Carmelo's Woes | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Carmelo's Woes

It’s going to blow some minds what danny ainge receives in a deal shipping out Horford and Smart this off season.

I cannot wait.

Dunno. Why would another team trade for Horford he's only effective playing on a loaded team as a super role player I don't think he'd be great elsewhere. Thats a big contract. He isn't putting another team over the top.

Kyrie and Heyward will be playing their first playoff games defending a title those 2 will be the guys on notice next year. Irving might be 6th man next year with the way Scary Terry is playing.

Rozeir-Smart-Brown-Tatum back court is in Boston to stay. Plenty of D and outside shooting there. That is the core. Forwards are interchangeable. Sacramento's pick in 2019 (if they don't rig the lottery and give them #1 overall in which case the Celtics get a mid 20s pick from Philly) will be a forward and the Marcus Morris/Al Horford long term replacement. Next year Irving is Isaiah Thomas on steroids demolishing 2nd units while Rozeir draws tougher assignments. Hayward probably plays out his 4 year deal since its so much money.

Trader Danny has to worry about cap space. Kyrie walks after 2019, Horford after 2020, Hayward after 2021. No need to trade tehm. Hes not going to blindly rip teams off for them he'd have to take salary back to do so. Every year thats 30 mil to give the young players (who I think are too young to make 30 mil per) there might be a sign and trade with one of them as a free agent but I think he just locks up the core you are seeing this playoffs.

Most stars are on their back 9 the Rozeir/Smart/Brown/Tatum core is like having Steph/Klay/Draymond 4 years ago. A year from now people are going to hate the Celtics 10x as much as they do the Patriots because they are so loaded.

Reddick is likely gone either way, he signed a 1 year deal.

I would think that if LeBron wants to come to your team you figure out a style that will fit best. Shoot first ask questions later
Isn't this what happened at OKC? How did that work out.

Isn't this what happened at OKC? How did that work out.

Melo has been ripped to shreds in this thread but the other star they picked up was a far bigger let down all things considered. Not sure that is a great comparison. Speaking of which George might want to join Philly.

Who do you pick if you are a Sixers fan and need to get over the hump after being crushed by the Celtics PG or LeBron? I'd take LeBron.

Melo has been ripped to shreds in this thread but the other star they picked up was a far bigger let down all things considered. Not sure that is a great comparison. Speaking of which George might want to join Philly.

Who do you pick if you are a Sixers fan and need to get over the hump after being crushed by the Celtics PG or LeBron? I'd take LeBron.
I wasn't picking out Melo. I was talking about putting Russ, Melo and Paul together and then trying to figure out what to do with them.
As far as LeBron in Philly, he would bring a huge lift. But at what cost? How well does he fit with Simmons and Embid and others? Do they change their whole offense to feature LeBron? If so, what does that do to others on the team who have carried it this year? Might work, might be another OKC.

it's a fair statement to say carmelo anthony's game stats have been spectacular but his various team's postseason success has been rather dismal.

Last edited:
I wasn't picking out Melo. I was talking about putting Russ, Melo and Paul together and then trying to figure out what to do with them.
As far as LeBron in Philly, he would bring a huge lift. But at what cost? How well does he fit with Simmons and Embid and others? Do they change their whole offense to feature LeBron? If so, what does that do to others on the team who have carried it this year? Might work, might be another OKC.
LeBron in Philly doesn't work. Philly needs shooters to match with Simmons and Embiid.

LeBron in Philly doesn't work. Philly needs shooters to match with Simmons and Embiid.

Not really a 2nd Simmons with a WAY better handle would be scary.

Embid can stroke it as well as anyone don't forget this is his first year in the NBA. All that size gives everyone problems.

People think they will suck because LeBron and Simmons are similar I think its the exact opposite having 2 of them would make them unbeatable.

Lebron is not going to Philly.

Lebron is not going to Philly.

LeBron isn't going to let Durant out do him as the biggest bandwagon jumper ever.

Hes not staying in Cleveland he hates Gilbert and he almost got bounced in the first round. Where is he gonna go the Knicks? Its probably Philly or Golden State on the minimum. Pretty sure I know which he chooses.

Not really a 2nd Simmons with a WAY better handle would be scary.

Embid can stroke it as well as anyone don't forget this is his first year in the NBA. All that size gives everyone problems.

People think they will suck because LeBron and Simmons are similar I think its the exact opposite having 2 of them would make them unbeatable.
Pack the paint and dare that team to shoot. If they lose Reddick and add LeBron. Defending that team is easier then you think.

LeBron isn't going to let Durant out do him as the biggest bandwagon jumper ever.

Hes not staying in Cleveland he hates Gilbert and he almost got bounced in the first round. Where is he gonna go the Knicks? Its probably Philly or Golden State on the minimum. Pretty sure I know which he chooses.

LOL

Lebron to Philly makes sense for Philly for 1 big reason only - so he's not out there ready to cut your head off in the ECF.

The Finals have been Western Conference Finals champ vs Lebron for 7 straight years. If you really think Philly wouldn't try to sign Lebron because "they need more shooters" I'm not sure what to tell you.

I don't think he's going to Philly. No idea where he'll end up. Maybe he stays in Cleveland, maybe not. Either way if I am Philly/Tor/Boston - I pray to god I either get him or he moves out West.

So by that analysis the only guys that deserve Max deals are Lebron, Kawhi, Curry, and Durant.

That's not how it works.
Yes. Others get Max deals but in my opinion don't merit them. Just because they can get maxed doesn't mean they should.

Pack the paint and dare that team to shoot. If they lose Reddick and add LeBron. Defending that team is easier then you think.

You can find shooting on the (relative) cheap. You can't find Lebron James or Ben Simmons anywhere.

I understand the idea that perhaps Lebron and Simmons aren't totally complementary players. But the idea that Philly wouldn't sign Lebron if they could because of that, or that Philly would be easy to defend if they had those guys, I mean, come on.

Dunno. Why would another team trade for Horford he's only effective playing on a loaded team as a super role player I don't think he'd be great elsewhere. Thats a big contract. He isn't putting another team over the top.

Kyrie and Heyward will be playing their first playoff games defending a title those 2 will be the guys on notice next year. Irving might be 6th man next year with the way Scary Terry is playing.

Rozeir-Smart-Brown-Tatum back court is in Boston to stay. Plenty of D and outside shooting there. That is the core. Forwards are interchangeable. Sacramento's pick in 2019 (if they don't rig the lottery and give them #1 overall in which case the Celtics get a mid 20s pick from Philly) will be a forward and the Marcus Morris/Al Horford long term replacement. Next year Irving is Isaiah Thomas on steroids demolishing 2nd units while Rozeir draws tougher assignments. Hayward probably plays out his 4 year deal since its so much money.

Trader Danny has to worry about cap space. Kyrie walks after 2019, Horford after 2020, Hayward after 2021. No need to trade tehm. Hes not going to blindly rip teams off for them he'd have to take salary back to do so. Every year thats 30 mil to give the young players (who I think are too young to make 30 mil per) there might be a sign and trade with one of them as a free agent but I think he just locks up the core you are seeing this playoffs.

Most stars are on their back 9 the Rozeir/Smart/Brown/Tatum core is like having Steph/Klay/Draymond 4 years ago. A year from now people are going to hate the Celtics 10x as much as they do the Patriots because they are so loaded.

LOL

You can find shooting on the (relative) cheap. You can't find Lebron James or Ben Simmons anywhere.

I understand the idea that perhaps Lebron and Simmons aren't totally complementary players. But the idea that Philly wouldn't sign Lebron if they could because of that, or that Philly would be easy to defend if they had those guys, I mean, come on.

100% they would sign Bron if he wanted to go there.

With that said, I don't think he will and I think Philly should start laying the groundwork to make a run at Klay the year after this one.

100% they would sign Bron if he wanted to go there.

With that said, I don't think he will and I think Philly should start laying the groundwork to make a run at Klay the year after this one.

Klay is probably the most expendable of their big 4, right? Man, he's "only" making like $17 million a year. If they max him out, or come close, it's going to give them such a huge tax bill.

Klay is probably the most expendable of their big 4, right? Man, he's "only" making like $17 million a year. If they max him out, or come close, it's going to give them such a huge tax bill.

I would think so.

I love Klay and think he's underrated (if possible). I also think Steph is miles more important than Durant in terms of overall value to the team, so take my opinion FWIW.

Philly gets Klay, they keep RoCo (who is probably the person Philly will make expendable) level defense with Klay and get one of the five best shooters of all time and maybe the greatest heat check guy ever.

I would think so.

I love Klay and think he's underrated (if possible). I also think Steph is miles more important than Durant in terms of overall value to the team, so take my opinion FWIW.

Philly gets Klay, they keep RoCo (who is probably the person Philly will make expendable) level defense with Klay and get one of the five best shooters of all time and maybe the greatest heat check guy ever.

I am fully team Steph > KD.

I guess the only issue for Philly is do you want 3 guys on a max deal? Maybe the timing with Simmons works out, since he won't be due an extension for a few years? Otherwise, I love the fit.

I never said Philly wouldn't sign him. I'm only saying they'll never win a championship with that team.

So by that analysis the only guys that deserve Max deals are Lebron, Kawhi, Curry, and Durant.

That's not how it works.

I agree with your list, even if you may not. If you want to build a whole roster of good players, you should be very judicious about who you give max contracts to, especially now that we are talking $130-140M deals. That's nuts. I wouldn't give that kind of contract to anybody, if I'm a GM. Just because you CAN pay somebody that much doesn't make it a good idea.

I agree with your list, even if you may not. If you want to build a whole roster of good players, you should be very judicious about who you give max contracts to, especially now that we are talking $130-140M deals. That's nuts. I wouldn't give that kind of contract to anybody, if I'm a GM. Just because you CAN pay somebody that much doesn't make it a good idea.

Kawhi is up for the Super Max at $219 million / 5 years.

I think people are struggling with how markets work when looking at this. Lebron and Steph are probably worth 50-60 million, but because of salary caps they can't earn that. That money they would otherwise get goes to other players.

I never said Philly wouldn't sign him. I'm only saying they'll never win a championship with that team.

They're pretty darn good now, don't see how adding LeBron makes them worse. Makes no sense.

They're pretty darn good now, don't see how adding LeBron makes them worse. Makes no sense.

I have a hard time believing this would be a good thing for Simmon's development. Why would you have him on the floor as the same time as LeBron?