CB Duce Chestnut transferring to LSU | Page 46 | Syracusefan.com

CB Duce Chestnut transferring to LSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really understanding the surprise. He was good here - better as a Frosh in my opinion, but LSU is the deep end of the pool. I'm surprised more that he will get time in the nickel.

With no ill will toward Duce, sometimes being a big fish in a smaller pond works out better in the long run. We shall see.

duce may have craped out. Kid made a choice hopefully it works out, but I could care less at this point he doesn't play for us anymore.
If he was the guy that started the whole fracas in December and was getting into with that girl heading to basic, he would probably be donzo here.

First of all let me say I love Duce and I hope the money is good at LSU but Duce doesn't have the foot speed to cover SEC wideouts who are only making a college pit stop before arriving at a NFL camp

First of all let me say I love Duce and I hope the money is good at LSU but Duce doesn't have the foot speed to cover SEC wideouts who are only making a college pit stop before arriving at a NFL camp

we played 3 SEC teams in the last 10 years. I believe all 3 were ranked. and we were not a good team vs both LSU teams and a decent team vs Missouri.

Did you really see a talent discrepancy that was that big that 1 of our best players couldnt compete against them? 1 LSU game we were playing with our 5th string QB and kept it within fighting distance the entire game. If it wasnt for Fournette being the best player on that field, we could have won.

The 2nd LSU game, we dropped 1 of the easiest TD's in Cuse football history this side of Tim Lane.

I get that the SEC is king of football... I get that we are not a football school anymore. But we competed 11 on 11 over the last decade against better than average SEC teams. Just saying Duce isnt going to be lost in space there.

*Missouri was not ranked and they were not that good in the SEC that year.

we played 3 SEC teams in the last 10 years. I believe all 3 were ranked. and we were not a good team vs both LSU teams and a decent team vs Missouri.

Did you really see a talent discrepancy that was that big that 1 of our best players couldnt compete against them? 1 LSU game we were playing with our 5th string QB and kept it within fighting distance the entire game. If it wasnt for Fournette being the best player on that field, we could have won.

The 2nd LSU game, we dropped 1 of the easiest TD's in Cuse football history this side of Tim Lane.

I get that the SEC is king of football... I get that we are not a football school anymore. But we competed 11 on 11 over the last decade against better than average SEC teams. Just saying Duce isnt going to be lost in space there.

Ugh... Paris Bennet was the best player on the field that game down at LSU. What a missed opportunity...

Totally agree. I don't want to say Schiano was right, but...

Totally agree. I don't want to say Schiano was right, but...

Schiano wasn't close to being right. His lemmings on the RU board said that Chestnut wasn't a "take" for them because he had DE foot speed. That was right before Chestnut went out and set a bunch of state track records.

Now, he probably doesn't have elite speed, maybe not even NFL speed [even though I don't discount his chances], but that doesn't mean he isn't fast enough to excel in the secondary even at the SEC level.

Schiano's rationalization wasn't correct nor factual, it was sour grapes.

Schiano wasn't close to being right. His lemmings on the RU board said that Chestnut wasn't a "take" for them because he had DE foot speed. That was right before Chestnut went out and set a bunch of state track records.

Now, he probably doesn't have elite speed, maybe not even NFL speed [even though I don't discount his chances], but that doesn't mean he isn't fast enough to excel in the secondary even at the SEC level.

Schiano's rationalization wasn't correct nor factual, it was sour grapes.
My take is we seem to take bigger chances on "tweeners" than other, even peer, P5 programs. Duce definitely doesn't have the speed to be an elite corner, not that there's anything wrong with that. He also, is undersized for safety, although he tackles far better than his actual size too.

My take is we seem to take bigger chances on "tweeners" than other, even peer, P5 programs. Duce definitely doesn't have the speed to be an elite corner, not that there's anything wrong with that. He also, is undersized for safety, although he tackles far better than his actual size too.

Duce Chestnut was a good player here, dispelling what Schiano said about him.

He was at his best playing alongside Garret Williams, who was a true #1 corner [a rarity]. Nothing wrong with that.

Chestnut was not bad for a “tweener”.

Freshman DB Darian Chestnut earned his third Freshman All-America selection from a major publication on Tuesday, as he was named to ESPN's True Freshman All-America Team.

Duce had previously been awarded freshman All-America honors from Pro Football Focus and 247 Sports. The Camden, New Jersey native finished second in ACC Defensive Rookie of the Year voting and was named a third team All-ACC selection at corner.

He would have gotten paid at Syracuse as well. That’s the part being left out. Would it have been as much as LSU? Hell if I know, the people with more knowledge of the collectives can comment on that. But it’s not like he wouldn’t have gotten anything here. And he would have been starting on a team that has a good possibility of being ranked this year.

He wouldn’t have been paid the same money at Syracuse

But, he would likely have gotten a sizable paycheck.

Sad to see Duce go, especially because he had a lot of love for Syracuse.

Truly think this is a case where he was promised something and quickly realized once he got there, it wasn’t going to be as easy as he had thought.

I really don't remember him getting beat in foot races. The times he has been beat that stick out to me were on some double moves and those were mostly his freshman season as I recall. Last year he just didn't make as many big plays but he was pretty darn solid as a CB. I think he could certainly play CB at LSU. He is a good physical corner who can make plays and can tackle well. Can he play CB in the NFL i'm not sure but you are totally downplaying his skills. If we had him on our roster this year I'd be ecstatic.

I really don't remember him getting beat in foot races. The times he has been beat that stick out to me were on some double moves and those were mostly his freshman season as I recall. Last year he just didn't make as many big plays but he was pretty darn solid as a CB. I think he could certainly play CB at LSU. He is a good physical corner who can make plays and can tackle well. Can he play CB in the NFL i'm not sure but you are totally downplaying his skills. If we had him on our roster this year I'd be ecstatic.
I would be ecstatic too. Just saying Duce was more of a right place, at right time, in our program kind of guy. I think his best attribute as a corner, is his play at the line of scrimmage, against the run.:confused:

He got beat on a lot of double moves.

He improved a bit over the course of last season but was still a major liability

Multiple times I remember getting frustrated with him because he would give up on plays

He wouldn’t have been paid the same money at Syracuse

But, he would likely have gotten a sizable paycheck.

Sad to see Duce go, especially because he had a lot of love for Syracuse.

Truly think this is a case where he was promised something and quickly realized once he got there, it wasn’t going to be as easy as he had thought.
I would have to agree with you because he basically got recruited over in the same portal recruiting class he came in. That’s cutthroat as hell.

I would be ecstatic too. Just saying Duce was more of a right place, at right time, in our program kind of guy. I think his best attribute as a corner, is his play at the line of scrimmage, against the run.:confused:
or tackles in space on screen passes. I thought he was fantastic in this area.

I would have to agree with you because he basically got recruited over in the same portal recruiting class he came in. That’s cutthroat as hell.
Not sure about that. He didn't even play in the spring at LSU. Not surprised they brought in another for insurance.

Another? They brought in 3 more corners from the portal after Duce committed to them and all higher ranked in the portal. That’s called getting recruited over.
My mistake. I thought you were replying to a different comment so I misinterpreted what you were saying.

The key is: what is better for SU? Do we want guys who transfer out to do well or do we want them to flop?

The key is: what is better for SU? Do we want guys who transfer out to do well or do we want them to flop?
Honestly, my initial thought is - Flop
Big boys thinking our guys are just program fits, would more likely keep them from poaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.