Celebrities in SU gear | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Celebrities in SU gear

Some years back in this thread is a picture of Bobcat Goldthwait. And this is about Bobcat and Syracuse. So gather ‘round children while Old Uncle Dick tells you the story of his Bobcat Goldthwait Experience.

About 20 years ago Bobcat was appearing at a small standup club locally here in Michigan. I knew that he had grown up in East Syracuse and my wife and I got a table at the edge of the stage on the right side. Bobcat comes out and about ten minutes into his act he says “I grew up in Syracuse, NY. Our mascot is the Orange (yelling in the Bobcat voice) because there’s so many orange trees in Syracuse!!!” Which, needless to say, is pretty funny.

Taking that opportunity, I called out “East Syracuse!” Surprised, he looks over at me.

Bobcat: “Yeah, that’s right! Wait….do you mean me or you?”

Me: “Both of us”

Bobcat: “Where did you grow up?”

Me: “Not far from Carrier Circle”

Bobcat: “OK! I grew up (I seem to recall he said Fremont)”

Bobcat: “Did you graduate from ESM?”

Me: “Yeah I did. ESM and then Syracuse University. And you graduated from Grimes, right?”

Bobcat: “That’s right! Well, I went to ESM too (in the Bobcat voice) but they don’t like to talk about it!” (Editor’s note- I am about 11-12 years older than Bobcat so we never overlapped at any point in school)

I’m sure the audience was wondering “uh, what’s going on here?”

Anyway, Bobcat goes back to his act and about ten minutes later he comes over and says “Hey, when you were in high school did you ever hang around outside of Fremont Lanes and ask older guys to buy beer for you?”

Me: “Um, no”

Bobcat: “Oh, OK!”

And so it went. Every 10-15 minutes Bobcat would come over to my side of the stage and initiate a short conversation about something related to Syracuse. It probably messed up the flow of his show and I’m sure the audience probably hated the interludes.

Me? I thought it was great.
Saw him do a bit:. "Me, Tom Cruise and Richard Gere are all from Syracuse. Must be something in the water.".

Does he have a daughter enrolled?
5B10151B-BB00-44EA-B6E4-AE806BA156BE.jpeg

So did my sister. Tom Kenny (SpongeBob) was his best friend and fellow classmate.
I went K-12 with Bobby (except the few days he spent in September at ESM his freshman year). Spent many a night wandering Fremont with him and other friends and spending the night at his house (I was a "villager"). I still keep in touch and see him occasionally at shows or in CA when I go there. While I was good friends with Tommy later at St. Matt's and in HS, we have not kept in touch since he left Syracuse in the 80s. Both are great guys and brilliant hard-workers who didn't play it safe ...they followed their dreams. As for repping Syracuse, Bob has a salt potato tattoo on his arm.

Last edited:
I went K-12 with Bobby (except the few days he spent in September at ESM his freshman year). Spent many a night wandering Fremont with him and other friends and spending the night at his house (I was a "villager"). I still keep in touch and see him occasionally at shows or in CA when I go there. While I was good friends with Tommy later at St. Matt's and in HS, we have not kept in touch since he left Syracuse in the 80s. Both are great guys and brilliant hard-workers who didn't play it safe ...they followed their dreams. As for repping Syracuse, Bob has a salt potato tattoo on his arm.
Did you go to Grimes as well?

2AD25477-E145-4B18-8BB0-2456A5599E0B.jpeg
B8398B31-A768-4B8D-944E-01CE357EF20E.jpeg

My sister was a '79 grad from BG. The rest of us went to either Ludden or JD.

I was a 83 Grad from BG, and overlapped one year with Bob and Tom. They didn't know any of us Freshman when they were Seniors. They had some amazingly hilarious shows in the talent nights. The nuns hated them! :)

IMG_9002.jpg
IMG_9072.jpg

Up-and-coming pop star Claire Cottrill. Goes by the moniker "Clairo". Enrolled in the Bandier Program in 2017 and dropped out in 2018 to tour with some pretty big Music Acts such as: Khalid, Tyler the Creator, Post Malone, Dua Lipa, Lorde, The Weeknd, and to play at festivals such as: Lollapalooza, Coachella, Bonnaroo just to name a few. She dropped her debut album "Immunity" in 2019 and recently won NME's "Best New Act in the World" award.

IMG_9460.jpg

This is Claire and Claud(ia) Mintz. Who is also an up-and-coming pop star that goes by the Moniker "Claud". They are best friends and met when they enrolled in the Bandier Program. Not sure if Claudia is still enrolled or not-- she was touring before COVID-19 if i'm correct. It's good to see all of the success coming out of the Bandier Program though!

View attachment 179688 View attachment 179689

Up-and-coming pop star Claire Cottrill. Goes by the moniker "Clairo". Enrolled in the Bandier Program in 2017 and dropped out in 2018 to tour with some pretty big Music Acts such as: Khalid, Tyler the Creator, Post Malone, Dua Lipa, Lorde, The Weeknd, and to play at festivals such as: Lollapalooza, Coachella, Bonnaroo just to name a few. She dropped her debut album "Immunity" in 2019 and recently won NME's "Best New Act in the World" award.

View attachment 179695

This is Claire and Claud(ia) Mintz. Who is also an up-and-coming pop star that goes by the Moniker "Claud". They are best friends and met when they enrolled in the Bandier Program. Not sure if Claudia is still enrolled or not-- she was touring before COVID-19 if i'm correct. It's good to see all of the success coming out of the Bandier Program though!
Good info. Much appreciated

View attachment 179688 View attachment 179689

View attachment 179695

I didn’t know what the Bandier Program was. Sounds very cool. Those Newhouse people...always staying ahead of the curve!

I didn’t know what the Bandier Program was. Sounds very cool. Those Newhouse people...always staying ahead of the curve!

drew taggart from the chainsmokers was also a Bandier student

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom