Chance Amie... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Chance Amie...

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the person after him was better!
The player after him was Hunt and he was snakebit by injury. All I'm saying is I prefer to have a full cupboard of talent to rely upon and not pin my hopes to just one QB.

Levis became the number 1 on the board because Amie visited for that same camp and didn't commit and then within a week committed to Houston.
That very well may be true, but that’s not how I interpreted that situation happening when it was told to me back in that moment. And either way nobody is saying we didn’t want Chance, my point was his recruitment and the recruitment of Tommy Devito were two seperate situations.

The Syracuse offense isn’t a simple one. Eric didn’t just take a couple of steps back into the pocket and free lance every play. In order to run it well, you have to fully understand all the RPOs, you need to make reads on coverages, you need to be able to check into the right play based on the call and coverage, etc.

Yes, you need to be able to throw the ball accurately (preferably with a lot of zip) and ideally, the QB should be capable of running with the ball, on plays where a run is called for and on plays where a scramble is required to keep a play alive.

This is why Eric, who had a couple years experience running the offense, had a huge advantage over Tommy, one that was almost impossible to overcome.

Chance Amie is a great athlete. He might be the best on the team. But I believe he just spent this season on the scout team, pretending to be Ian Book, Anthony Brown, etc. Even if he didn’t work on the scout team, he got almost no reps. Probably got a few reps when he enrolled early in January.

Reps are needed to learn the offense, to effortlessly run through the progressions, make the coverage reads, modulate the snap count (like Eric did masterfully yesterday), etc. Tommy is going to have an enormous advantage here that is going to be very tough to overcome. There is going to be a vast difference in style of play between these guys; maybe even more than with Eric and Tommy. Chance’s best bet for getting on the field in 2019 might be if Dino opts to give Chance some PT to force defenses to prepare for 2 different playing styles; much like he did late in the season this year.

Anyway, I don’t doubt that Amie has good skills but I have confidence Tommy is going to be the guy next season. Unless Tommy just can’t move the ball and score points, he is going to be our QB.

if you dont have two good Qb's on your roster you are probaly not a good program. Transfering after losing the job? Don't see that happening unless some other things occur.

if you dont have two good Qb's on your roster you are probaly not a good program. Transfering after losing the job? Don't see that happening unless some other things occur.
Yeah, but it happens. Kids want to play.

But you are assuming that Aime is? Has Aime taken a college snap? DeVito came in cold off the bench twice and won games. If you think Dungey would have made a difference against ND, your nuts. Yah, maybe 36-13.
I am not assuming anything, what about my post implied that.

I am not anointing TD before I see a lot more from him or there is a real competition between him and the next guy just like there was an open competition between him and Dungey.

I absolutely think Dungey makes a difference against any team including ND. If you don't think so, you are nuts!

Dino hand picked Tommy Devito. He’s a perfect fit for the offense Dino wants to run, it’s been said time and time again. Chance is going to have a role bc he’s such a gifted athlete but no way Tommy Devito isn’t our starter next year.
Which coach said he's a perfect fit for the offense Dino wants to run?

I don't recall who, going to rely on you for this one. Would like the quote please.

Was Matt Johnson a bigger runner at Bowling Green?

This is a disease that goes on with some of y'all every year, every recruiting class. You always think that the next QB is going to be the savior of the program or better than the player already on the team. It's insanity.

I’m certainly not doubting Devito at all. I can simply state that Amie has truly turned heads since he stepped foot on campus. I still think Devito is the starter next year, but Chance will get his opportunities with the 1’s in Spring and Summer camp. I think alot will come down to the OL next season. Devito is more of a true Babers guy if there’s a tight pocket. If it gets sloppy, then a Dungey is maybe more desirable than Devito. Chance fits Dungey’s role much more than the Devito, pocket passer role.

I’m glad we will have good competition at QB, but again, still firmly believe it’s Devito’s job to lose.

Yeah, but it happens. Kids want to play.
we all know it happens and we all know kids want to play lol. We can go on all night about the different scenarios and situations that may cause a kid to leave but why waist time doing that?

Which coach said he's a perfect fit for the offense Dino wants to run?

I don't recall who, going to rely on you for this one. Would like the quote please.
I’m not quoting a coach when I say those things, I’m using my knowledge of the game and my understanding of the offense we’re trying to run.

So like I thought this will all fall onto the offensive line not the QBs. If the offensive line can do their job and keep TD upright he will set passing records here. If the offensive line can't be fixed then I would guess Dino will look more towards QB's like Dungey and Amie would fit that bill. I think at the end of the day Dino would want a QB like Jimmy G, Matt Johnson and TD. But if a QB like Dungey or Amie is what is needed to win at Syracuse he isn't afraid to go that route.

Im not trying to insult anyone but some of the thoughts on here are funny. We were one of the highest scoring teams in the country with a average passer. Dino has added new elements to the scheme he learned from Briles and he continues to add. Im not sure why people assume he needs the most accurate passer. I think Dino really like the elements of a running QB. The last couple years he's had a chance to install and experiment new concepts. It gives him more options on how to attack defenses. Again, I really like Devito and expect him to be the starter but what makes people think Chance cant be a better thrower and the best athlete?

Based upon Babers gushing about Dungey and us bringing in Chance, I’d say he’s fine with either style QB.
I never said he wasn’t fine with either style.

Im not trying to insult anyone but some of the thoughts on here are funny. We were one of the highest scoring teams in the country with a average passer. Dino has added new elements to the scheme he learned from Briles and he continues to add. Im not sure why people assume he needs the most accurate passer. I think Dino really like the elements of a running QB. The last couple years he's had a chance to install and experiment new concepts. It gives him more options on how to attack defenses. Again, I really like Devito and expect him to be the starter but what makes people think Chance cant be a better thrower and the best athlete?
I don’t think anybody is saying Chance can’t be that. But Tommy Devito has elite arm talent already and throws the football effortlessly, he’s a true pass first QB and while he’s not the runner Dungey or Chance is, he’s definitely not immobile back there. And personally I’d rather have my QB be an elite passer/average runner than a average passer/elite runner. This debate essentially comes down to play style preference, pick your flavor.

I’m open to whatever Dino thinks is best. He pushed all the right buttons with Eric and Tommy. He’s earned a lot of trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom