Chukwu | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Chukwu

I felt like a terrible person for laughing when Gillon hit him in the face with the ball yesterday. It was like they were playing dodgeball.

I felt like a terrible person for laughing when Gillon hit him in the face with the ball yesterday. It was like they were playing dodgeball.

Count me in as a terrible person as well then. I can't help but laugh at that kind of stuff. Heck even in his 1 TO Gillon managed to make it entertaining.

Count me in as a terrible person as well then. I can't help but laugh at that kind of stuff. Heck even in his 1 TO Gillon managed to make it entertaining.

Pretty sure Gillon was trying to throw it back to Battle, who was trailing over there - but PC ran down the middle and caught it right in the moosh - hard.

Pretty sure Gillon was trying to throw it back to Battle, who was trailing over there - but PC ran down the middle and caught it right in the moosh - hard.

Yep and that's what made it so funny.

So Chukwu's is responsible for Gillon only having a 15-1 assist-to-turnover ratio?

And White not having a 6th 3 pointer in that game.

Every big we've had has gone thru growing pains, from Rosie Bowie, to Danny Schayes, to Rony Seikaly, to Billy Celuck, to Ovicina, to Otis Hill, to Craig Forth, to D. Watkins, to Fab Melo, to Baye Keita, et al.
Each one got better with time, notwithstanding the "nattering nabobs of negativism" heaping scorn upon them as they struggled to figure things out.
When, not if, the light bulb goes on for PC, he will be an invaluable piece of our defensive puzzle. He can only get better with more time and more reps, & should that "Eureka" moment happen this year...well, the sky will be the absolute limit. JMHO

You left out Etan Thomas, but he only strengthens your point.

Chukwu just needs PT. He's late on defense and his timing is off because he's not used to playing at game speed. He's played 2 real games for us, so patience is in order. He'll improve, but (to your point) it would certainly help if our guards would get him the ball higher. One more ankle/knee pass to him and I was going to switch to hard liquor (then I remembered it's Holy Cross).

Boeheim on Chukwu tonight..."I hope he gets there...in my lifetime."

I mean he has a LONG way to go. I will say he has good hands and passing skills. I think because he can move well he will be more effective going out there and challenging bigs who can make a short jumper than he can defending around the basket. I don't think he'll play much come ACC time unless there is rapid development. Who knows.
His reaction time needs to improve before ACC play no doubt. I think he will play though and I think that will improve. I think a lot of it is that he hasn't played in a lot of games even though he has worked hard to gain strength and practiced a lot. I don't think the reaction time is based on his ability to react but just getting use to playing in games.

So Chukwu's is responsible for Gillon only having a 15-1 assist-to-turnover ratio?
Gillon's playing great, as you portended. He's crafty inside, quick on D, he can shoot it and he finds people. So I have no real complaints, except I'd like to see him get Chukwu the ball higher and in better position (although that pass that hit PC was probably meant for TB). One nit is that, overall, our guards don't use the bounce pass much, even in the P/R. And if you watch the NBA as many of us do, the bounce pass is often a thing of beauty.

Aside from the P/R and penetration (which Gillon and Howard have been doing well), feeding the post from either wing is a WIP right now. We've seen all kinds of D (zone, m2m, matchup zone, and HC used a 1/3/1), but regardless, I've noticed that opposing defenses are using guards for inside help on both Chukwu and DC2. That opens things up for shooters (hence our lofty 3 point percentage), but it does make inside passes difficult. To counter this, I like JB's tactic of putting TT/TL at the foul line .. both are tall enough (and have good enough vision) to use that spot to get the ball down low.

Last edited:
Coach knows that Chukwu's development is key for this team to reach it's potential...he's gonna play...and play a lot!!!

Coach knows that Chukwu's development is key for this team to reach it's potential...he's gonna play...and play a lot!!!

We're an excellent top 10 team whether Chukwu develops or not. Are we a better team if he develops, of course. Is it a key to our season? Absolutely not. We have enough fire power and depth to where this isn't 10th on the list of importance of this teams success.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom