Chase Scanlan suspended indefinitely | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Chase Scanlan suspended indefinitely

Players have media interviews every Thursday, think they go through with those?

There are a lot of critics of the press conference, how it was handled etc .

Honestly. It was handed the right way . It’s classic PR crisis management / restrict , redirect and refer . You can’t provide specific answers to an issue of this nature where there are legal and potential criminal implications.

as far as the reinstatement /perhaps that was decided by lawyers at the time given the speculative nature of the issue - there are sensitives around Due process , basis for discrimination ..and then all of that may have Changed in 48hrs when new evidence came and things were corroborated.

The truth is none of us know exactly what is going on, what is being uncovered etc .,.but I can guarantee you Desko is not flying solo here / he / his moves are being guided by attorneys

There are a lot of critics of the press conference, how it was handled etc .

Honestly. It was handed the right way . It’s classic PR crisis management / restrict , redirect and refer . You can’t provide specific answers to an issue of this nature where there are legal and potential criminal implications.

as far as the reinstatement /perhaps that was decided by lawyers at the time given the speculative nature of the issue - there are sensitives around Due process , basis for discrimination ..and then all of that may have Changed in 48hrs when new evidence came and things were corroborated.

The truth is none of us know exactly what is going on, what is being uncovered etc .,.but I can guarantee you Desko is not flying solo here / he / his moves are being guided by attorneys
If it dont come out in the wash it will in the rinse

A couple of assumptions/ facts.

1: Chase is not the most popular teammate.
2: He has not been arrested.
3: He is innocent until proven guilty.
4: The woman as of today has not filed charges.

Someone call in and let them know what’s going on with the lacrosse program so they can ask Wildhack.

I doubt the offense is better for this but we’ll see real soon.

I suspect if (when) we go back to iso ball it’ll be just as bad as before.

What... A...Mess. Geez! How far can SU lax fall in just a few months?! From a preseason #2 ranking and getting the #1 recruit in ‘22 to now this. This cannot help our recruiting problems, and it could do damage to our reputation for years to come (although the stance that our players took is really impressive and hopefully will be a shining light through this ugliness). I think Desko was already done after we get blown out in the playoffs (someone has to be accountable for our horrible defense and underachieving for the last 8 years) but now he has to be gone, right? Either he royally screwed up or he’s the scapegoat. Either way, Desko is screwed. I think his time should be done anyways (the game has changed, but he hasn’t), but this will be a sad ending to a HOF career.

Last edited:

Here's the thing. Your two bolded items are often in conflict, and they were here. What the attorneys were advising from a legal perspective was in direct conflict with what they needed to do from a transparency and messaging perspective. The result was a muddled awkward mess which is pretty much what always happens when they try to play coy with this .

Recognizing the legal limitations here, if I was advising them, I would have suggested skipping the weekly presser and sending out a release. Yes, it would have looked bad, but this was far worse.

Someone call in and let them know what’s going on with the lacrosse program so they can ask Wildhack.

1619702401709.png

"Meeting with Captains did occur. We had a good conversation".

1619704352374.png

Last edited:
A couple of assumptions/ facts.

1: Chase is not the most popular teammate.
2: He has not been arrested.
3: He is innocent until proven guilty.
4: The woman as of today has not filed charges.

These are all correct. I'll add too - this past week is not the first time Chase has had an incident at Syracuse off the field

I think he is claiming the team itself would know a lot of detail, not the public.
Your guess as to his guess as to what “the team” “might” or “would” know kind of makes my point that the feeding frenzy here ought to slow down. I for one find it a reason for caution in that SU, which did not hesitate to suspend an entire frat for alleged actions by a non-member directed against a non-student, is being very circumspect in this case.

Page not found when you click on the link, but I am curious, do you think the reinstating of Scanlan is somehow connected to title 9 procedure?
Just my guess, but yes

Your guess as to his guess as to what “the team” “might” or “would” know kind of makes my point that the feeding frenzy here ought to slow down. I for one find it a reason for caution in that SU, which did not hesitate to suspend an entire frat for alleged actions by a non-member directed against a non-student, is being very circumspect in this case.

And it's fine for SU to take things somewhat slow, but the team deciding that they want nothing to do with him makes SU and Desko look terrible.

There is a LOT more potential for lawsuits stemming from damage to personal reputation when its just one person as opposed to an institutional situatuion.

I will continue to reject the notion that we have to "wait and see" before inferring some likelihoods here when it is clear that the University is unwilling or unable to provide more info. Inferences which don't mean he goes to jail or get punished. These inferences are merely the logical end result of human thought processes.

Yes...it's he said - she said except for the fact that this team of upstanding young men was so convinced that this guy did something dreadfully wrong that they revolted against him, and against school admin. I don't think I have EVER seen a team unite like that against one of their own, especially so soon after an incident. I refuse to believe it is simply the result of "baseless speculation". That makes no sense. These guys typically give teammates SO much more rope than the public ever does.

Due process exists in the eyes of the law. I get that. We are not judges, juries, or executioners. We are regular folks who have eyes and ears and based on what we are told and what we are not told, we put things together.

I truly hope this is all wrong. I am not going to rip him apart on social media based on my own inferences. But I'm also not going to be told I cant form the opinion I have formed based on the information being made available.

Last edited:
And it's fine for SU to take things somewhat slow, but the team deciding that they want nothing to do with him makes SU and Desko look terrible.

Except that people keep throwing around the word 'team' but we don't know the scope of that either. Teams usually have sub groups - some people call them camps. But it's not camps, it's just kids who are close friends and pal around together. It's hard for me to believe an entire roster is against Chase. If he literally has no friends why would he stick around.

Except that people keep throwing around the word 'team' but we don't know the scope of that either. Teams usually have sub groups - some people call them camps. But it's not camps, it's just kids who are close friends and pal around together. It's hard for me to believe an entire roster is against Chase. If he literally has no friends why would he stick around.

If all of the Captains are against him, that likely has a lot of pull w the rest of the team. Is it possible he has a good friend here or there, sure. But they arent going to challenge the Captains, who they also very well may be friends with.

There is a LOT more potential for lawsuits stemming from damage to personal reputation when its just one person as opposed to an institutional situatuion.

I will continue to reject the notion that we have to "wait and see" before inferring some likelihoods here when it is clear that the University is unwilling or unable to provide more info. Inferences which don't mean he goes to jail or get punished. These inferences are merely the logical end result of human thought processes.

Yes...it's he said - she said except for the fact that this team of upstanding young men was so convinced that this guy did something dreadfully wrong that they revolted against him, and against school admin. I don't think I have EVER seen a team unite like that against one of their own, especially so soon after an incident. I refuse to believe it is simply the result of "baseless speculation". That makes no sense. These guys typically give teammates SO much more rope than the public ever does.

Due process exists in the eyes of the law. I get that. We are not judges, juries, or executioners. We are regular folks who have eyes and ears and based on what we are told and what we are not told, we put things together.

I truly hope this is all wrong. I am not going to rip him apart on social media based on my own inferences. But I'm also not going to be told I cant form the opinion I have formed based on the information being made available.
of course everyone can form an opinion. there are parallels to other cases... @ syracuse, other campus cases, even in lacrosse... where a person(s) "in the know" made a call much more serious against individuals past suspension/reinstatement from a lacrosse team. and turned out to be wrong.

- a couple of layers @ this date - this isn't scanlan's 1st run in with teammates.
- someone (presumably) in authority has actually answered a domestic call 10 days ago. that sounds at a minimum unusual that nothing has proceeded then or until now beyond still checking into.

what makes this a more urgent to know, speculate on what's out there situation for some is the timing. in season, end of season, practices, games.

Never thought id say this on here but this is a fairly rational post.

- someone (presumably) in authority has actually answered a domestic call 10 days ago. that sounds at a minimum unusual that nothing has proceeded then or until now beyond still checking into.
I don’t work in New York, but I am a prosecutor. This is not unusual in the least, especially in a domestic violence case. Victims of domestic violence, unfortunately, routinely refuse to cooperate with authorities after the fact, even if they’re the one who called 911 in the first place. Happens allllllllll the time.

That could be what happened here. Or Scanlan could, you know, be innocent. Or the truth of what happened could lie somewhere in between. It could also be that Scanlan is a huge a-s-s-h-o-l-e and his teammates heard what might have happened and they were all just like, Yup, Chase is a dick. We could see him doing X, Y, Z.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom