Chase Scanlan suspended indefinitely | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

Chase Scanlan suspended indefinitely

This part is interesting in what constitutes the 4th degree: “With intent to prevent a person from communicating a request for emergency assistance, intentionally disables or removes telephonic, TTY or similar communication sending equipment while that person: (a) is attempting to seek or is engaged in the process of seeking emergency assistance from police, law enforcement, fire or emergency medical services personne”

It amazes me that a university renowned for PR training cant figure out a way to communicate within the boundaries and framework of the law yet show empathy at the same time.
the sad thing is they have a grad and board of trustees member that is world class in that area.

The DA appears to acknowledge there was a physical altercation but says they couldn't charge on that basis because the girl wasn't "legally injured." Interesting phrasing. Scanlan may have escaped more serious charges but his lacrosse playing days are over.
The way Assault is worded in the NYS penal code, there has to be an injury to be considered assault, I guess?

"Criminal mischief in the fourth degree" is only a misdemeanor. Basically means property damage.

I would not count out more serious charges being added. It is unclear if the investigation is still ongoing.
He wasn’t charged with assault or menacing which you would expect in a domestic violence situation

so no jail for now?
For a misdemeanor? Why would you expect that?

its an appearance ticket, if it’s nothing more than what he is charged with, he’ll get an acd that includes some counseling requirements.

if the girl involved had felt threatened there would be other charges

based on the charge it looks like a heated argument that led to Scanlon damaging the wall in anger.

Brian & Kyle time...

Investigation is ongoing per DA Fitzpatrick.

More charges to come?

1620417438878.png

For a misdemeanor? Why would you expect that?

its an appearance ticket, if it’s nothing more than what he is charged with, he’ll get an acd that includes some counseling requirements.

if the girl involved had felt threatened there would be other charges

based on the charge it looks like a heated argument that led to Scanlon damaging the wall in anger.

Shut up

In my experience, when there is a Title IX investigation involving student-athletes, typically those student-athletes are suspended until the findings of the Title IX investigation are determined.

It would be a real shame if the Title IX office was the one telling athletics to reinstate Scanlan while this was all going on. Nothing like the University making the Athletic Department take the egg on the face. Overall, a shitty situation that our University mishandled from the get go.

Help me out here...I get there is Title IX stuff but there is still a piece missing about why Scanlan was brought back to practice while this investigation was (and still is, apparently) ongoing. Reports were that even though he was practicing by himself (only because the team refused to play with him), he was still getting instruction from a staff member. Why? Why is he still putting on the Syracuse colors and emblem and participating in team activities (again, only by himself because the players made their own decision) while he's being investigated for physically harming someone? Title IX DEMANDS that he be fully reinstated in the interim and the coach is powerless to make his own judgment call? I find that hard to believe. Coaches have leeway to do pretty much whatever the want and attribute that to violating team rules or expectations, or something like that. I know of a player for a Big Ten team who was kicked off the team for missing a Zoom meeting in the fall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom