Chris Bleich waiver denied | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Chris Bleich waiver denied

It read to me like counsel is the family responsibility.

It also read to me like Florida played hardball because naturally they're not going to admit to malpractice.
And by all reports, UF supported the decision to transfer with Mullen publicly stating he should be granted a waiver.

The charge of medical malfeasance, while appearing warranted, undoubtedly clouded the issue and likely was a major factor in the denial.

That being said, with absolutely zero transparency in the NCAA process or criteria, I am not sure any individual or organization could provide logical counsel.

You can argue lots of reasons why the waiver should be approved, hard to argue any why it shouldnt.. The fact that it didnt actually get resolved until well after the Covid issue and they clearly are allowing other waivers with far less issues go thru makes you scratch your head.

And I get not revealing everything, but there still should be a something more concrete thats revealed in denying these things. As simple as they applied due to medical reasons and we didnt find supporting documentation. He applied because he wanted to be closer to home and we cant support that claim. etc

On the other hand you have multiple players say i just wanted more playing time publicly and they are being granted and thats one of the things they says is not a good enough reason.

Given that the NCAA granted everyone an additional year of eligibility anyway, it makes no sense why they wouldn't make everyone immediately eligible that wasn't a super late transfer.

so if bleich plays this year, it wouldnt diminish his eligibility??

You can argue lots of reasons why the waiver should be approved, hard to argue any why it shouldnt.. The fact that it didnt actually get resolved until well after the Covid issue and they clearly are allowing other waivers with far less issues go thru makes you scratch your head.

And I get not revealing everything, but there still should be a something more concrete thats revealed in denying these things. As simple as they applied due to medical reasons and we didnt find supporting documentation. He applied because he wanted to be closer to home and we cant support that claim. etc

On the other hand you have multiple players say i just wanted more playing time publicly and they are being granted and thats one of the things they says is not a good enough reason.

Agree in the main.

What was new from this article [for me, at least] was Florida's involvement in the process, and how that might have tripped up the proceedings for Bleich. Which is why I agree with Phat above -- there was probably a better case to be made then throwing a party under the bus who can influence the outcome.

I qualify the above by pointing out that the article was only told from the family perspective, so maybe there's more to it. But I think that building a different case might have had a different outcome -- as clearly evidenced by the 90% success rate for waivers being granted this year].

And at the end of the day, the lopsided rate of approvals vs. this outcome -- and the way the NCAA bends over backwards for high profile skilled position players vs. others -- points out the inherent hypocrisy at work, and what a paper exercise the proceedings are. Wouldn't expect anything more from this sham of an enforcement body.

Last edited:
Correct. This is a free year for every D-1 player, whether thay play 0,1,4,or 12 games.

Is that true -- or is it only true for seniors?

So -- for example -- if a sophomore plays, would they then be a sophomore [in terms of eligibility] next season? Or is the proposed free pass just for seniors, who could potentially have their final year disrupted?

So -- for example -- if a sophomore plays, would they then be a sophomore [in terms of eligibility] next season? Or is the proposed free pass just for seniors, who could potentially have their final year disrupted?
its true for everyone. Dino even mentioned it when talking about his young linebackers.

First and foremost, I want Chris and his family to have some degree of standard career autonomy. They don['t due to this NCAA ruling. And that sucks.

That said, mindful of maximum efficiency and output, it is going to be better for SU Football that Chris begins his final three years of eligibility next Fall/2021.

First and foremost, I want Chris and his family to have some degree of standard career autonomy. They don['t due to this NCAA ruling. And that sucks.

That said, mindful of maximum efficiency and output, it is going to be better for SU Football that Chris begins his final three years of eligibility next Fall/2021.

I thought this year wouldn't count towards eligibility?

Key data points:

waiver requests that allege some type of misconduct by the original school require more intensive investigation.

Over 90% of waiver requests have been approved this year.

in retrospect, had the waiver request been based solely on the desire to be closer to home it is highly likely that it would have been approved.
In other words, with the NCAA it is better to lie or bend the truth with attorneys than actually be honest. Awesome lesson for the NCAA to be teaching student athletes.

It is better to ask for forgiveness after the fact than permission before.

The NCAA is ridiculously corrupt. You cannot provide a valid reason as to why Bleich's waiver was not approved while countless others were. It is an absolute shame. We're talking about a young man's life, not just some number.

Getting closer and closer to disruption of the NCAA and their monopolistic control over collegiate sports.

My understanding is that it is true for all fall student athletes. Basically was implemented to address the uncertainty over opt-outs where some S-A's were reluctant to start a season that might not be completed and lose a year. The waiver to allow a program to exceed the 85-scholarship limit is only in place for next year, however, protecting this year's high school seniors who are being recruited or have committed from losing a spot if their chosen school has multiple seniors returning.

so a school could have 25 SRs stay and play with 110 kids next yr in theory and then lose 50 kids the following yr if they had 25 Jrs

also if all the kids choose to use the xtr yr its gonna take awhile for schools to figure it out. you may have some smaller classes for awhile.

so a school could have 25 SRs stay and play with 110 kids next yr in theory and then lose 50 kids the following yr if they had 25 Jrs

also if all the kids choose to use the xtr yr its gonna take awhile for schools to figure it out. you may have some smaller classes for awhile.

Going to be very challenging, not only to balance the roster and recruiting board, but also to come up with the funding to cover the additional scholarships. The spring waiver was difficult enough and we saw some schools not offer it, even though no spring sports are head count sports from a scholarship limit perspective. Football, and fall in general will be exponentially more complex. I imagine we will se an incredibly robust transfer market, both grad and regular, over the summer.

Keep in mind some schools already told seniors playing last spring that they wouldn't be invited back. Lot of finances involved.

I would like to see him get a full year of recovery, my daughter had a hip tendon injury and she came back too soon and tore it again, the second surgery was successful thanks to Dr. Irving Raphael, and she was able to play a full senior year pain free; but the second surgery to her hip required a full 10 months recovery/rehab; Chris B tore both sides!

This seems like the best way to view this. Rather than him rushing to get back this season he can help us and himself much more by making sure he's fully healed for next season.

I know this is a 'free year' for eligibility but that has nothing to do with properly healing from what sounds like major surgery. and the points about adding years of eligibility are valid: these kids still have to be students in some course of education. There has to be money in the budget for those extra scholarships. And what do they do with limtis on scholarships and rosters? Do the new high school grads sit and wait for a year?

Key data points:

waiver requests that allege some type of misconduct by the original school require more intensive investigation.

Over 90% of waiver requests have been approved this year.

in retrospect, had the waiver request been based solely on the desire to be closer to home it is highly likely that it would have been approved.
Wow that's stupid. So leaving stuff out strengthens an argument.

It read to me like counsel is the family responsibility.

It also read to me like Florida played hardball because naturally they're not going to admit to malpractice.

They definitely should've been counseled better to not take the approach they did because the burden of 'proof' is higher. You need more supporting documentation that only the University can provide; which they won't. So seems to me he should have been advised to just argue being closer to home for his Dad's disabilities. Lawyers versed in this stuff should know better and how to manipulate the crappy system.
What doesn't make sense is that the injury argument doesn't negate the argument of his dad's disabilities. You only have to be a decent human to make the right decision here.

Yeah, there's a lot to figure out here, and from what I gather the NCAA hasn't provided guidance yet.

It makes zero sense for the NCAA to count the year as a free year for everybody and not let everybody play

Verbal algebra, (getting rid of the extraneous stuff to get to the basic math),

"The NCAA makes zero sense."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom