CB Duce Chestnut transferring to LSU | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

CB Duce Chestnut transferring to LSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was he dq-ed because he was medically unable to play or was he dq-ed out of convenience to Alabama so that they could fill his spot with another 4-5 star prospect? No need to respond, I know the answer.

This is an informed guess -- but Alabama brings in 4- and 5-star caliber talent every year. The kid who transferred here was taking up a roster spot. He graduated and got his degree, so he was coaxed out the door.

Time will tell whether the two ACL injuries have taken too much of a toll -- but this seems like a worthwhile gamble. We would have been doing back handsprings to land a kid like this out of HS, with his elite offers. If he can produce at a reasonable level, then he's a good add to an already deep and talented DL.

The problem is under the Babers Syracuse has never done well in portal replacing guys who leave. We loose more than we acquire. Throw in mediocre recruiting classes and we are where we are. Its so hard following this program anymore.
Couldn't be more incorrect. This is probably the first time we've lost someone of real significance. Most of the guys that have portalled out to P5 schools from here weren't starters and haven't really done much where they went anyway.

Have you heard of Garret Shrader? He came out of the portal. He says hi. So do Alijah Clark and Carlos Del Rio Wilson. All former 4 stars and significant players here.

Its kind of funny if people take a step back, not one angry post about picking up a kid from Alabama or Nebraska from the portal, but losing a player and people go bananas. Deuce was a very good player for us, but if you are going to lose a stud player CB is probably a position you can handle to lose one at. LB, DE on defense i would say would be a much bigger loss.
I don’t think it’s at all hypocritical to appreciate whatever modest successes SU gets while at the same time acknowledging that the portal framework is seriously if not fatally flawed.

I don't. I hope he struggles on the football field and doesn't get drafted. Just being honest. He quit on us, I didn't quit on him. I can never truly quit SU football because I'm so emotionally tied to it. I'm struggling because they changed, I didn't change.
You didn't do anything for him. You need get a grip on reality

Interesting we will be having some others moving on though not surprisingly. We already know about Tucker. It's sounding uncomfortable so I am guessing some big names on defense. I am guessing completely here but Wax, Carter and Caleb are possible names I could see moving on potentially that would cause some board heartburn. Maybe CDRW on offense. Remember folks we are getting some nice new players from the portal as well. I am sure Swag and Beck have their targets.
CDRW already used up his one transfer without sitting. I don't think it's likely he goes.

CDRW already used up his one transfer without sitting. I don't think it's likely he goes.

He'd be INSANE to leave - would have to sit out a year, or drop down to D2.

He's literally one play away from QB1 here, and the presumptive favorite to land it for the following season.

Zero upside, huge downside.

That's one of the positives about inbound transfers - you've got them after they've used their Get Out Of Jail Free card, so they'll stick around until they get drafted or graduate.

And of course, the other positive is - we're getting a LOT more 4* guys via the portal, than we ever coulda dreamed of crootin' outta HS.

This is all sorts of wrong. We lost someone classified as an "island CB" which if you ask anyone is a rarity. We picked up a guy who was disqualified to make roster space and a freshman that didn't play. I hope they come in and do great things but we are having to worry about losing starters. The bigger programs are dropping bench players with no future in their program. Happy to grab a some 4* guys lost on a bench at a football factory but to add depth not to replace proven starters.
Island CB? the kid was talented I would not ever question that, I do not like he left, but an Island CB? teams were not limiting their offense for Deuce, he was thrown at plenty. I will certainly take $$ bets that after next year or whenever his college days are done he will not be a round 1 or 2 draft pick, which an Island CB would certainly go.

Kid from Alabama was dq-ed from playing there.
and the Nebraska kid isnt, we also have brought in a bunch of other transfers and looking for more. I would not care if they stopped the NIL and transfer portal issues today, but that is the world of college sports today. I do believe there will eventually be changes or it will die down Just my opinion, Boosters like the ones at Texas AM eventually will not like spending millions on low level bowl games or no bowl games at all.

and the Nebraska kid isnt, we also have brought in a bunch of other transfers and looking for more. I would not care if they stopped the NIL and transfer portal issues today, but that is the world of college sports today. I do believe there will eventually be changes or it will die down Just my opinion, Boosters like the ones at Texas AM eventually will not like spending millions on low level bowl games or no bowl games at all.

Candidly I have no idea if that kid played or not.

I just think it's nuts for a starter / team leader type to toss that and start over in what is something of an unknown wether that player realizes it or not.

Island CB? the kid was talented I would not ever question that, I do not like he left, but an Island CB? teams were not limiting their offense for Deuce, he was thrown at plenty. I will certainly take $$ bets that after next year or whenever his college days are done he will not be a round 1 or 2 draft pick, which an Island CB would certainly go.
I think there is some confusion with the standard term of island CB, we all think of the great CBs that offense would never throw that way, and our GW
Dino has said multiple times if you are a CB and want to play on an island come to Syracuse
That's just my thought on the way someone would think Deuce is an island CB otherwise he is not. To many terrible takes on double moves

If and when Duce leaves I’ll care about him about as much as I do about some anonymous cb at Oregon State.

We'll think about Duce until his position gets filled. As much as we now think about Richmond because we've got Mintz.

Maybe 'Duce' was a reference to the number of schools he was going to play for?

We’ve dq-ed kids we could’ve used. Remember when Dr Tucker was the grim reaper?
That’s my point. Alabama had no use for him so they “medically” dq-ed him for purpose of freeing up a roster spot.

Will we have any DBs for the bowl game? This was a joke but now it is a real concern?

The bowls, (that aren't part of the national title determination), have become like minor league playoffs in baseball, especially when the majors had those 40-man rosters in September. It's nice to be in it but you aren't in it with the same team that got you there.

The problem is under the Babers Syracuse has never done well in portal replacing guys who leave. We loose more than we acquire. Throw in mediocre recruiting classes and we are where we are. Its so hard following this program anymore.

We are very much on the positive side. We’ve gained more than lost.

NIl will probably always be around in some capacity, but the way it currently is going is not sustainable. There is only 1 National Champion, Boosters cant continue to spend 2 million plus on QBs and millions more to fill a roster. Look at Texas yes they have huge financial support, but rumors are booster paid 3 million for Ewers, that kid is not giving that $$ back, and who knows how much Arch Manning got? Will we have 2 million dollar back ups on the power house teams? I imagine even if its 5 years down the road things will come back to earth.

Candidly I have no idea if that kid played or not.

I just think it's nuts for a starter / team leader type to toss that and start over in what is something of an unknown wether that player realizes it or not.
$$$$ is the reason i guarantee it.

It’s only my mourning for what once was college athletics that keeps me from laughing out loud. View attachment 223133

We may find ourselves developing more interest in the 'non-revenue' sports like soccer because their rosters will be more stable and a school like Syracuse will have a better chance of doing well. Those images of the fans emptying the stands at the Monmouth game to watch the TVs in the backcourt area might be prescient.

Status
Not open for further replies.