Cigargate 2017 | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Cigargate 2017

Coach shafer is a fired up emotional coach, I loved the guy to death, during the game, my competitive spirit came out and I sent a finger gesture his way midway through the 4th quarter when for the 5th time, one of his defensive players went down "cramping". After the game though, I gladly would have shaken his hand and said well coached game coach. This loss was inexcusable for Syracuse, but you have to understand, he was coaching for THIS game. He was wrongly fired, he was learning how to be a head coach, and with time would have figured it out. Babers is great and I believe will succeed here and move on. Shafer would have stayed once he completely figured it out though. He loved this town and that's what I loved about him.

Coach shafer is a fired up emotional coach, I loved the guy to death, during the game, my competitive spirit came out and I sent a finger gesture his way midway through the 4th quarter when for the 5th time, one of his defensive players went down "cramping". After the game though, I gladly would have shaken his hand and said well coached game coach. This loss was inexcusable for Syracuse, but you have to understand, he was coaching for THIS game. He was wrongly fired, he was learning how to be a head coach, and with time would have figured it out. Babers is great and I believe will succeed here and move on. Shafer would have stayed once he completely figured it out though. He loved this town and that's what I loved about him.
He was not wrongly fired.

He was wrongly hired as HC after a Marrone.

The guy staying is irrelevant he would have never brought enough success to justify him staying. Just because he was a "good" person is irrelevant. Greg Robinson was a "good" person who would have stayed as well.

He was not wrongly fired.

He was wrongly hired as HC after a Marrone.

The guy staying is irrelevant he would have never brought enough success to justify him staying. Just because he was a "good" person is irrelevant. Greg Robinson was a "good" person who would have stayed as well.

He was not wrongly fired for sure. I go back and forth on whether he should have been hired.
At the time, I recall we wanted him and Hackett back and thought they were the genius behind Marrone. I can't fall for revisionist history bc at time I was happy for the program to have some stability after Doug left during the recruiting period.

He was not wrongly fired for sure. I go back and forth on whether he should have been hired.
At the time, I recall we wanted him and Hackett back and thought they were the genius behind Marrone. I can't fall for revisionist history bc at time I was happy for the program to have some stability after Doug left during the recruiting period.
We lost our 2 top recruits after Marrone left and Shafer was hired.
Gus Edwards and Zack Allen.
If recruiting played anything into hiring Shafer it failed to matter.

Shafer will be the HC at MTSU when the current coach retires, prolly when his son goes to the NFL. And if he is great at his second HC job at MTSU, the B1G will come calling.

We lost our 2 top recruits after Marrone left and Shafer was hired.
Gus Edwards and Zack Allen.
If recruiting played anything into hiring Shafer it failed to matter.
Had Hackett stuck I think we would have kept both.

Oh lord. Wrongly?

The B1G will come calling for him the same time they come calling for UMASS :bat:
Shafer tried to be a nice guy at Syracuse, run an acedemic program and treat the kids the right way. What it showed last week is that he can be an SOB, just like Harbargh, Meyers, Saban, Jimbo, Dabo and the rest. If I'm a AD at a school that does anything to win, that is a huge check mark in the positive column. And if the B1G took Rutgers, I don't think UMASS is some huge reach.

Don't you need to put your focus on the task at hand, namely CMU.

Fandom is hard work. I'm knee deep in prep for CMU. Sitting on my couch with a coffee, it's hard to devote much time to thinking about Shafer and remain sharp for my drinking of beers and consumption of wings in a few hours.

So it goes! It's game day! Focus.

My opinions have zero impact on the team will perform today.

I am pissed the Shafer Era set us back in the time we transitioned into the ACC.
It's the butterfly effect. If Alsacs flaps his wings in a rain forest, will that influence the outcome of a Syracuse game. Theoretically, yes.

Syracuse was good to Coach Shafer, giving him an opportunity to be a head coach at the highest level. I don't understand his bitterness nor how he could act so poorly toward his former recruits. His actions impact them the most and show he really wasn't right for the job.

He was blessed but not humble or wise enough to appreciate that SU gave him a chance no one else would have. I'd like to wish him well, but just don't feel it anymore.

He's just another guy that thinks he's owed and couldn't walk away with grace and dignity. There are a lot of people in this world that have good reason to be discouraged by their lot in life, but Scott Shafer isn't one of them. Shame on him...

This town is so full of losers it makes me sick. You'd probably be happy if he told his players to come in and take a knee...then he'd be a real class guy.

You're all conveniently avoiding the bottom line: they kicked our a**! This is football we're talking about, you line up and you drive the guy across from you into the dirt face first, and then you spit on him, and then you tell him he doesn't belong on the same field as you and his mom should have aborted him. Shafer could have done his former players no greater service. I'm disappointed he didn't save the last 100 dollar bill Syracuse paid him to light it with. I would've fired that puppy up right in the booth.

This town is so full of losers it makes me sick. You'd probably be happy if he told his players to come in and take a knee...then he'd be a real class guy.

You're all conveniently avoiding the bottom line: they kicked our a**! This is football we're talking about, you line up and you drive the guy across from you into the dirt face first, and then you spit on him, and then you tell him he doesn't belong on the same field as you and his mom should have aborted him. Shafer could have done his former players no greater service. I'm disappointed he didn't save the last 100 dollar bill Syracuse paid him to light it with. I would've fired that puppy up right in the booth.
Claaaaassy, if you mean the town is full of people like you you nailed it! Good job

The bottom line is really that Shafer got fired from a job he wanted and chose to act like a teenager whose girlfriend dumped him. Do you really think he taught the kids on either team anything good about how to act in life when faced with adversity? If you can't have what you want, do you carry on appreciating what life has given you or obsess over what you don't have? Coaches teach life lessons and I don't believe that bitterness is a good lesson plan. Character and behavior matter and he failed that test.

Syracuse was good to Coach Shafer, giving him an opportunity to be a head coach at the highest level. I don't understand his bitterness nor how he could act so poorly toward his former recruits. His actions impact them the most and show he really wasn't right for the job.

He was blessed but not humble or wise enough to appreciate that SU gave him a chance no one else would have. I'd like to wish him well, but just don't feel it anymore.

He's just another guy that thinks he's owed and couldn't walk away with grace and dignity. There are a lot of people in this world that have good reason to be discouraged by their lot in life, but Scott Shafer isn't one of them. Shame on him...
Amen don, spot on great post. I've been trying to articulate these thought all week. Thank you, if I could like this post 100x I would.

YEEEEHAWWWWWWW pardner you show them classy SOB a whatferrrr...

If Syracuse is a town of losers, then Scotty is up there with gerg.