Chris Ash thread... | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

Chris Ash thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can say this: Ash is very ambitious and took the DC job at Ohio State largely to better position himself to land a HC job. He absolutely should have been thinking about how he would handle the offensive side of the ball over the past couple of years if he landed a HC job.

This is a pretty good article on him (and the problems OSU has had retaining coordinators).

Y'all do realize that until he signs a contract here he is still employed by TOSU.

Well if he is getting announced today as the Head Coach of Syracuse why would TOSU want him out recruiting for them?

Well if he is getting announced today as the Head Coach of Syracuse why would TOSU want him out recruiting for them?
Maybe because we are just guessing that something gets announced today?

Don't they say DEFENSE wins championships? Look st the Patriots. Tom Brady had to rely on a no name guy on D to win the SB against Seattle, on the last play of the game. Stop with the "we need an offensive coach". If it's Ash, he does have a resume of coaching at some of the top football programs. He'll just need to bring in a good OC and good recruiters with him. That's it. It just might work. Everyone needs to step away from the ledge...

My goodness...... God no.

Let's just go full fantasy here: if he somehow brought Beau Baldwin in as his OC, I'm assuming you'd be on board with Ash.
if it's forced on him, I expect that to be a disaster too. it'll end badly and we'll have another example for the giants fans to hold up and say see this gimmick stuff doesn't work.

if Ash wants to do it, that's different.

Maybe because we are just guessing that something gets announced today?

Right that is what I was getting out if there is an announcement that Ash is our new head coach today then he wouldn't be out recruiting for Ohio State. So if we are announcing that we have hired a head coach more than likely wouldnt be Ash IMO

Right that is what I was getting out if there is an announcement that Ash is our new head coach today then he wouldn't be out recruiting for Ohio State. So if we are announcing that we have hired a head coach more than likely wouldnt be Ash IMO
Or its jb's appeal.

That's not necessarily true, though. You keep doing your job as long as it's your job. You can announce he's going to be the hire, and then the next day he flies to Syracuse and signs the contract and gets introduced at the Wisconsin game.

Recruiting for OSU today doesn't necessarily mean anything as far as this job is concerned.

jekelish said:
But why? He could bring in an Art Briles or Chip Kelly disciple as the offensive coordinator, couldn't he? Wait and see who he would hire to run the offense before we start saying that the offense will be horrible for 4-5 years.

I said the quickest way - go D first makes that tougher. I'll hold out hope that he can get someone good.

if it's forced on him, I expect that to be a disaster too. it'll end badly and we'll have another example for the giants fans to hold up and say see this gimmick stuff doesn't work.

if Ash wants to do it, that's different.
You're holding on to this Norwood thing WAY too long.

Let's just go full fantasy here: if he somehow brought Beau Baldwin in as his OC, I'm assuming you'd be on board with Ash.

You stole my idea from this morning. I think 3X the pay and the opportunity to unveil his offense on the P5 might be worth it to him?

That's not necessarily true, though. You keep doing your job as long as it's your job. You can announce he's going to be the hire, and then the next day he flies to Syracuse and signs the contract and gets introduced at the Wisconsin game.

Recruiting for OSU today doesn't necessarily mean anything as far as this job is concerned.

Would Ohio State want him out recruiting kids for them if he is going to announce he is leaving 2 hours later? Go make bonds with kids then leave a couple hours latter seems strange. And I assume Ash would let Ohio State know before Syracuse would announce it.

My goodness... God no.
So if you owned the Pats, you would bypass Bill Belechick? Not logical. You of course need a good Offense, but the head coach does NOT need to come from that side of the ball.

This hiring would seem to just be a way to put the Frost situation in the back mirror quickly

Would Ohio State want him out recruiting kids for them if he is going to announce he is leaving 2 hours later? Go make bonds with kids then leave a couple hours latter seems strange. And I assume Ash would let Ohio State know before Syracuse would announce it.
Eleven Warriors (an Ohio state site) is reporting that he SHOULD be in NJ this week recruiting but there was no confirmation as of last night.

Guy has a very similar resume to Dantonio prior to being hired at Cincinnati. That hire worked out well for Cincy and Mich. St.

Ash may be the next Belichick.

Nobody knows nuttin'. :confused:

I've watched Bill Belichick coach for 15 years running... no one is the next Belichick.

Don't they say DEFENSE wins championships? Look st the Patriots. Tom Brady had to rely on a no name guy on D to win the SB against Seattle, on the last play of the game. Stop with the "we need an offensive coach". If it's Ash, he does have a resume of coaching at some of the top football programs. He'll just need to bring in a good OC and good recruiters with him. That's it. It just might work. Everyone needs to step away from the ledge...

Right, THAT'S what won the Super Bowl, not the QB who went 14-15 for 150 yards and 2 TDs in the 4th quarter.

In modern college football you need a D to be just good enough, and an O that can score with reckless abandon.

So if you owned the Pats, you would bypass Bill Belechick? Not logical. You of course need a good Offense, but the head coach does NOT need to come from that side of the ball.

It's really not worth comparing NFL and college. They are very different games these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.