Chance Amie... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Chance Amie...

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s a difference, Tommy was the guy from day 1. He was Dino’s guy. There were some points where chance wasn’t even the number 1 QB on our board. Obviously I’m not saying we didn’t want him, I’m just saying there’s a difference between the two.
I could make a similar argument that after coaching in the ACC for two years, Dino thought he needed a true dual threat QB to succeed.

I'm not suggesting that this happened but it makes as much sense as TD being Dino's one and only "hand picked" number one QB. Players get recruited over all the time.

Just want to take a moment to be thankful that we get to have these types of discussions about having too much talent at the QB position going into a year where we'll have a new starter.

The more of these discussions at each position, the better we'll be.

I could make a similar argument that after coaching in the ACC for two years, Dino thought he needed a true dual threat QB to succeed.

I'm not suggesting that this happened but it makes as much sense as TD being Dino's one and only "hand picked" number one QB. Players get recruited over all the time.
Players do get recruited over all the time, but I’m struggling to understand why you think we’d over recruit our gem of the 2016 class before he’s even started a game. Everybody was calling for him after he brought us back against UNC, but he gets thrown into the fire against a top 3 team and struggles so now all the sudden it’s chances team next year? You don’t need a true dual threat to be competitive in the ACC Trevor Lawrence, Ryan Finley? Tommy Devito is the perfect QB for Dino’s offense.

Players do get recruited over all the time, but I’m struggling to understand why you think we’d over recruit our gem of the 2016 class before he’s even started a game. Everybody was calling for him after he brought us back against UNC, but he gets thrown into the fire against a top 3 team and struggles so now all the sudden it’s chances team next year?
I'm not suggesting that...I really like TD and believe it's his job to lose. My point is that all positions are an open competition and Chance shouldn't be counted out.

As Dino always says: he plays the players that give the team the best opportunity to win.

Players do get recruited over all the time, but I’m struggling to understand why you think we’d over recruit our gem of the 2016 class before he’s even started a game. Everybody was calling for him after he brought us back against UNC, but he gets thrown into the fire against a top 3 team and struggles so now all the sudden it’s chances team next year? You don’t need a true dual threat to be competitive in the ACC Trevor Lawrence, Ryan Finley? Tommy Devito is the perfect QB for Dino’s offense.

Posters will want Chance to play as soon as devito struggles at any point next year. Look what happened with Dungey this year in the middle of the season.

I think a lot of the decision will lie with the OL. Dungey’s mobility hides a lot of warts. If the staff thinks they can keep the pocket “clean” and supplement it with an efficient run game,I think DeVito starts, but if there are signs that it may be a work in progress, I think they will be tempted to insert Chance and run essentially the same offense we see this year.

TD’s offense will no doubt be a slingfest. It will be a very interesting battle.

One of them isn’t here after next summer. Neither want to sit. Both want to Be the man. While he might not be as polished a passer as TD, chance can still sling it, and is also a special athlete. He is a complete game breaker with his legs. I’d venture to say that he’s more “gifted” athletically than Dungey. It’s going to be an intense battle. It is, by no means, TDs job.

Everything is, of course, speculation but we have nothing else to do for 4 weeks.
IMO Devito is another Nassib, except with more arm talent.
He really only played in 4 games - against WMU, NC State and Notre Dame. Pretty stiff competition as a freshman backup.

He was uneven against FSU with some drops and a big gainer called back. You could clearly see the potential.

He flat out saved the day and beat NCS in a gutsy never flinching performance. He overcame what could have been a catastrophic Int.

ND was better than any of us thought. (I think they beat Clemson.) He made some bad throws (the one the safety grabbed should have been thrown to the boundary side) but there was no separation and our receivers dropped and got stripped. Nothing a QB could do on most of those.

These extra bowl practices are huge - like an extra Spring practice. With TD it us a matter of experience not talent.

I am sure there will be a "competition" but Tommy is the future.

If Chance is very good that gives up some insurance. So, we got that going for us, which is nice.

One of them isn’t here after next summer. Neither want to sit. Both want to Be the man. While he might not be as polished a passer as TD, chance can still sling it, and is also a special athlete. He is a complete game breaker with his legs. I’d venture to say that he’s more “gifted” athletically than Dungey. It’s going to be an intense battle. It is, by no means, TDs job.
This thought has crossed my mind previously, and makes a lot of sense. Especially if CA is named the starter and holds on to the position. If TD has the job, not as clear cut to me.

There’s a difference, Tommy was the guy from day 1. He was Dino’s guy. There were some points where chance wasn’t even the number 1 QB on our board. Obviously I’m not saying we didn’t want him, I’m just saying there’s a difference between the two.
So the staff let you in and see the recruiting board? Chance was always a priority.

TD is hardly ordained. Kid his a cannon for an arm. Chance is no slouch in this department either. If he has a grasp of the offense, he legit adds a exciting dimension with his feet.

Agree, even with tds reps this year, the qb situation should be open.

Oh stop it. Every team has multiple QB as you are only an injury away from having no QB. . And unless you are a member of the coaching staff and have been able to watch practices y'all don't really know who is the better

It sets up beautiful for both to start for two years each. No problem. Imagine if you will...

TD lights it up next year with CA getting several drives in half the games because we have substantial late game leads. 2020 HCDFB mixes in more CA situationally and intentionally to keep defenses off balance, but TD is a CFB top QB and goes pro after R-Jr. year.

Then CA is the man for 2 years before handing over to the next guy DIno will annoint.

This is a disease that goes on with some of y'all every year, every recruiting class. You always think that the next QB is going to be the savior of the program or better than the player already on the team. It's insanity.

I think you're wrong on this. I mean, after all, we have thought that about WR, RB, LB, and CB, too!;) And I am going to go out on a limb and say that with better recruiting classes coming in, this isn't going to stop anytime soon.
It will drive you and others like us crazy, but going forward, it is a kind of "nice" problem to have. It's like the issue mentioned in another thread where there was complaining about our ranking.
Raise a glass...
We have first world problems again!

Just curious how you know this?

Are we on to the next qb controversy so soon? Let’s see how spring ball plays out first

This is a disease that goes on with some of y'all every year, every recruiting class. You always think that the next QB is going to be the savior of the program or better than the player already on the team. It's insanity.

Think of how good we'll be if this is actually the csse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors