CJ at the 2, if Roberson is what some think? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

CJ at the 2, if Roberson is what some think?

I think he'll be better than CJ in a year or two. This year not so much. I guess I'm also in the queue for the kool aid but I'm cellaring mine for one season.

In any event CJ would not be optimally productive at the 2. At the offensive end of the floor how do you space things? On D does CJ have the instincts / can he be trained to shed the habits he's developed playing the 3/4 exclusively the last few years?
You space things by letting CJ be the shooting guard. He would be the designated 3 pt launcher. In those instances he would be camped just outside the 3pt line. His % was excellent last year, the teams that don't respect that would pay.
The plan would be toss it in to Grant who draws the double, passes back out to CJ who puts up a 3. And then underneath is Roberson, DC2, and Grant going for the rebound. It has potential in my mind.

One of CJ's strengths is his bball IQ. I'm sure CJ would be amenable to trying it, it increases his pro value and highlights his scoring more.

Of course it is a long shot. But JB may consider it. In theory it seems like it may several advantages. It could shore up the 2 and if Roberson is as advertised, it gets him on the floor. JB did try it with Dirty.

Off topic whatever happened to Robert Lazor?

Transferred to Arizona State after his sophomore year. Went on to have a productive career--to the tune of about 18/7 his senior year. Pac-10 was a good fit for him.

I seem to recall us playing an NCAA game [or something] @ ASU that year, and him being interviewed about the 'Cuse playing on his home floor. He took the high road about his transfer, saying that he enjoyed his time at SU, but that leaving worked out for the best.

Transferred to Arizona State after his sophomore year. Went on to have a productive career--to the tune of about 18/7 his senior year. Pac-10 was a good fit for him.

I seem to recall us playing an NCAA game [or something] @ ASU that year, and him being interviewed about the 'Cuse playing on his home floor. He took the high road about his transfer, saying that he enjoyed his time at SU, but that leaving worked out for the best.
Just found an article about him written in April. Retired from bball back in 2008.
http://www.evesun.com/news/stories/...-of-Fame-Profile-Bobby-Lazor-Class-of-apos94/

Also note CJ has improved his jumpshot as well it looks like he releases it a quarter of a second quicker. I wouldn't be suprised to see Roberson/BJ at the two defensively so they can get a few extra minutes. Roberson might be able play the two on d and switch with fair on offense even. Keep in mind Grant and Fair will be playing 30 plus minutes per game, sliding at the 2 could tire out their legs although, I am not sure Grant would mind.

Gbinije and Cooney will not draw the mismatches that we want to have during march as of right now, but they are growing maturing players and that could change. Reguardless JB is going to play around with the 2g to try to find that mismatch for tough games. Mismatches win tough games.

I feel Gbinije is only a midrange game away from averaging 10+ppg, just like MCW's. And Cooney while he won't be able to get a shot off as easy as Southerland,Rautins,Nichols,Devendorf,Wes,Gmac ...he can still match all of them with one three point shot taken per 4 minutes.

Last edited:
It was Raf with his long arms and he managed an NBA career..

CJ also has a special quality of playing isolation basketball from the left corner. Few players throughout the years are able to achieve that. That is a very special quality that any team would kill to have. He might not have much of a head up passing ability out of it to ever be a Point forward, but you got to take advantage of that skill. He also shoots the three ball the best from the left corner(although we really don't know on our freshmen).

In recent years Syracuse has rarely gone with a juumpshooter shooter from the right corner. I find that interesting. My guess is that is due to SF's playing on the left side. I wonder who our 2nd/3rd/4th threats from the corners will be. This team has serious isolation drivers in Grant, Ennis, Gbinije(once he finds his midrange), and maybe even BJ/Roberson. Nobody is going to leave CJ open on the left side to double. If we can add a second solid shooter/isolation scorer from outside/just inside the arc on the right side we could have a clearout for Grant all day long.

Maybe even throw CJ on the right side some like his sophmore year where Dion would isolate and get him the ball, while throwing someone else on the left side. The left side is likely to be more on the perimeter then the right, and CJ is our best from midrange and in. It could be good in practices to run out of the norm and let some other guys get some practice from the left corner(like BJ/Roberson maybe). BJ could end up being the first or second best three point shooter on this team.

Last edited:
These are fun thoughts and interesting discussions but not very likely. It's alluring to consider having that kind of height and length across the board and it's partially fueled by the coaches trying different looks in practices and even in OOC games against cupcakes. But I think the real motivator, this year, for the discussions of BJ/CJ/(input forward name-of-the-week) playing at the 2 is the general lack of faith in Mike G or Cooney to fill the role. I may be in the minority here but I think we're well taken care of in the 2-guard department this year without having to create ways to put an extra SF on the court or carve extra minutes out for our freshmen in alternate positions. I'm no authority on the issue but I suspect that JAB would agree with me.

You space things by letting CJ be the shooting guard. He would be the designated 3 pt launcher. In those instances he would be camped just outside the 3pt line. His % was excellent last year, the teams that don't respect that would pay.
The plan would be toss it in to Grant who draws the double, passes back out to CJ who puts up a 3. And then underneath is Roberson, DC2, and Grant going for the rebound. It has potential in my mind.

One of CJ's strengths is his bball IQ. I'm sure CJ would be amenable to trying it, it increases his pro value and highlights his scoring more.

Of course it is a long shot. But JB may consider it. In theory it seems like it may several advantages. It could shore up the 2 and if Roberson is as advertised, it gets him on the floor. JB did try it with Dirty.
unless he is a terrible guard

Taking not only our best rebounder, but pretty much our only dependable rebounder out of the forward spot makes no sense. We have plenty of guys to play the 2, Roberson can wait a year and sit behind Grant and Fair for a season. I think Roberson will be a good player but at this time Fair is an elite college player and Grant is one of the most athletic players this university has ever seen, no reason to defer minutes to Roberson if Grant/Fair are not injured. If Rak doesn't improve or show us much, he can sit a little bit, if Roberson isn't an improvement over Rak in the time he is given, give the minutes back to Rak. MCW, Waiters, Melo, and Coleman were much bigger prospects coming here than Roberson, they all pretty much sat their first season, no reason he can't.

These are fun thoughts and interesting discussions but not very likely. It's alluring to consider having that kind of height and length across the board and it's partially fueled by the coaches trying different looks in practices and even in OOC games against cupcakes. But I think the real motivator, this year, for the discussions of BJ/CJ/(input forward name-of-the-week) playing at the 2 is the general lack of faith in Mike G or Cooney to fill the role. I may be in the minority here but I think we're well taken care of in the 2-guard department this year without having to create ways to put an extra SF on the court or carve extra minutes out for our freshmen in alternate positions. I'm no authority on the issue but I suspect that JAB would agree with me.
I'm with you . . . I think Cooney is going to surprise a lot of people

Taking not only our best rebounder, but pretty much our only dependable rebounder out of the forward spot makes no sense. We have plenty of guys to play the 2, Roberson can wait a year and sit behind Grant and Fair for a season. I think Roberson will be a good player but at this time Fair is an elite college player and Grant is one of the most athletic players this university has ever seen, no reason to defer minutes to Roberson if Grant/Fair are not injured. If Rak doesn't improve or show us much, he can sit a little bit, if Roberson isn't an improvement over Rak in the time he is given, give the minutes back to Rak. MCW, Waiters, Melo, and Coleman were much bigger prospects coming here than Roberson, they all pretty much sat their first season, no reason he can't.
Have to agree here. Roberson's super talented ... but JB has made two lottery picks in a row come off the bench their first year. Nothing indicates this year will be any different.

That said, I think TR could get 12-14 mpg backing up CJ (and as a third option behind Rak/Grant).

I think it's clear our two best players are CJ and Jerami based on what they've proven in games, practices, our system, camps, etc. If my hunch is right, Tyler Ennis will quickly jump into that group and become part of our "Big Three."

Come crunch time, those three surely will be on the court and the three leaders in minutes. Then, depending on how DC2/Rak play, one of those two will get the mins at the 5 and share the rest with Baye. We know that JB loves what Baye brings to the 5 on D, so he'll average about 17 mins a game but it's a good chance will be on the court during crunch time (unless DC2 or Rak really take a big leap).

So, that really only leaves one other position, the 2. We certainly need Cooney or G to step up and get some quality mins/production and hope that happens. However, if neither excel, and Roberson is the player that many think he is, I wonder if JB ends up finding a way to get CJ, Jerami and both Tylers on the court, to go along with a big? If we have great basketball talent in CJ/Grant/Roberson, and just good basketball talent in Cooney/G, I think you try to maximum said talent and get them on the court.

JB made a real effort to try James at the two and he was more mechanical than CJ. So, I think he wonders the same thing. It doesn't have to be 10-15 mins at the 2, it could be 3-4 mins each half, esp. during crunch time.

A backline of the Tyler R, Baye and Grant would be one of best interior D's in a looong time. CJ and Tyler E up top would be long, athletic and could rebound from the G position. Sure, we'd have issues with a zone but who says we aren't going to even with G or Cooney?

Have to agree here. Roberson's super talented ... but JB has made two lottery picks in a row come off the bench their first year. Nothing indicates this year will be any different.

That said, I think TR could get 12-14 mpg backing up CJ (and as a third option behind Rak/Grant).

That's also assuming that Silent G doesn't play the 3 at all, which I think he will. I'm not saying there aren't minutes for Roberson to get, but with our current roster there aren't many. There are SOOOOOOOO many variables with this team that Roberson could end up with 25 minutes a game. Cooney blows and G is playing a ton at the 2 and doesn't get any minutes at the 3, G blows and doesn't get minutes at the 3 at all, Rak is flat and doesn't get minutes at the 4 and only spells at the 5, Rak blows up while Kieta is Kieta and Coleman is pedestrian and Rak is playing a ton at the 5 and Roberson is the one spelling Fair and Grant. I mean, there are TONS of ways for our freshman to get minutes this year, unlike a couple years ago when MCW a McD AA sitting because we have epic guards, or Waiters a top recruit sitting because we had great guards. We have guys in front of Roberson, Patterson, and Johnson, but if some of our more unproven guys like Silent G, Ennis, and Cooney don't play up to par, there are minutes to be had by these freshman. We are scary deep right now, this is going to be a unreal season to watch. I cannot wait to see how it plays out.

Bingo. The same might be even said of Roberson. He played the 5 often in high school.
I don't see it. You're going to bench 2 McDs and a senior to play someone out of position, in the most complex defensive spot of the zone?
JB is especially not putting Roberson at center. He is developing Roberson to be a forward. How can you think a part time high school M2M center can be even remotely qualified to man SU's center position? Several (all) the McD HS centers have had troubles in their frosh year. How could Roberson possibly be put in over a senior and two McDs with several years in the program. It makes no sense. It won't happen.

If Roberson blows up and approaches the advertised Billy Owens level, I think the adjustment to try would be CJ to the 2.

The 2g has no McDs. The 2g is currently our worst spot. It may be possible to meet two objectives with the CJ to the two: shore up the worst position and get Roberson some time.

I hope JB tries it. I think CJ will be better at it than Dirty because CJ has a better handle, a calmer demeanor, and a higher bball IQ. It would also help focus CJ to take on an active scoring philosophy which he has earned as a 4yr senior.

I agree. How Many twos could challenge CJ? Give it a try in OOC. If he could play the 2, it would be an nba meal ticket.

You may have raised the key point with CJ. While JB wants to get the five best players on the court regardless of position, at this stage of his career I can't see CJ trying to convert to a 2G. It might work in college, but if he is going to play NBA, it most certainly won't be at the 2G, and neither he nor JB would want to risk that.

I don't see it. You're going to bench 2 McDs and a senior to play someone out of position, in the most complex defensive spot of the zone?
JB is especially not putting Roberson at center. He is developing Roberson to be a forward. How can you think a part time high school M2M center can be even remotely qualified to man SU's center position? Several (all) the McD HS centers have had troubles in their frosh year. How could Roberson possibly be put in over a senior and two McDs with several years in the program. It makes no sense. It won't happen.

If Roberson blows up and approaches the advertised Billy Owens level, I think the adjustment to try would be CJ to the 2.

The 2g has no McDs. The 2g is currently our worst spot. It may be possible to meet two objectives with the CJ to the two: shore up the worst position and get Roberson some time.

I hope JB tries it. I think CJ will be better at it than Dirty because CJ has a better handle, a calmer demeanor, and a higher bball IQ. It would also help focus CJ to take on an active scoring philosophy which he has earned as a 4yr senior.
No, I just meant I could see it more than a big man at the 2.

And besides, you've got to do a little bit better when talking about Roberson. He played plenty of 2-3 zone in high school (at Center, no less). ;)

Just think about Fair handling the ball around halfcourt against a quicker, smaller guard and tell me how this would work. I mean BJ Johnson has a good handle for a forward but I don't think I would completely trust him to not get ripped by an average D1 guard away from the basket.

i thought that Preston Shumpert make the switch?

Yeah, a bit, and so did Raf Addison. He's had a tendency to get skilled guys for their height all along, and 3 forwards on the floor has popped up when the talent fit. The Leo-Red Bruin-Dale Shackleford teams were also a 3 SF team.

No, I just meant I could see it more than a big man at the 2.

And besides, you've got to do a little bit better when talking about Roberson. He played plenty of 2-3 zone in high school (at Center, no less). ;)
Both alternatives seem to be long shots. Of the two, I am hoping JB tries the CJ at the 2 experiment.

To me, the possibility of upgrading our worst spot with CJ and finding a way to get Roberson time is appealing.

Both alternatives seem to be long shots. Of the two, I am hoping JB tries the CJ at the 2 experiment.

To me, the possibility of upgrading our worst spot with CJ and finding a way to get Roberson time is appealing.
True, true. I would love to get the most minutes out of our best guys. Question really is, do we see one of these big men moving around the top of the zone? I just don't see any of Roberson, CJ, Grant covering that ground. I would be all for it if they could.

That's also assuming that Silent G doesn't play the 3 at all, which I think he will. I'm not saying there aren't minutes for Roberson to get, but with our current roster there aren't many. There are SOOOOOOOO many variables with this team that Roberson could end up with 25 minutes a game. Cooney blows and G is playing a ton at the 2 and doesn't get any minutes at the 3, G blows and doesn't get minutes at the 3 at all, Rak is flat and doesn't get minutes at the 4 and only spells at the 5, Rak blows up while Kieta is Kieta and Coleman is pedestrian and Rak is playing a ton at the 5 and Roberson is the one spelling Fair and Grant. I mean, there are TONS of ways for our freshman to get minutes this year, unlike a couple years ago when MCW a McD AA sitting because we have epic guards, or Waiters a top recruit sitting because we had great guards. We have guys in front of Roberson, Patterson, and Johnson, but if some of our more unproven guys like Silent G, Ennis, and Cooney don't play up to par, there are minutes to be had by these freshman. We are scary deep right now, this is going to be a unreal season to watch. I cannot wait to see how it plays out.

There are variables, and we do have versatile players. But unless something significant happens, CJF is going to start at SF and MG is unlikely to see any meaningful time at SG or SF. As far as SG, he's a good ball handler and he can play the 2 on D. But we need points out of that position and both guys in front of him (TC/BJ) are better outside shooters.

The 3 ... is loaded. You might have had an argument if TR had been an academic casualty, but now that he's cleared, I think he and CJ will vacuum up every available minute at the small forward position.

We do have depth, but it's on the front line. Our backcourt is not deep. TE, a freshman, is very poised. But he'll have to play 30+ mpg. His backup, MG, is in his first (live) season with SU and will be lucky to average 4 ppg. Shooting guard is another WIP ... the presumptive starter is making MCW look like a sharpshooter. His backup is another freshman -- with a nice stroke but unproven at the position. How these guys are going to get anywhere near last year's 25 mpg remains a mystery. And that team only averaged 70 ppg (not exactly an offensive juggernaut).

Another concern is back court defense. Our team D last year was as good as I've seen in a long time. We literally suffocated IU and Marquette in the tournament. That'll be the case again this year inside, but on the perimeter I think we're going to miss MCW and BT.

Last edited:
Fair and Grant are excellent Syracuse forwards. Why experiment and move Fair out of his natural position when he's had so much success the past three years? The trio of Fair, Grant and Roberson rotating at the forwards (probably about 70 to 75 minutes among them) is plenty of time for the two best players on the team while getting your up-and-coming star, Roberson, experience for next year. We need Fair and Grant to be fresh and productive - resting Fair would be more beneficial than having him play too many minutes out of position.

I find it hard to believe that between Ennis, Gbinije, Cooney, Patterson and BJ (each with a unique skill set) we can't get 80 minutes of decent basketball. The "weakness" at the second guard and center are way overblown.

Fair and Grant are excellent Syracuse forwards. Why experiment and move Fair out of his natural position when he's had so much success the past three years? The trio of Fair, Grant and Roberson rotating at the forwards (probably about 70 to 75 minutes among them) is plenty of time for the two best players on the team while getting your up-and-coming star, Roberson, experience for next year. We need Fair and Grant to be fresh and productive - resting Fair would be more beneficial than having him play too many minutes out of position.

I find it hard to believe that between Ennis, Gbinije, Cooney, Patterson and BJ (each with a unique skill set) we can't get 80 minutes of decent basketball. The "weakness" at the second guard and center are way overblown.

Agreed. I think a lot of teams (roughly 99%) would be just fine with our 'weaknesses.'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom