Chance Westry Transferring to Syracuse | Page 43 | Syracusefan.com

Chance Westry Transferring to Syracuse

Thanks.
Yeah, not seeing the full speed stuff, or high-level athleticism is worrying me. And there's zero lift on the jumper. That and the sort of 'awkwardness' in the handle and shot prep are weird. Back when we were recruiting him, there was a video of some sort of all star game or exhibition where he looked like the most confident and skilled guy on the court. Here, he looks like a walkon. I hope i'm misreading it.

Good, though, to see that it doesn't look like there are restrictions on what he's doing, and no wraps or braces or anything, of course. But, those clips don't look like a guy who was 'neck and neck against Judah for most talented' on the team, or however that was characterized. I fully recognize this was just a small sample of clips, and probably don't represent a fuller truth.

I still have very high hopes and expectations for him. Those early highlights were just so impressive. I hope he can be that.
when you compare him the other guy he seems like he’s either not taking the reps as seriously or he is still really slowed down by the knee injury.

when you compare him the other guy he seems like he’s either not taking the reps as seriously or he is still really slowed down by the knee injury.

Some people move differently than others

For those worried about the speed in his other workouts

For those worried about the speed in his other workouts
I'm worried if he can play in general. Just picking the speed of the game up is going to be tough, let alone for a guy who last played regularly against high school players. Im not saying Westry and Cuffe are on the same level but there are some comparisons with time missed and the levels they played on.

I'm worried if he can play in general. Just picking the speed of the game up is going to be tough, let alone for a guy who last played regularly against high school players. Im not saying Westry and Cuffe are on the same level but there are some comparisons with time missed and the levels they played on.
He played at Auburn in games and plenty of practice games at SU, AU. Not worried

Chance better not have transfer portaled to University of Syracuse...
I'm actually getting a little less worried about Westry.

I saw the video of him going up to dunk recently and thought "wow, he really barely made it!"

But Westry's game has always been a bit of an "old players game." Excellent court vision, strength, playing the angles, bodying and harassing defense.

Most of his high school highlights are not like Cuffe's. Westry wasn't dunking on guys in traffic from startling distances. Westry was getting to the basket with deception and change of pace and finger rolling, reversing under the rim or floating it in there. He was a top level athlete, but certainly not elite for a division 1 basketball player.

My guess is he'll still be able to make the right pass, get a body on his guy on defense and be in the right place at the right time, even if he isn't quite as explosive as he used to be. His hands are going to be just as quick and disruptive.

Holy skinniness even after almost 3 years in a college basketball program. I guess some people can’t gain much weight l.
Genetics. I could personally care less about the weight of our guards - more about speed, quickness, shiftiness and bounce. Now if we talking big men?? I’ve seen my fair share of bean poles here lately and I’m so against bean pole projects. I shiver anytime I see cuse linked to a 6’10 + guy who is under let’s say 210 lbs. absolute shivers go down my spine and I take a deep breath just hoping we do not go in that direction.

I'm actually getting a little less worried about Westry.

I saw the video of him going up to dunk recently and thought "wow, he really barely made it!"

But Westry's game has always been a bit of an "old players game." Excellent court vision, strength, playing the angles, bodying and harassing defense.

Most of his high school highlights are not like Cuffe's. Westry wasn't dunking on guys in traffic from startling distances. Westry was getting to the basket with deception and change of pace and finger rolling, reversing under the rim or floating it in there. He was a top level athlete, but certainly not elite for a division 1 basketball player.

My guess is he'll still be able to make the right pass, get a body on his guy on defense and be in the right place at the right time, even if he isn't quite as explosive as he used to be. His hands are going to be just as quick and disruptive.

Westry is lean but kid is not lacking strength. He’s a physical guard and don’t see any issues with his ability in that dept. I could see him playing a tad bit leaner than before just to help reduce wear and tear on the legs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom