CB Duce Chestnut transferring to LSU | Page 37 | Syracusefan.com

CB Duce Chestnut transferring to LSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s going to kill college sports for most schools, if it keeps up.

They need to bring back the “transfers sit out a year” rule.
Yeah. There's little advantage to being a program that's good at identifying and recruiting lesser known diamonds. The factories can let you find them then swoop in and nab them after they've made a name for themselves.

I won't begrudge their decisions, but the biggest bummer of all this is when they have their Monday Night Football intros in a couple years, they will be telling the NFL world they're from The Ohio State University and LSU. Most fans, including high school prospects, watching won't know those two ever attended Syracuse.

I won't begrudge their decisions, but the biggest bummer of all this is when they have their Monday Night Football intros in a couple years, they will be telling the NFL world they're from The Ohio State University and LSU. Most fans, including high school prospects, watching won't know those two ever attended Syracuse.
And we’re the ones that found them, gave them a shot, showcased them, and developed them.

This whole system is stupid. Minor league sports without salary caps or really any type of rules.

The biggest bummer to me is all the time spent by the staff identifying and recruiting, then developing a guy, then, as a fan, being excited to see them develop and imagining how they can be a piece of the puzzle to elevate your team to increased success as other pieces are identified and developed only to have it gone before the pieces can be put together. For a team like us that depends so much on developing guys, it feels like spinning your wheels.

Last edited:
The portal is just a college-free agency.

Sadly, we could not sign Duce or Carter for another year. But, we signed Belamy and Gould on "four-year contracts". It is a cycle. You gain some talent, and you lose some talent. Good luck to all that go, and welcome to all that come.
This is how I’m trying to look at it. Both Duce and Jahad got paid. Good for them but not great for Syracuse. They will be off to the NFL next year. We brought in two very talented prospects that were highly rated recruits that didn’t get action in their true freshman seasons. Not a lot of kids get much action their true freshman seasons. Especially when you consider Bellamy was at Notre Dame who obviously has a great amount of talent. They both likely left to come here for PT and play for proven DB coaches. And we probably didn’t have to give them much in NIL to get them. These players may develop into really good players as well. If they do we may get a net positive as we will have these kids for at least 2 seasons each and they can’t just leave for greener pastures without sitting out a year. We’re giving up high end proven talent for highly regarded younger prospects that we will have for a longer period of time. It’s a negative for us this season but could be a total net positive later on. That’s my hope anyway.

Last edited:
This is how I’m trying to look at it. Both Duce and Jahad got paid. Good for them but not great for Syracuse. They will be off to the NFL next year. We brought in two very talented prospects that were highly rated recruits that didn’t get action in their true freshman seasons. Not a lot of kids get much action their true freshman seasons. Especially when you consider Bellamy was at Notre Dame who obviously has A great amount of talent. They both likely left to come here for PT and play for proven DB coaches. And we probably didn’t have to give them much in NIL to get them. These players may develop into really good players as well. If they do we may get a net positive as we will have these kids for at least 2 seasons each and they can’t just leave for greener pastures without sitting out a year. We’re giving up high end proven talent for highly regarded younger prospects that we will have for a longer period of time. It’s a negative for us this season but could be a total net positive later on. That’s my hope anyway.
So we're trading proven talent for unproven potential.

Correct. but higher rated prospects than we typically get and for a longer period of time. Just saying it may not be as horrible as everyone thinks.
I guess we'll have ro wait and see.

Related question on this; I know teams used to only be able to sign 25 players a class, but with losing transfers and signing transfers, have the rules in these numbers changed?

Last edited:
The biggest bummer to me is all the time spent by the staff identifying and recruiting, then developing a guy, then, as a fan, being excited to see them develop and imagining how they can be a piece of the puzzle to elevate your team to increased success as other pieces are identified as developed only to have it gone before the pieces can be put together. For a team like us that depends so much on developing guys, it feels like apinning your wheels.
I'm afraid CFB is going the way of CBB. That was my favorite part of being a fan. Watching guys like Moten, Sherm, Owens, and even watching guys like Rak go from whipping boy to all-conference. I can hardly watch college hoops anymore.

I love college football just as much but this has been such a turn off. I can only watch Bama, Georgia, Ohio St, Michigan, and Clemson play in the playoff so many times before you just say what's the point.

At least NFL there is a salary cap and anybody can win.

I'm afraid CFB is going the way of CBB. That was my favorite part of being a fan. Watching guys like Moten, Sherm, Owens, and even watching guys like Rak go from whipping boy to all-conference. I can hardly watch college hoops anymore.

I love college football just as much but this has been such a turn off. I can only watch Bama, Georgia, Ohio St, Michigan, and Clemson play in the playoff so many times before you just say what's the point.

At least NFL there is a salary cap and anybody can win.
The NFL has a thing called tampering too and contracts. This whole system or lack of a system is a disaster for fans of a program like Syracuse.

The portal is just a college-free agency.

Sadly, we could not sign Duce or Carter for another year. But, we signed Belamy and Gould on "four-year contracts". It is a cycle. You gain some talent, and you lose some talent. Good luck to all that go, and welcome to all that come.
Hey hey hey. This is wayyyy too sensible of a post. Not sure if that’s allowed here…

The biggest bummer to me is all the time spent by the staff identifying and recruiting, then developing a guy, then, as a fan, being excited to see them develop and imagining how they can be a piece of the puzzle to elevate your team to increased success as other pieces are identified and developed only to have it gone before the pieces can be put together. For a team like us that depends so much on developing guys, it feels like spinning your wheels.
If you need to find a way to lie to yourself that it's ok, this is the way I think of it -

Both of these guys pretty much started games right from the jump, right? Duce as a two year starter, Carter as a three year starter.

If a guy didn't play much early, but then gave us 2-3 good years as a high level starter we'd feel pretty good about that, right?

In this case, we just happened to get the starting years on the front end.

The NFL has a thing called tampering too and contracts. This whole system or lack of a system is a disaster for fans of a program like Syracuse.
Without a doubt. We can't buy our teams are and now we can't develop them. Schools in similar positions are in trouble.

If you need to find a way to lie to yourself that it's ok, this is the way I think of it -

Both of these guys pretty much started games right from the jump, right? Duce as a two year starter, Carter as a three year starter.

If a guy didn't play much early, but then gave us 2-3 good years as a high level starter we'd feel pretty good about that, right?

In this case, we just happened to get the starting years on the front end.
Yeah but don't you want those guys when their veterans you developed? Carter improved so much from his Freshman year he was a different player. Duce probably had a better Freshman year but this year he mostly got the top WR after Williams went down.

I'm definitely open to other options to spin it haha

Yeah but don't you want those guys when their veterans you developed? Carter improved so much from his Freshman year he was a different player. Duce probably had a better Freshman year but this year he mostly got the top WR after Williams went down.

I'm definitely open to other options to spin it haha
Of course you want them.

But I said you have to lie to yourself.

Their seasons at tOSU and LSU next season, it's basically like they declared for the NFL. That's the way to look at it.

I know - I am old fashioned, out of date, it’s a new world…..No ranting, no raving, I guess I just believe in dancing with the one who brought you, not who bought you. Just find it sad.

I know - I am old fashioned, out of date, it’s a new world…..No ranting, no raving, I guess I just believe in dancing with the one who brought you, not who bought you. Just find it sad.
1673240572717.jpeg

So the “Syracuse transfer” will be rocking his HS colors in Baton Rouge. The times they are a changing. Hoping this will somehow all work out for us in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.