CB Duce Chestnut transferring to LSU | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

CB Duce Chestnut transferring to LSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Duce was our highest rated corner on PFF and ranked 144 overall

Hope we can get it to work out

Unlike OL, you have to believe rating a DB out on an island would be one of the more reliable grades.

I do remember him getting burned a few times this year, especially on double moves by the WR. He would jump too much on the first move and then completely take himself out of the play.

Gonna be some schools trying to attach buyouts clauses to coaches taking kids with them.

If you leave, you owe us $x, plus $x/every student athlete that leaves our school for yours in 1 year.

Might be a tough negotiation, but I’d try it

Interesting. I kind of like that idea.

It also doesn't mean we need to cheer for him. Regardless of his heart felt post the kid turned his back on the coaches and teammates that got him to this point.
I dont wish him any ill will but im certainly not cheering for hi
It also doesn't mean we need to cheer for him. Regardless of his heart felt post the kid turned his back on the coaches and teammates that got him to this point.
I dont wish him any ill will but im certainly not cheering for him.
I'm going to assume he didn't get his degree being a true sophomore so he won't even have a Syracuse degree and if he ever does make it to the league he will always be known as Duce Chestnut out of NOT Syracuse University.

Makes you respect guys like Mikel, Tucker, and probably Williams even more for wanting to stick with Syracuse and the coaches that believed in you out of high school and the relationships you built.

There should be a way players can get paid but not this way. Right now SEC/B10 are bringing in what right now $50m and increasing every year. ACC is $30m+ and will be close to $50m in 5 years. Why don't the players get a cut out of that? Say about $2m annually is given to the players and they break it down on a scale where seniors make more and down to freshman? There has to be a way to stop the tampering and this craziness or the thing that made the sport so popular will be lost and people will be turned away. I don't see how this can be sustainable?

I dont wish him any ill will but im certainly not cheering for him.
Again… no one is asking you to cheer for him, hell he probably isn’t asking anyone for that. And I’ll bring up the job situation again: if you work at a company for 2 years and your team trains you and teaches you the ropes but then your boss leaves, do you HAVE to stay with that company? Wouldn’t you agree it would be a little childish if people in other departments, or worse yet the customers, saw you were leaving and claimed you were “turning your back” on your company?

I mean come on, why is it so hard for adults to recognize this is a job for people. He played out the entire season, helped the team make a bowl game and then his coach left, why isn’t TW getting the “turned his back” treatment? Why is it the player who gets flack despite having every right (same as the coach has) to make his own decisions? It’s embarrassing frankly and shows how unbelievably selfish and out of touch with reality fans are.

Edit; second point, if transferring means turning their back on their teammates, then why are we supporting Gould, why are we okay with Moore or even shrader for that matter? Shouldn’t they be finishing out their careers with the teams that relied on them? It’s just silly.

Last edited:
Again… no one is asking you to cheer for him, hell he probably isn’t asking anyone for that. And I’ll bring up the job situation again: if you work at a company for 2 years and your team trains you and teaches you the ropes but then your boss leaves, do you HAVE to stay with that company? Wouldn’t you agree it would be a little childish if people in other departments, or worse yet the customers, saw you were leaving and claimed you were “turning your back” on your company?

I mean come on, why is it so hard for adults to recognize this is a job for people. He played out the entire season, helped the team make a bowl game and then his coach left, why isn’t TW getting the “turned his back” treatment? Why is it the player who gets flack despite having every right (same as the coach has) to make his own decisions? It’s embarrassing frankly and shows how unbelievably selfish and out of touch with reality fans are.

Edit; second point, if transferring means turning their back on their teammates, then why are we supporting Gould, why are we okay with Moore or even shrader for that matter? Shouldn’t they be finishing out their careers with the teams that relied on them? It’s just silly.
My family has always supported SU. Coaches and players are cheered for and supported while they are part of SU. If a coach leaves or a player leaves i dont cheer for them anymore unless they are on a professional team. If a coach is hired or a player transfers in i cheer for them. Its simple. Im a fan and supporter of Syracuse University.

My family has always supported SU. Coaches and players are cheered for and supported while they are part of SU. If a coach leaves or a player leaves i dont cheer for them anymore unless they are on a professional team. If a coach is hired or a player transfers in i cheer for them. Its simple. Im a fan and supporter of Syracuse University.
No one is asking you to cheer for them. It’s was the first sentence in my post. That being said, Hiurs because you’re not cheering for someone and they don’t play for your team doesn’t mean they are a bad person. That is a child’s mindset that many fans have trouble letting go of.

No one is asking you to cheer for them. It’s was the first sentence in my post. That being said, Hiurs because you’re not cheering for someone and they don’t play for your team doesn’t mean they are a bad person. That is a child’s mindset that many fans have trouble letting go of.
I don't remember ANYONE on this thread saying Duce is a bad person. That is something you just made up in your mind.

I don't remember ANYONE on this thread saying Duce is a bad person. That is something you just made up in your mind.
“Regardless of his heart felt post the kid turned his back on the coaches and teammates that got him to this point.”

If you choose to see that statement in a positive light, feel free but it doesn’t come off that way.

I’d also add the “getting the bag” comments are a reflection of people’s thoughts on who he is

I don't see any post saying that he is a bad person. I'm sure he is a good person. That isn't the point.

Coaches have jobs.

Players are student - athletes (really, it's true) with an eligibility clock. It's not the same thing.

I think a kid like this is taking a needless risk from a football point of view but whatever, onward.

Coaches have jobs.

Players are student - athletes (really, it's true) with an eligibility clock. It's not the same thing.

I think a kid like this is taking a needless risk from a football point of view but whatever, onward.
I wonder how many kids have actually been helped by transferring. Some reports have been posted that many of the kids didn't find a new home. DC is a different story as it looks like he was bought. Still, you take the kid that went to Utah he didn't make out better as he is back looking again. It's a shame that there isn't a governing body to control this.

Coaches have jobs.

It's interesting because he has built a brand as and individual and in a Cuse uniform. Given the brand element curious on where he goes and the ability to carry all of that vs having to rebuild it.

I wonder how many kids have actually been helped by transferring. Some reports have been posted that many of the kids didn't find a new home. DC is a different story as it looks like he was bought. Still, you take the kid that went to Utah he didn't make out better as he is back looking again. It's a shame that there isn't a governing body to control this.

1 transfer I get it. 2 the kid really needs to start asking themselves some questions or at least somebody does

Tons. A lot of coaches aren't great people that don't really care about the kids and the kids walk into a bait and switch.

The number is very high that have been helped.

I think in the last couple years the numbers have been staggering, like 75% don't get D1 scholarship offers, and either have to drop down a level or are out of school.

It's interesting because he has built a brand as and individual and in a Cuse uniform. Given the brand element curious on where he goes and the ability to carry all of that vs having to rebuild it.

Duce is/ was a fan favorite for sure at Syracuse. I think many overlooked some of his shortcomings due to his big play nature and the fact that he was well regarded out of high school and had a great freshman year as well. The $ is great for him and doesn't bother me one bit but he will be just another transfer where he winds up. for the record, I don't think whether he plays in the NFL or not will be effected very much at all over the next 2 years. the scouts will find you and they do their homework. Look at the Bills 6th round draft pick from Villanova. Christian Benford is a rookie corner who has played a ton for the Bills this year

next...

Duce is/ was a fan favorite for sure at Syracuse. I think many overlooked some of his shortcomings due to his big play nature and the fact that he was well regarded out of high school and had a great freshman year as well. The $ is great for him and doesn't bother me one bit but he will be just another transfer where he winds up.

next...

For sure. I hope he does well and harbor no ill will. These youngsters are going to learn about the transition to being a pseudo professional all this change has created and that much like in the workplace you now have an entire new group of people to work with that while familiar with what you bring aren't lining up to be your cheerleader- they expect you to bring it and earn your place.

Right now SEC/B10 are bringing in what right now $50m and increasing every year. ACC is $30m+ and will be close to $50m in 5 years. Why don't the players get a cut out of that?
Why aren't the fans getting a cut of that? Without us there are no TV deals!

I think people confuse indifference and ill will. When people leave our team, I become indifferent regarding their future success. I don’t wish them any ill will, certainly not hoping they fail at their new destination but won’t be paying them any regard either.

Personally, I root for any kid from NJ who was once an Orange.

DeVito, Duce. I'll keep an eye on them. I've watched a fair amount of Illinois games this year. I'll probably watch a few games if Duce goes to a P5 and they are on TV. No guarantees.

Why not? It's fun to root for people.

Because it’s ***Different** when Gould and Shrader do it.

I think some should transfer as they should have prior to the portal and not having to sit out the year. I also think some should take the money if it is available and they can benefit. I question some that have a path to success in their current situation, ( ie playing time and a possible shot at the NFL)

Duce was going to start here for 2 more years and that can almost be guaranteed. When he leaves sure he gets the money and that is his choice but new school, new situation. Say he did go to Nebraska, what if Rhule steps in with White and says something to the effect, I like this other kid better, I recruited him and he comes from a huge school where we want to develop a pipeline etc etc. He's a feshman and has more upside etc, all sorts of crazy things can happen. New school you have to start all over regardless of what was paid or guaranteed in the portal process. Taking a risk but is what it is and not my deal but Duce has earned his PT here and I am sure built some trust with not only White who is now gone but Swag and Dino as well.

No different than changing jobs nobody cares what you did at your old place of work. Starts all over. I give guys who have worked for us a lot longer leash if they have earned it over the years as opposed to a newer employee.

Ooh, it would be interesting to work this angle into NIL deals - if you leave, 10% of incremental NIL earnings come back to us. If every school did that, it brings at least some value from developing kids and some cost to them to leave.

I think people confuse indifference and ill will. When people leave our team, I become indifferent regarding their future success. I don’t wish them any ill will, certainly not hoping they fail at their new destination but won’t be paying them any regard either.
perfectly said. exactly how I feel

I think some should transfer as they should have prior to the portal and not having to sit out the year. I also think some should take the money if it is available and they can benefit. I question some that have a path to success in their current situation, ( ie playing time and a possible shot at the NFL)

Duce was going to start here for 2 more years and that can almost be guaranteed. When he leaves sure he gets the money and that is his choice but new school, new situation. Say he did go to Nebraska, what if Rhule steps in with White and says something to the effect, I like this other kid better, I recruited him and he comes from a huge school where we want to develop a pipeline etc etc. He's a feshman and has more upside etc, all sorts of crazy things can happen. New school you have to start all over regardless of what was paid or guaranteed in the portal process. Taking a risk but is what it is and not my deal but Duce has earned his PT here and I am sure built some trust with not only White who is now gone but Swag and Dino as well.

No different than changing jobs nobody cares what you did at your old place of work. Starts all over. I give guys who have worked for us a lot longer leash if they have earned it over the years as opposed to a newer employee.

Yeah caveat emptor and all that it’s fine I get it. But the veiled and not-so-veiled shots at his character are a bit over the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom