Chris Bleich waiver denied | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Chris Bleich waiver denied

Absolutely unreal.

I wish I could agree.

But sadly, this type of inconsistency is par for the course with the NCAA. Whatever ends up being in the worst interest of the student-athlete, you can rest assured they will do. Whenever there is a common-sense outcome that should occur, you can expect them to do the opposite.

Borrowing from AZ's post above, "buffoons" is putting it mildly.

there can't possibly be 'more to the story'. the kid transferred closer to home, end of story.
Well, there’s the whole Oliver Luck component.

(I have no idea if Oliver Luck was actually involved with this decisions. He’s just scummy and works for the NCAA.)

Maybe or maybe more to the story. Or maybe the NCAA is a bunch of buffoons.
Or "all of the above"? But this in a nutshell is why the NCAA $ uc ks majorly- they never have to explain themselves, or justify their logic or actions. They come down w/ some bogus ruling, and then slither away not having to be accountable to anyone. Emmert should have to ANSWER for some of these arbitrary rulings, or lack thereof, on a host of issues. Just stupid.

Or "all of the above"? But this in a nutshell is why the NCAA $ uc ks majorly- they never have to explain themselves, or justify their logic or actions. They come down w/ some bogus ruling, and then slither away not having to be accountable to anyone. Emmert should have to ANSWER for some of these arbitrary rulings, or lack thereof, on a host of issues. Just stupid.
All the more reason to ignore it and threaten to sue if they try to punish us.

Who knows, we might even get our wins back and damages of the lost basketball scholarships.

I bet the ncaa would fold like a deck of cards if litigation were instituted. Just threat of deposing all these losers. I don’t even think Chris should play this year. Rather get healthy. But i think he should press the issue out of principle.

Key data points:

waiver requests that allege some type of misconduct by the original school require more intensive investigation.

Over 90% of waiver requests have been approved this year.

in retrospect, had the waiver request been based solely on the desire to be closer to home it is highly likely that it would have been approved.

Key data points:

waiver requests that allege some type of misconduct by the original school require more intensive investigation.

in retrospect, had the waiver request been based solely on the desire to be closer to home it is highly likely that it would have been approved.

i still think you need an additional excuse. Wants to play closer to home because x.

i still think you need an additional excuse. Wants to play closer to home because x.
Could be, but the 90% approval rate suggests it doesn’t have to be all that compelling. Based on the article there are cases where an opportunity for more playing time is a successful rationale in some high profile cases.

Key data points:

I'd add... UF would be reluctant to admit to mismanagement of his injury. Thus, opening themselves up to future litigation. I'd guess, UF probably offered conflicting medical info to what Chris provided.

I would like to see him get a full year of recovery, my daughter had a hip tendon injury and she came back too soon and tore it again, the second surgery was successful thanks to Dr. Irving Raphael, and she was able to play a full senior year pain free; but the second surgery to her hip required a full 10 months recovery/rehab; Chris B tore both sides!

Key data points:

Which is indicative of some degree of incompetence on his legal team.

I would like to see him get a full year of recovery, my daughter had a hip tendon injury and she came back too soon and tore it again, the second surgery was successful thanks to Dr. Irving Raphael, and she was able to play a full senior year pain free; but the second surgery to her hip required a full 10 months recovery/rehab; Chris B tore both sides!
His presence alone won't fix the offense this year, I agree he should take the year, come back stronger and better

Which is indicative of some degree of incompetence on his legal team.
His biggest mistake was applying before COVID

Could be, but the 90% approval rate suggests it doesn’t have to be all that compelling. Based on the article there are cases where an opportunity for more playing time is a successful rationale in some high profile cases.

agree 100%, most ppl probably have some excuse to move closer to home that will work.

But you bring up a good point, why didnt syracuse provide better counsel?

agree 100%, most ppl probably have some excuse to move closer to home that will work.

But you bring up a good point, why didnt syracuse provide better counsel?

It read to me like counsel is the family responsibility.

It also read to me like Florida played hardball because naturally they're not going to admit to malpractice.

They definitely should've been counseled better to not take the approach they did because the burden of 'proof' is higher. You need more supporting documentation that only the University can provide; which they won't. So seems to me he should have been advised to just argue being closer to home for his Dad's disabilities. Lawyers versed in this stuff should know better and how to manipulate the crappy system.

Last edited:

It also read to me like Florida played hardball because naturally they're not going to admit to malpractice.

They definitely should've been counseled better to not take they approach they did because the burden of 'proof' is higher. You need more supporting documentation that only the University can provide; which they won't. So seems to me he should have been advised to just argue being closer to home for his Dad's disabilities. Lawyers versed in this stuff should know better and how to manipulate the crappy system.

That’s pretty much the exact takeaway that I had Phat. Arguing the Florida malpractice angle really makes it hard to prove

That’s pretty much the exact takeaway that I had Phat. Arguing the Florida malpractice angle really makes it hard to prove
NCAA should have treated it like an appellate case and granted based on the same limited rationale that they use for those 90% of freaking waivers that got approved. They needn't reach the medical issue because the case can be decided on a more limited basis.

Given that the NCAA granted everyone an additional year of eligibility anyway, it makes no sense why they wouldn't make everyone immediately eligible that wasn't a super late transfer.

They definitely should've been counseled better to not take the approach they did because the burden of 'proof' is higher. You need more supporting documentation that only the University can provide; which they won't. So seems to me he should have been advised to just argue being closer to home for his Dad's disabilities. Lawyers versed in this stuff should know better and how to manipulate the crappy system.

Agree 100%.

What you're essentially arguing is that the system is corrupt. Unless you know the loopholes, it doesn't do the job it's supposed to do. The kid's testimony isn't trusted by the NCAA officials unless they have a high-priced lawyer backing them, maybe also engaging in intimidation tactics, and feeding the kid the right line of bull to get their paperwork in order.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom