CB Duce Chestnut transferring to LSU | Page 36 | Syracusefan.com

CB Duce Chestnut transferring to LSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feeling some board meltdown vibes in this thread. We kept Jones and Tucker last year. We have kept Wax and Caleb this year. Tucker, Berg, Jones and Williams going draft. We lose a safety and corner. We still have a strong secondary and our defense will be kicking @$$3$ and taking names next year with Wax, Thompson and a bunch others. We have a good chance to have a damn good season next year with our new DC and OC. Keep building on wins and bowls and more talent will come.

JK Johnson is transferring to LSU.

The former Ohio State cornerback announced his commitment to LSU on Sunday, becoming the second former Buckeye cornerback in as many years to take his talents to Baton Rouge.

So an OSU CB is also transferring to LSU. New world of the transfer portal is that all schools are losing people so it is not just SU.
OSU can reload. We can’t

JK Johnson is transferring to LSU.

The former Ohio State cornerback announced his commitment to LSU on Sunday, becoming the second former Buckeye cornerback in as many years to take his talents to Baton Rouge.

So an OSU CB is also transferring to LSU. New world of the transfer portal is that all schools are losing people so it is not just SU.
Ohio State isn't missing anything. That secondary was the problem.

I hope he doesnt play and heres why. We cant have our best players leaving every year. We have it hard enough. We need a precedent of players leaving and it not being greener. Sorry Duce, its not personal.

That said, I otherwise wish him much success and happiness.
Agree. There is no doubt our guys will be watching to see how he and Jahad do in their new destination next year and how they do will affect their future decisions. I don't want either of them getting hurt, but as an SU fan, I can't say I'll be shedding tears if they get beaten out and ride the bench. And I like Duce.

Last edited:
I hope he got that Louisiana oil money.
like from these guys?
1673228752148.png

Congrats to Duce LSU is an elite program. We aren’t losing players to schools like Maryland or Mississippi State.
LSU and Ohio State are big dogs. Not upset losing talent to elite programs. We need to continue developing talent we can’t keep kids from wanting to go to elite programs.
We just took transfers from Alabama and Notre Dame. This is the circle of life in college sports.
Good luck Duce.
It’s not the NFL. How does that help us? We lose the best players that we develop. There is no win in this no matter what spin is put on it.

How about only transfers to programs with better records over a prior five year period need to sit out? It can be a form of competitive imbalance fix.

I like the concept of the immediate transfer as it penalizes the top programs for stock piling lots of talent that may never see the field. They recruit kids as backups and know many will never see the field. But they want to prevent opponents from getting some too.

Nfl is so successful because of parity and a salary cap. Encouraging competitiveness would be a good thing. Helps ratings etc.
What you don’t like watching Georgia , Alabam, Ohio St, Michigan, and Clemson in the final 4 every year

He may not play. But he got paid.
If he doesn’t play he more than likely goes from a Round 2 or Round 3 pick to an UFA. It will take a while for it to sink in with players, but the BiG and SEC powers can cherry-pick the best players from teams like SU as cheap insurance if their 5 star recruits don’t work out.

It’s not the NFL. How does that help us? We lose the best players that we develop. There is no win in this no matter what spin is put on it.
It doesn’t need to help us. I root for the kids. Duce is a good kid.
He is leaving for a bigger fish. I can’t complain about that.
If he was going to Maryland or Mississippi State type of program I would be ticked off.
Those are similar level programs to us.
Duce is getting a promotion I can’t complain he is leaving.
It’s just how college athletics is going to be now. Kids aren’t going to stay if they can go to a better situation they will.

Here is the truth
I don’t know what SU/NIL is giving our players
I don’t know what LSU or Ohio State paid our guys to bolt.
I know players will leave and come in and we won’t know how we fared in the portal wars for quite some time. Relax !

But honestly good for this kid. 100k fans at games. Their team is going to be loaded next year and will compete for natty. And he def got some money. For the kid, those are all wins. Obviously this comes at the fans and SU’s expense but I’m all for 20 year olds helping themselves and their families
I would love it to if I were LSU, minus BK. What about us? We can no longer go with the “We’re a program that develops players”. We are witnessing what our future holds. That's why when your 6-0 with 7-0 in your grasp you have to capitalize.

It doesn’t need to help us. I root for the kids. Duce is a good kid.
He is leaving for a bigger fish. I can’t complain about that.
If he was going to Maryland or Mississippi State type of program I would be ticked off.
Those are similar level programs to us.
Duce is getting a promotion I can’t complain he is leaving.
It’s just how college athletics is going to be now. Kids aren’t going to stay if they can go to a better situation they will.
Why do you even bother watching ?

Why do you even bother watching ?
I enjoy college football. I know our place on the hierarchy. I don’t like losing players like Duce or Jihad but I am not going to cry over spilled milk. Our coaches are paid to build a roster. If a player wants to leave for a blue blood I am not going to complain.
Syracuse takes it fair share of transfers as well.

Duce and Jihad are going to elite schools. We can’t complain about that.

This is a curious choice. If he wanted to showcase himself as a lockdown corner for next year’s draft (which is where the big NFL money is, not for nickels or even safeties) staying at SU was arguably a better choice. CBS listed the talent LSU has at cb and it’s really deep; there’s a decent chance he may not be starting by mid year.
He’s already got the tape from his time here. Nfl scouts can figure that stuff out from everything they have seen and will see

The portal is just a college-free agency.

Sadly, we could not sign Duce or Carter for another year. But, we signed Belamy and Gould on "four-year contracts". It is a cycle. You gain some talent, and you lose some talent. Good luck to all that go, and welcome to all that come.

Because you still root for the team you follow?
He doesn't root for the team he roots for the players. Personally I root for the cloth. Maybe that's just me.

He’s already got the tape from his time here. Nfl scouts can figure that stuff out from everything they have seen and will see

I have no idea how he’ll do at LSU but his SU tape won’t matter if he performs poorly at LSU.

I have no idea how he’ll do at LSU but his SU tape won’t matter if he performs poorly at LSU.
Why would we assume that? The question is what happens if his exposure goes down because he’s a nickel, wasn’t it?

Status
Not open for further replies.