Class of 2018 - Chase Scanlan (NY: Silver Creek / IMG) Mid Transfer from Loyola to Syracuse | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 Chase Scanlan (NY: Silver Creek / IMG) Mid Transfer from Loyola to Syracuse

In regards to the 22, I think at this point it would just be best to give it to the best upperclassman on offense and call it a day. This is what the defense does with 11 and I think its a pretty cool tradition for them to do. Is it the end of the world if Rhefuss or Trimboli wear it for a year, then hand it down to Curry or Dordevic next year? It would give the guys something to strive for, and for the wearer of the jersey to feel like they've earned it. At this point, if no one wears it next year, that will be three straight years in a row - meaning the pressure on whoever wears it next is just compounded that much more. I thought it would work as a recruiting tool, but clearly I was wrong.

Don't know what the correct answer was/is for 22. I thought holding it off was the correct way but it doesn't appear to hold much sway with current players based on the lack of response from Gray and Scanlan when it was "allegedly" offered. Reading JHU fans over at fan lax basically laughing about the lack of interest in the 22 jersey was sobering to say the least. At this point I would either save it for a high end recruit who actually respects it and comes here or for a deserving Sr. I still think it has leverage as a recruiting tool but not nearly as much from a transfer perspective.

Like other things in life, if you don't use it, you lose it.

22 is a great tradition but the longer it sits on a shelf the less impactful it will be in recruiting. Staff should've continued the upper class/returning player process it had as outlined above (Hardy, Cody, etc.)

With respect to Scanlan and Gray, they should've never been offered the number. They're great talents but if you're not using it on the jewel of your incoming recruiting class then give it to a returning leader.

Don't know what the correct answer was/is for 22. I thought holding it off was the correct way but it doesn't appear to hold much sway with current players based on the lack of response from Gray and Scanlan when it was "allegedly" offered. Reading JHU fans over at fan lax basically laughing about the lack of interest in the 22 jersey was sobering to say the least. At this point I would either save it for a high end recruit who actually respects it and comes here or for a deserving Sr. I still think it has leverage as a recruiting tool but not nearly as much from a transfer perspective.

Ahh screw those Hop fans dude. Like I said Petro and Co. are doing just as much begging and pleading for Gray and Scanlan as we are. They just don't have something like 22 to offer that can be thrown into 1 sentence in an article. If they had the equivalent of it they would be mentioning it to every big transfer as well. Hopkins middies are pathetic compared to ours and I'm sure honest fans wouldn't even deny this. They looked far worse than us last season. Their MD star couldn't get a step on our West Genny product. Could care less what they have to say since they did nothing to back it up last season.

I think 22 could still be used as a recruiting tool for someone who is truly on the fence about whether or not to come here. These past two guys have basically just not had us on their list in the first place so it makes sense that it is not leading to results. Overall though I totally agree that it should go to one of the guys currently on the team having the most impact. That is actually how we did it before Jordan Evans! A 22 would graduate and then some Junior or Senior would get it. Dan Hardy, Jamison, Jojo Marasco all got it well after their freshman year.

Hardy wore 22 for all four years -

2006 Men's Lacrosse Roster - Syracuse University Athletics

22 is a great tradition but the longer it sits on a shelf the less impactful it will be in recruiting. Staff should've continued the upper class/returning player process it had as outlined above (Hardy, Cody, etc.)

With respect to Scanlan and Gray, they should've never been offered the number. They're great talents but if you're not using it on the jewel of your incoming recruiting class then give it to a returning leader.
tenor.gif

In this day and age, the transfer portal is a secondary form of recruiting. Lets not forget that we had some excellent transfers come in; Ben Williams, Nick Mariano, Nicky Galasso, Stephen Rehfuss, Dylan Donahue, etc.

Chase Scanlan would be the jewel of our recruiting class coming in this season. He is a proven commodity in NCAA lacrosse.

22 should never ever go to a player that hasn’t worn Orange. The greatest mistake was giving it to Jordan when it should have gone to Rice. Here’s what I believe you don’t give it to any player that hasn’t made an all American first or second team wearing orange. The only reason In my mind for a freshman to wear it is if he wears another’s number in the fall and he shows out in practice.

22 should never ever go to a player that hasn’t worn Orange. The greatest mistake was giving it to Jordan when it should have gone to Rice. Here’s what I believe you don’t give it to any player that hasn’t made an all American first or second team wearing orange. The only reason In my mind for a freshman to wear it is if he wears another’s number in the fall and he shows out in practice.

If you don't feel comfortable giving 22 to the #1 rated recruit in the country, it should never be handed out ever again.

If you don't feel comfortable giving 22 to the #1 rated recruit in the country, it should never be handed out ever again.

Yup, no issue giving it to Evans. He simply just didn't work out as an "elite" level player. It happens.

You can’t give it to someone who hasn’t played a single game in college if you want it to mean something. Jordan Evans is the reason it’s on the shelf now. He devalued the #. Giving it to any recruit regardless of ranking is a mistake
I agree. IMO, 22 should be reserved for someone who’s proved they can perform and excel at D1 lacrosse at an elite level and earned it. So that would most likely be an upperclassmen that played at an All-American level or even a sophomore who had a breakout freshman season (like Scanlan). I think a big reason Desko & staff dusted off 22 and offered it to Gray and are offering it to Scanlan is, like Stealth4785 mentioned above, that they are both proven commodities in D1 lacrosse with their All-American seasons.

Using it as a recruiting tool to a Top 10 recruit who’s never played a minute of college lacrosse sort of cheapens it. Desko himself said he doesn’t use it to entice recruits. I don’t think most current high school laxers know the prestige that come with that number. They weren’t even born yet when Gary, Lockwood, Casey, and Ryan were wearing it and were infants/toddlers when Mikey was donning the 22.

I agree. IMO, 22 should be reserved for someone who’s proved they can perform and excel at D1 lacrosse at an elite level and earned it. So that would most likely be an upperclassmen that played at an All-American level or even a sophomore who had a breakout freshman season (like Scanlan). I think a big reason Desko & staff dusted off 22 and offered it to Gray and are offering it to Scanlan is, like Stealth4785 mentioned above, that they are both proven commodities in D1 lacrosse with their All-American seasons.

Using it as a recruiting tool to a Top 10 recruit who’s never played a minute of college lacrosse sort of cheapens it. Desko himself said he doesn’t use it to entice recruits. I don’t think most current high school laxers know the prestige that come with that number. They weren’t even born yet when Gary, Lockwood, Casey, and Ryan were wearing it and were infants/toddlers when Mikey was donning the 22.

Yet Lockwood, Casey and Mikey were all unproven commodities fresh out of HS when they were given 22.

Yet Lockwood, Casey and Mikey were all unproven commodities fresh out of HS when they were given 22.

I would agree with you on Charlie Lockwood and Casey Powell. After that, I respectfully disagree to a certain extent. Ryan and Mikey may have been unproven, but the family pedigree could not be denied.

22 needs to be earned on the field in college for it to mean something. Nothing done in high school to me makes a kid deserving of that number. Plus what happens when you give it to your highest recruit and your second or third highest turn out to be better players. 22 needs to be earned by earning an all American honor the prior season in a Cuse uni. No transfers. No freshman. If we really want it to mean something you can’t go giving it away left and right to unproven commodities and transfers.

Just read on FanLax, per Ty Xanders Chase Scanlan is down to UVA, Maryland and Hopkins. Has anyone heard this is true? If so, very disappointing.

From FanLax:
Xanders spoke to Scanlan directly.

It's down to UVA, Maryland, and Hopkins, with UVA the favorite.

Just read on FanLax, per Ty Xanders Chase Scanlan is down to UVA, Maryland and Hopkins. Has anyone heard this is true? If so, very disappointing.

From FanLax:
Xanders spoke to Scanlan directly.

It's down to UVA, Maryland, and Hopkins, with UVA the favorite.

Xanders talked to Scanlan on Monday: "Scanlan says that he’s focusing on four or five schools: Virginia, Maryland, Johns Hopkins and Cornell, although Syracuse is also in the picture".

Of course, "HopFan16" would fail to mention the whole quote and leave SU out.

He's probably not coming here, but I wouldn't take anything HopFan16 posts as gospel.

Xanders talked to Scanlan on Monday: "Scanlan says that he’s focusing on four or five schools: Virginia, Maryland, Johns Hopkins and Cornell, although Syracuse is also in the picture".

Of course, "HopFan16" would fail to mention the whole quote and leave SU out.

He's probably not coming here, but I wouldn't take anything HopFan16 posts as gospel.

Thanks for the update...sounds like we still have a chance but very slim. Very disappointing.

Typical Hopkins fan.

Todays Update:

Just caught up with Chase Scanlan, who is in Baltimore today. He said he's down to Hopkins, Virginia, Cornell and Syracuse with plans to commit by Sunday. An update from earlier in the week, having eliminated Penn St. & Maryland since then:

Just posted by Xanders

Just caught up with Chase Scanlan, who is in Baltimore today. He said he's down to Hopkins, Virginia, Cornell and Syracuse with plans to commit by Sunday. An update from earlier in the week, having eliminated Penn St. & Maryland since then: