gone 24-52 from the field in game-tying or go-ahead situations in the last 15 seconds of 4th quarter/OT. Among players that have taken at least 20 field goal attempts over that span, Anthony ranks first in field goal percentage (46.2). His 24 field goals are second to Kobe's 26.

I dont think this counts Melo's game tying shot and game winner yesterday.

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Anthony has gone 24-52 from the field in game-tying or go-ahead situations in the last 15 seconds of 4th quarter/OT. Among players that have taken at least 20 field goal attempts over that span, Anthony ranks first in field goal percentage (46.2). His 24 field goals are second to Kobe's 26.

I dont think this counts Melo's game tying shot and game winner yesterday.

That really is remarkable, because the leagur wide% is like 30%. (I don't know if it is 30% for the exact scenario outlined by Elias, but I bet it's still pretty close).

How bad do these quotes by Noah and Rose make D'Antoni look...yikes.

"They can compete," Bulls center Joakim Noah said after the game. "We can't sit here and take that away from them. They're a tougher team than they were before. There's no doubt about that. They play hard every possession. I mean every possession. They're tough. They keep coming. They're showing a lot of heart. And they've got someone to give the ball to when it counts in Melo. I've got to give him credit.
"Actually, they can brag a little bit," said Rose, shockingly. "[The Knicks] know where to get the ball to now. Guys aren't taking many silly shots. Melo's at least touching the ball when they come down the court now. They're running the offense through him and he's making plays. He's hitting tough shots, great shots, making the game easy, and he's getting to the line.
"I've got to take my hat off to Coach Woodson. He's doing a great job of making sure everyone's playing hard and playing team basketball. You've got to give them credit. They're playing hard throughout the whole game. They're a great defensive team now. Especially when they get you playing out of control. But it still comes down to Melo."

How bad do these quotes by Noah and Rose make D'Antoni look...yikes.

"They can compete," Bulls center Joakim Noah said after the game. "We can't sit here and take that away from them. They're a tougher team than they were before. There's no doubt about that. They play hard every possession. I mean every possession. They're tough. They keep coming. They're showing a lot of heart. And they've got someone to give the ball to when it counts in Melo. I've got to give him credit.
"Actually, they can brag a little bit," said Rose, shockingly. "[The Knicks] know where to get the ball to now. Guys aren't taking many silly shots. Melo's at least touching the ball when they come down the court now. They're running the offense through him and he's making plays. He's hitting tough shots, great shots, making the game easy, and he's getting to the line.
"I've got to take my hat off to Coach Woodson. He's doing a great job of making sure everyone's playing hard and playing team basketball. You've got to give them credit. They're playing hard throughout the whole game. They're a great defensive team now. Especially when they get you playing out of control. But it still comes down to Melo."

I was thinking about this recently; I think in the NBA we talk too much about "so and so is a good coach or a bad coach" in broad terms. I don't think D'Antoni is a bad coach. He's made it further in the playoffs than Woodson, for starters. But I don't think he is a good coach for this year. Some coaches c an be really good fits for one group of players, and a bad fit for a different group.

well, as a hawks fan, let me chime in here - and keep in mind that i have only watched the woodson led hawks 1 or 2 times so far...

you will hear "iso melo, iso melo" about 30 times a game. That will be there offense.

"iso joe" has been stuck in my head for the last 6 years. still is.

well, as a hawks fan, let me chime in here - and keep in mind that i have only watched the woodson led hawks 1 or 2 times so far...

you will hear "iso melo, iso melo" about 30 times a game. That will be there offense.

"iso joe" has been stuck in my head for the last 6 years. still is.
How many good teams dont run iso though? The Bulls ENTIRE offense is pick n roll with Rose, essentially a Rose iso. The Heat iso LBJ and Wade all the time. The Lakers iso Kobe and post up Bynum (a post up is pretty much the iso of a big man). The Thunder are pretty much all Westbrook one on one and Durant iso.

How many good teams dont run iso though? The Bulls ENTIRE offense is pick n roll with Rose, essentially a Rose iso. The Heat iso LBJ and Wade all the time. The Lakers iso Kobe and post up Bynum (a post up is pretty much the iso of a big man). The Thunder are pretty much all Westbrook one on one and Durant iso.

trust me... this is a different iso than you are thinking.

the lakers iso is basically brand new. the triangle offense is not isolation. the heat have a half court offense and so do the bulls and thunder.

the hawks ran it entirely too much. (and every player you mentioned is a better offensive threat than joe johnson)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom