Class of 2017 - CB Ifeatu Melifonwu (MA) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 CB Ifeatu Melifonwu (MA) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

That was Jamar Summers their highly touted CB that AET schooled.
I remember it was an all AAC player who was projected to go high in the draft...I assumed it was IFFY...didn't realize they had 2 of that caliber.

I remember it was an all AAC player who was projected to go high in the draft...I assumed it was IFFY...didn't realize they had 2 of that caliber.
I'm sure Summers wasn't as "highly touted" after the AET mismatch. Scorched numerous times. Still can't believe Diaco didn't give more safety help.

Suite Sports: Melifonwu Sticks With Syracuse, Despite Late Michigan Offer

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

With his mother at his side, Grafton star Ifeatu Melifonwu made it official, signing with Syracuse Wednesday.
By Joe Parello (@HerewegoJoe)

Even late interest from one of football's most recognizable coaches, and an offer to play for one of the NCAA's most prestigious programs didn't sway Grafton's Ifeatu Melifonwu.

The star athlete, who helped lead Grafton to the MIAA Division 3 state championship game at Gillette Stadium in December, officially signed with Syracuse, the school he committed to last summer, during a ceremony in the school library Wednesday.

Melifonwu's destination was one of the state's biggest questions heading into National Signing Day, as Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh personally attended one of Melifonwu's basketball games earlier this month, and the Wolverines formally extended a scholarship offer last Friday, just as Melifonwu was leaving Ann Arbor for a final trip to Syracuse.

"It was pretty cool having (Harbaugh) here, because it was kind of like having a celebrity," Melifonwu said with a chuckle. "But really I just felt comfortable at Syracuse. The coaching staff is great. They've always been honest with me, and that's rare, so I've formed a great relationship with them."

Melifonwu was primarily recruited by Syracuse defensive coordinator Brian Ward, with some help from secondary coach Nick Monroe, but also chose the Orange because they kept his options open when it came to choosing a position. The 6-foot-3 athlete said he is relishing the chance to play either corner or safety in the Syracuse's Cover 2, where his length should be a major asset, but said he could also end up with the ball in his hands.

"Another thing was (the Syracuse coaches) said I might be able to play running back," Melifonwu said. "So don't be surprised to see me back there."

Considering Melifonwu rushed for nearly 1,900 yards and 25 touchdowns on an absurd 9.4 yards per carry for the Indians last year, that might not be a bad idea.

I thought they would see what he looked like at WR but this RB talk sounds a little silly to me. He's 6'-3". Who does he think he is...Eddie George?!? Just glad he is Cuse! :cool: Think he'll be a very good DB here.

I thought they would see what he looked like at WR but this RB talk sounds a little silly to me. He's 6'-3". Who does he think he is...Eddie George?!? Just glad he is Cuse! :cool: Think he'll be a very good DB here.
Watch his video. The kid is a freak athlete.

Watch his video. The kid is a freak athlete.
I agree on the freak athlete. But his height is not an advantage at RB. Not many play RB at that size and our offense is more suited to a powerful down hill runner. On the other hand, 6'-3" as a DB is a nice advantage and something we severely need.

Holy Shiite did we luck out here. Good work by the staff. They must have been a lot more confident than I was. :confused:
Not to be a stickler here, but how is it we "lucked out" by this kid finally signing? We didn't just stumble into this commit- he looked at all sides and yes, CHOSE to be an Orangeman. Dino and staff closed the deal after a late push by one of the big boys. No "luck" whatsoever.

Not to be a stickler here, but how is it we "lucked out" by this kid finally signing? We didn't just stumble into this commit- he looked at all sides and yes, CHOSE to be an Orangeman. Dino and staff closed the deal after a late push by one of the big boys. No "luck" whatsoever.
Of course there is luck involved. You're trying to sell a program and a vision to teenagers. You can do your 100% best, give it all you've got, and you're still not guaranteed of success. This kid was seriously considering Michigan within a week of signing day. We had no guarantee here.

If there were no luck involved, Palmer would be an Orangeman now as well.

Suite Sports: Melifonwu Sticks With Syracuse, Despite Late Michigan Offer

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

With his mother at his side, Grafton star Ifeatu Melifonwu made it official, signing with Syracuse Wednesday.
By Joe Parello (@HerewegoJoe)

Even late interest from one of football's most recognizable coaches, and an offer to play for one of the NCAA's most prestigious programs didn't sway Grafton's Ifeatu Melifonwu.

The star athlete, who helped lead Grafton to the MIAA Division 3 state championship game at Gillette Stadium in December, officially signed with Syracuse, the school he committed to last summer, during a ceremony in the school library Wednesday.

Melifonwu's destination was one of the state's biggest questions heading into National Signing Day, as Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh personally attended one of Melifonwu's basketball games earlier this month, and the Wolverines formally extended a scholarship offer last Friday, just as Melifonwu was leaving Ann Arbor for a final trip to Syracuse.

"It was pretty cool having (Harbaugh) here, because it was kind of like having a celebrity," Melifonwu said with a chuckle. "But really I just felt comfortable at Syracuse. The coaching staff is great. They've always been honest with me, and that's rare, so I've formed a great relationship with them."

Melifonwu was primarily recruited by Syracuse defensive coordinator Brian Ward, with some help from secondary coach Nick Monroe, but also chose the Orange because they kept his options open when it came to choosing a position. The 6-foot-3 athlete said he is relishing the chance to play either corner or safety in the Syracuse's Cover 2, where his length should be a major asset, but said he could also end up with the ball in his hands.

"Another thing was (the Syracuse coaches) said I might be able to play running back," Melifonwu said. "So don't be surprised to see me back there."

Considering Melifonwu rushed for nearly 1,900 yards and 25 touchdowns on an absurd 9.4 yards per carry for the Indians last year, that might not be a bad idea.

Wow... 1,900 yards while playing both ways.

I aslso think Harbough displayed his arrogance in recruiting this kid as the offer came when he was boarding a flight to Syracuse on his official visit.

Did the arrogant one think Ifeatu would just skip the visit and sit and wait for an offer that might not come?

Of course there is luck involved. You're trying to sell a program and a vision to teenagers. You can do your 100% best, give it all you've got, and you're still not guaranteed of success. This kid was seriously considering Michigan within a week of signing day. We had no guarantee here.

Luck implies chance more than effort. It suggests extenuating circumstances having a greater impact on his choice, rather than the kid simply having a preference for SU.
Bad luck would be if a relative got sick and he wanted to stay closer to home, and therefore accepted another offer. Good luck might be Michigan wanting him to play out of position, or running out of schollies, & us being in position to have him do both.
There is no indication that this was anything more than a kid having a choice between us and UM, and he chose us, "luck" be damned. He was officially offered on Friday, and had plenty of time to flip, but didn't.
A wise man once said: "The harder I work, the luckier I get".
I'd wager that's what Dino and company would say was the main factor, as to why they bagged this signee.

I wouldn't say he was seriously considering UM, but he'd be crazy not to go for that visit and listen to what Harbaugh had to say. He ended up with SU because of his relationships with the coaching staff and players, which means he knew what he wanted out of his college experience.

I understood that HC Harbaugh and coach Brown wasn't even there during his visit or maybe until he was ready to catch his return flight home.

I wouldn't say he was seriously considering UM, but he'd be crazy not to go for that visit and listen to what Harbaugh had to say. He ended up with SU because of his relationships with the coaching staff and players, which means he knew what he wanted out of his college experience.
So I'll just say we dodged a bullet then. ;)

I'm just happy we got him. Staff was probably a lot less concerned than I was! I should drink more and think less when it comes to this sort of thing.

Watch the video above...to see how he pronounces his full name. We should send this to all the ESPN/ACC Network folks.

Watch the video above...to see how he pronounces his full name. We should send this to all the ESPN/ACC Network folks.
Like they are going to get Markenzys' name right either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom