Chase Scanlan suspended indefinitely | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

Chase Scanlan suspended indefinitely

The Captains may be passing judgement before the investigations are complete. S U may have to reinstate him and let the boycott chips land where they may.
I think he is re-instated; that doesn't mean Desko has to let him see the field and/or travel.

Do you know how many witnesses there were?
I don't really understand why people want to speculate about a situation that is obviously confidential and is in the process of being investigated. There are serious implications for both parties and everyone should respect that by waiting for the investigation to be completed. I would have thought that intelligent people know that the court of public opinion is uninformed and potentially harmful.

I don't really understand why people want to speculate about a situation that is obviously confidential and is in the process of being investigated. There are serious implications for both parties and everyone should respect that by waiting for the investigation to be completed. I would have thought that intelligent people know that the court of public opinion is uninformed and potentially harmful.

I mean, the nature of internet boards is centered around speculation.

But I understand what you're saying. I'm hesitant to pass judgement without knowing all the facts. But people are invested emotionally (and some even financially) in sports and in this University.

Everyone just wants to make sense of it, and the outcome of that exercise isn't always ideal.

I mean, the nature of internet boards is centered around speculation.

But I understand what you're saying. I'm hesitant to pass judgement without knowing all the facts. But people are invested emotionally (and some even financially) in sports and in this University.

Everyone just wants to make sense of it, and the outcome of that exercise isn't always ideal.
Agreed. I think you make an excellent point. People are frustrated and want this situation dealt with so that the team can focus on playing better.

The Captains may be passing judgement before the investigations are complete. S U may have to reinstate him and let the boycott chips land where they may.

No way the Captains put out public statements regarding domestic abuse without knowing what happened. Also SU has no obligation to reinstate him. Again, when this all happened, the negative press could have been avoided by just giving Scanlan the boot. He would have kept his scholarship until the end of the spring semester and can transfer somewhere else. It is obvious his teammates do not want him back.

Anyone know if the press conference will be posted somewhere online?

It amazes me that a university renowned for PR training cant figure out a way to communicate within the boundaries and framework of the law yet show empathy at the same time.
I'm with you on the empathy side, but, curious what you think should be said at this point outside of that? The players have all publicly made statements supporting the One Love Foundation and in more causal ways alluded to their support of Coach Desko and his leadership. Outside of that, the school cannot say anything specific, so what does a general statement do? It might in fact adversely affect those that are rumored to be involved, which in fact violates their rights. How can you say something and not inherently make an implication? That's the burden they face at this juncture.

Last edited:
My thoughts on the Chase Scanlan situation.

Assuming all the stories and innuendos are true, maybe instead of turning their back and abandoning Chase, they might want to consider getting him some help. I'm not saying he should be back on the field - the hard truth is that for all intents and purposes his playing days are over. So what do we do - kick him to the curb and bemoan the waste of talent?

Everyone wants to praise the players for posting statements on their social media about about domestic violence - not to belittle the gesture, but literally that is the least they could do. Einstein said that adversity introduces a man to himself. Chase has led a privileged life these past 10 years - coddled by a system because he is an extraordinary talent. He is about to meet himself. Rarely do we see some at the crossroads of their life - we just don't see it in the moment.

And I am not - in any way, shape or form - condoning what he is said to have done. It is abhorrent and there is a price to be paid. He is only at the beginning of paying that price. He will be shunned by the PLL and forever be marked as that guy caught putting his hands on a woman (and I say caught because statistically speaking he is most certainly not the only D1 lacrosse player to have done so).

So do we just abandon and shun him? Mark him with a Scarlet Letter and move on to the next guy who can dodge from X?

Or as his teammates...those we think of as our college family...do they owe him more?

Maybe John Desko was right...

My thoughts on the Chase Scanlan situation.

Assuming all the stories and innuendos are true, maybe instead of turning their back and abandoning Chase, they might want to consider getting him some help. I'm not saying he should be back on the field - the hard truth is that for all intents and purposes his playing days are over. So what do we do - kick him to the curb and bemoan the waste of talent?

Everyone wants to praise the players for posting statements on their social media about about domestic violence - not to belittle the gesture, but literally that is the least they could do. Einstein said that adversity introduces a man to himself. Chase has led a privileged life these past 10 years - coddled by a system because he is an extraordinary talent. He is about to meet himself. Rarely do we see some at the crossroads of their life - we just don't see it in the moment.

And I am not - in any way, shape or form - condoning what he is said to have done. It is abhorrent and there is a price to be paid. He is only at the beginning of paying that price. He will be shunned by the PLL and forever be marked as that guy caught putting his hands on a woman (and I say caught because statistically speaking he is most certainly not the only D1 lacrosse player to have done so).

So do we just abandon and shun him? Mark him with a Scarlet Letter and move on to the next guy who can dodge from X?

Or as his teammates...those we think of as our college family...do they owe him more?

Maybe John Desko was right...
That's a nice sentiment and probably worth a discussion in a broader sense, but I don't know if it is applicable to this case, or not. We don't know the history of events from the day Chase arrived at SU. There are rumors that he hasn't been a very good teammate, irrespective of this latest alleged incident. One such rumor is that he punched a captain in the face when he tried to intervene in an altercation Chase was having at a bar.
It's quite possible that he has been offered help in the past by his teammates. As outsiders, we don't know, hence why I was careful to use the words "rumor" and "alleged".
There are often many sides to a single story, therefore, I think it's best that we don't carelessly assume people turned their backs on a teammate in need of help, when we don't know if that help hasn't been offered or if it has and was ignored/refused.

Last edited:
That's a nice sentiment and probably worth a discussion in a broader sense, but I don't know if it is applicable to this case, or not. We don't know the history of events from the day Chase arrived at SU. There are rumors that he hasn't been a very good teammate, irrespective of this latest alleged incident. One such rumor is that he punched a captain in the face when he tried to intervene in an altercation Chase was having at a bar.
It's quite possible that he has been offered help in the past by his teammates. As outsiders, we don't know, hence why I was careful to use the words "rumor" and "alleged".
There are often many sides to a single story, therefore, I think it's best that we don't carelessly assume people turned their backs on a teammate in need of help, when we don't know if that help hasn't been offered or if it has and was ignored/refused.
These are the posts that we needed. Not the trash about how Desko is handling it, or how the press conference went. This situation directly affects some people and that doesn't include us on this forum, fanlax or the idiots at Inside Lacrosse.

I'm with you on the empathy side, but, curious what you think should be said at this point outside of that? The players have all publicly made statements supporting the One Love Foundation and in more causal ways alluded to their support of Coach Desko and his leadership. Outside of that, the school cannot say anything specific, so what does a general statement do? It might in fact adversely affect those that are rumored to be involved, which in fact violates their rights. How can you say something and not inherently make an implication? That's the burden they face at this juncture.

I do corporate communications. If my client had no choice but to speak publicly and knew these questions would come up, here's what I would do.

First off, no hollow opening statement. Just talk about the the game. First question about the situation that is asked, I answer something like this.

"You know, thank you for asking that question. I understand why you asked, and I understand why people want more information based on things they may have heard. I wish I could say more. I hate sitting up here and having to play fast and loose and avoid answering perfectly valid questions. At the end of the day, I am legally bound from saying more. I just can't do it. As much as I want to provide more information to our passionate fans and to the community, i just can't, and I really am sorry about that. And I know you are going to ask more questions, and that's fine. I know you have jobs to do. And I promise I wont get frustrated with them, but you need to promise not to get frustrated either when I just continue to refuse them at this time. i hope someday sooner than later to be able to comment further."

This is what I would say. This allows the coach to leave a press conference looking like a human with feelings who is being forced by the law to say nothing, but who has enough of a brain to understand and appreciate why the questions are being asked. Its an absolutely nothing statement that doesnt reek of tone deafness.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom