Chance Amie... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Chance Amie...

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was talk preseason of Devito starting over Dungey on this board - that was lunacy and so is this. Tommy is going to start. If he stumbles due to injury like Dungey did then we will see Amie.
The reason that talk of TD starting over Eric was lunacy was because ED was a 3 year starter and proven commodity.

Devito is still none of those things. HE hasn't started a game and we still really don't know definitively if what he can really do. Those are facts.

What does Dino always say? Consistently good, not occasionally great.

Devito has been neither consistent in his appearances, nor great.

He has an opportunity next season to prove what he is capable of and so does Amie. Just like CL said, nobody is the ordained starter, it is always a competition.

May the best man win, I am looking forward to the battle as well as the result. They will push each other to be the best each of them can be.

CAN'T. FREAKING. WAIT!!

Maybe I'm not thinking this through, but if Amie was that close, why didn't Babers stick him in the couple games we needed a change? Babers stuck TD because that's who he believes is ready. Now, maybe Chance makes up ground, but right now TD is the guy for next year. We all agree he hasn't hit his ceiling, so unless something drastic happens, I would expect TD to continue to progress at a trajectory similar to Chance's.

The reason that talk of TD starting over Eric was lunacy was because ED was a 3 year starter and proven commodity.

Devito is still none of those things. HE hasn't started a game and we still really don't know definitively if what he can really do. Those are facts.

He has an opportunity next season to prove what he is capable of and so does Amie. Just like CL said, nobody is the ordained starter, it is always a competition.

May the best man win, I am looking forward to the battle as well as the result. They will push each other to be the best each of them can be.

CAN'T. FREAKING. WAIT!!

He was great against UNC. 3 TD passes in the last 5 minutes of the game in OT? Almost immediately connecting on two bombs that he put right on the money?

He many yards did he throw for in that limited time? 175 or something?

CAN'T. FREAKING. WAIT!!

He was great in the FSU game and the UNC game. Enough so, that his performance in the FSU game created a mini-QB controversy.

He was great in the FSU game and the UNC game. Enough so, that his performance in the FSU game created a mini-QB controversy.
So 2 TD's against FSU was "great"? I would argue it was average at best, would that performance have been deemed as "great" if it had come from Dungey? Nope, we would say he was injured or not right in some way or some other such nonsense.

UNC, Maybe... but you could chalk that type of performance to being similar to the 3rd string 3 point shooter lighting up the zone.

CAN'T. FREAKING. WAIT!!

Did you stop watching FSU at half and UNC in the 4th quarter. Not even considering the impossible situation he was put in he was pretty great in those games.

So 2 TD's against FSU was "great"? I would argue it was average at best, would that performance have been deemed as "great" if it had come from Dungey? Nope, we would say he was injured or not right in some way or some other such nonsense.

So if the 24 points produced by TD in a half was "average at best",how would you describe the 6 that were produces by ED in the other half of the same game?

All I know is if Amie trots out next year as the game 1 starter we all should sit back and enjoy because the kid must be an absolute monster.

I don't think people realize just how highly Dino must think of TD. Just think Babers had the balls to go with TD for what could have been the VERY last drive of the game vs UNC, with arguably the season on the line. Same thing when he went to him at half vs FSU. Remind you this was a redshirt FR basically getting the nod in immensely crucial situations in ACC play, while benching your all world, face of the program, 4 year starter, SR QB. You know how crazy that is, and how much faith Dino must have in this kid? You guys are nuts if you don't think he is the heavy favorite to be the QB for the next 3 years. BUT if we do see Amie win the job. Well let's just say we are all going to be in for a treat.
Those same things you mention is the reason why I say there's a chance. Dino would do anything to win. He thinks highly of both. Everyone should think Devito is the favorite. If he's healthy come September, there's no doubt he walks out as the starter but Amie is gonna push and there's no telling how much of a jump he may make with another year of development and increased reps.

He was great against UNC. 3 TD passes in the last 5 minutes of the game in OT? Almost immediately connecting on two bombs that he put right on the money?

He many yards did he throw for in that limited time? 175 or something?
Exactly. Let's also not forget that his very 1st pass coming in cold off the bench vs. ND was an NFL-level bomb that should've been caught for a TD by Nykeim. His pass on the run 2 plays later was also big time & could've easily been a TD had Custis tracked it. IMO, he's shown more pure arm/accuracy/passing talent in limited time this year than Dungey has in his career. There's no bigger Dungey fan than myself but I honestly believe that next year with TD at the helm, we'll see exactly how this offense is supposed to run. I predict he breaks every single-season passing record in school history & then does the same the following year...before anyone flames, give that some serious thought because it's hardly far-fetched.

Donnie McPhearson said the same thing about Billy Scharr and Billy never panned out. Lets see how TD does on the field when defenses have a chance to game plan him.

Totally agree. I hope to see a solid QB Spring/preseason battle between Tommy, Chance, and whomever else Dino brings in. I do think Dino will bring in another QB one way or another. Tommy has the edge in experience, he has a live arm and would seem to have the overall head start, but 50% passing and 4 TD's against 3 INTS and little running ability doesn't make him an "automatic". Not to me anyway. It probably depends on what the Big Guy sees everyday in practice though, as we have only had a small glimpse, relatively speaking.

CAN'T. FREAKING. WAIT!!
But you are assuming that Aime is? Has Aime taken a college snap? DeVito came in cold off the bench twice and won games. If you think Dungey would have made a difference against ND, your nuts. Yah, maybe 36-13.

Donnie McPhearson said the same thing about Billy Scharr and Billy never panned out. Lets see how TD does on the field when defenses have a chance to game plan him.
That's not fair to Scharr. You had a pocket passer running an option offense because DeLeone was a friggin moron.

FACTS
I heard same thing but he isn’t as consistent throwing yet but close. They say it looks like he barely flicks his wrist and the ball flyes. Great ft too. Devito has speed but he could run too just should slide so he doesn’t get hurt.

The coaches love Chance. Don't count him out.

We have a decent sample size for TD's abilities. Statistically his numbers don't scream "ordained starter". To be fair, he was thrust into a couple of tough situations. TD's abilities/style need strong OL play in front of him. Next year's OL play is what worries me most...especially pass protection. Chance's mobility might be the ace in the hole that gets him on the field.
Dino hand picked Tommy Devito. He’s a perfect fit for the offense Dino wants to run, it’s been said time and time again. Chance is going to have a role bc he’s such a gifted athlete but no way Tommy Devito isn’t our starter next year.

TD is no doubt the starter. Amie is a little raw but when he fills into his size and matures he could be special. But TDs throwing ability is amazing, and don’t sleep on his mobility... no he isn’t going to run guys over like Dungey, but tommy is quick. Also, think of Dino at bowling green... the QB he had was very similar to tommy. A gun slinger. I think tommy is going to thrive next year
That wasn't against the type of defenses, Syracuse see's every week in the ACC. We need to be able to have a QB extend some plays. Hopefully TD will show some of that ability.

Does that mean Dino didn't "hand pick" Chance?
There’s a difference, Tommy was the guy from day 1. He was Dino’s guy. There were some points where chance wasn’t even the number 1 QB on our board. Obviously I’m not saying we didn’t want him, I’m just saying there’s a difference between the two.

Chance Amie will be looked at extensively with the 1's. Count on it.

It's Tommy's job to lose, but I think that competition might be tighter than many think. Chance has truly turned heads since he arrived here over the summer.
Me too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors