Charlie Strong Fired ?? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Charlie Strong Fired ??

I'll leave this here

Lack of students and community support is a HUGE issue and problem

Dino underestimated how bad it truly is ... And it definitely bothers him
Community support and a schools commitment to winning. Two grossly underestimated factors that matter to coaches. If fans don't believe me, wait until he walks next month and we end up with Randy Edsall, our 5th HC in 13 seasons. We get what we deserve.

4 wins was thought unreasonable at the start of the season. Reality check time.
I didn't think so. Everyone thought we'd beat Colgate. BC and Connecticut were expected wins. Many thought we'd beat at least WF.

Last edited:
I'll leave this here

How could he possibly have underestimated anything?

Attendance is now pretty much where it is was last year- as is our record.

I find it hard to believe that Babers is so naive to have anticipated anything other than what he has experienced.

He knows that the Dome will fill when he wins. And he knows it will take time.

He has a Power 5 gig at a great school with a long term contract.

Coaches who leave after one or two years have little character. I do not believe that Dino is that kind of guy.

I have no idea who you are or what sources you have, but I don't believe your post.

Last edited:
How could he possibly have underestimated anything?

Attendance is now pretty much where it is was last year- as is our record.

I find it hard that Babers is so naive to have anticipated anything other than what he has experienced.

He knows that the Dome will fill when he wins. And he knows it will take time.

He has a Power 5 gig at a great school with a long term contract.

Coaches who leave after one or two years have little character. I do not believe that Dino is that kind of guy.

I have no idea who you are or what sources you have, but I don't believe your post.

The one thing I'll say though. I bet he looked at attendance last year, looked at no bump for him this year, asked how we price it, and was one of the people that helped drive that change.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was one of the things he said he needed. Well, he got it. It has to be the cheapest overall ticket in Power 5 football, and is probably cheaper than a lot of Group of 5 programs.

I'm a big Babers fan, but will be surprised if he left after this year. Truly, other than the VT game, when have we looked good?
Never.

And acting like there hasn't been in game errors is naive.

I didn't think so. Everyone thought we'd beat Colgate. BC and Connecticut were expected wins. Many thought we'd be at least WF.

Phil Steele had us at four wins.

The season has gone pretty much as expected in terms of the won-loss record

Like I said, someone better be on the horn with Phil Montgomery to fill our own head coaching vacancy real soon if the university doesn't fulfill it's promises.

Like I said, someone better be on the horn with Phil Montgomery to fill our own head coaching vacancy real soon if the university doesn't fulfill it's promises.
This is crazy if true.

If Dino can't be satisfied with the support he has already been given, I don't know what to say. Seriously, I don't know what to say.

What is Syracuse supposed to do? The school is improving support year in and year out. Changes have been made and continue to be made.

I guess we just say "see ya?" And then I get my opportunity to rant on how I was calling on Syracuse to keep Shafer for one more year

I'll leave this here

It bothers me more because I've been a fan for 45 years. If Babers want the fans to show up then win games! I have way more invested in SU then HCDB so to hear this just makes me sick.

Put me on the side that Dino is back next year. I think he appreciates the history, appreciates the chance, and just needs a couple of years.

I didn't think so. Everyone thought we'd beat Colgate. BC and Connecticut were expected wins. Many thought we'd beat at least WF.

And who expected to beat VT? C'mon--look what the pundits were saying back in August--not the Kolo-Aid drinkers like us. And many were questioning wins against UConn and BC. Half empty or half full?

This is crazy if true.

If Dino can't be satisfied with the support he has already been given, I don't know what to say. Seriously, I don't know what to say.

What is Syracuse supposed to do? The school is improving support year in and year out. Changes have been made and continue to be made.

I guess we just say "see ya?" And then I get my opportunity to rant on how I was calling on Syracuse to keep Shafer for one more year

I wouldn't be satisfied either if I was promised something and the promiser didn't follow through, yet. Maybe it will come to fruition, let's see.

But, if you took a new job and said I need these tools A,B, and C in order to succeed, and were promised those tools. What would you think?

No one. My point was they could have won 4 without beating VT. Don't get me wrong, I think Babers is a quality coach, (i was stumping for him practically all of last year) like everything about him, am thrilled he is here, and think he'll do a good job here. I just don't think schools that could be considered above us at this point will want to hire a guy coming off a 4-8/5-7 season. I also think he likes it here more than people here give credit for.
And who expected to beat VT? C'mon--look what the pundits were saying back in August--not the Kolo-Aid drinkers like us. And many were questioning wins against UConn and BC. Half empty or half full?

The only way that I could see DFB leaving after this season is if:
  1. A top program offered him a bunch of change - not happening
  2. He has somehow convinced himself that he can't succeed at SU and has another option
#2 would be sad.

I believe that he gives it another 2-3 years (while collecting another $5-8M) before assessing things. If things go well he should be able to elevate SU to be a consistent top 3 (or 4) program in the division with an ACC Championship invitation every 3-5 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom