CJ at the 2, if Roberson is what some think? | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

CJ at the 2, if Roberson is what some think?

The comparison I originally made of Baye to Forth , from my frame of reference, was that both players came to SU with liabilities in their game. Each year
Can't tell if I love it or not so much.

Brief Summary:
CJ will play the 2.
Roberson and Grant will see plenty of run at the 5.
Chinonso Obokoh is our starting point guard.
Craig Forth = Keita.
Both are superstars.
:)
If Fantasy Basketball has not already been invented, you just did!

, JB wants to develop a sg for the big year '14-'15, CJ isn't good at the 2, .

Next year sounds good with a bunch of names but the loss of Ennis,Fair and Grant if they jump will be huge. I am not confident yet that anyone next year can meet their level.

Your asking Roberson, BJ, Cooney, Gbinije, Dajuan, Rak and freshmen mccullough(without a go to move in the halfcourt), to match Fair and Grants offensive leadership on top of their one on one scoring abilities as well as being first and second scoring options. And Joseph/Gbinije to be a scorer and run the offense like Ennis will . Loosing a veteran senior forward like cj as a outside shooter will hurt. We will be replaced by freshmen sophmore forwards from outside.

The comparison I originally made of Baye to Forth , from my frame of reference, was that both players came to SU with liabilities in their game. Each year

Was just playing around with the wildness of this thread. ;)

I still don't get why you would do that. Seems like team suicide. Because SU moves CJ to the 2, you would try to guard Grant and Roberson with guards? Those guards would get absolutely destroyed on the blocks. SU would be posting them up and scoring at will.

And I also disagree that we won't have long to wait. It's unlikely CJ will play the 2 so we won't see the other team's response. And if CJ were to get a chance at the 2 it would probably be after the other 2's show they can't get the job done and after Roberson impresses.

But of the reasons for not moving CJ to the 2 - ie a sg shows improvement, JB doesn't want chemistry issues, JB wants to develop a sg for the big year '14-'15, CJ isn't good at the 2, Roberson is not Billy Owens like, JB wants to 'boeheim' Roberson to be here for '14-'15, or CJ doesn't have the handle- the idea that JB would be afraid of another team putting out a 4 guard lineup has to be at the bottom.

Sgt, I'm not a coach. I'm just a fan on a forum, using some free time to have some fun with this. And I agree that Moqui's "lineup" was probably intended, for good reason, to poke fun at the thread (although it doesn't specify that "CJ plays the 2") http://syracusefan.com/threads/cj-at-the-2-if-roberson-is-what-some-think.57412/page-4

Accordingly, for amusement only, it's an interesting question how you'd play against a 5-star guard, a big center rotation and 3 NBA-caliber forwards. The C and guard are easy. But who do you put up against 3 forwards who are THAT GOOD. If you play any of them with guards, I agree there will be trouble unless your guys are magicians on D and your center is HUGE. If you play forwards, you'll also have trouble on D, because TR and CJ, at least, can drive and create their own offense. Grant's just starting to do this ... with more excitement on the way this year. Pick your poison.

What lineup would you put out there? And what if Tyler Roberson, not CJ, is playing SG for SU?

Last edited:
What lineup would you put out there? And what if Tyler Roberson, not CJ, is playing SG for SU?

Its about who plays 2g on defense. Grant and Fair will be playing huge minutes, it would be hard on them to make them slide back and forth uptop in the 2-3. So roberson is the one you hope for to be able to handle it defensively up top. It could be better grant gets closer to 28-32 mpg then 34-40 though, and just running this lineup for a few minutes. We still have Rak and Roberson to spell him a few.

Its not about offense if your going to do it. CJ would grab the perimeter game, and Grant would grab the high or low post whichever one Roberson doesn't favor to score from. Also keep in mind Ennis would probably be further out on the perimeter, and CJ could end up in the left corner to open up the paint more.

It would be one of jb's special lineups that he runs with only 4 to (if really good) 15 mpg. Usually jb runs with lineups like these in the second half. Lineups like these, can win games just Like Scoop/KJO, or Dion being 6th men off the bench. So yes this is a important post.

I like bees idea of the three in the backline, as they have the skill to do it, but the need is at sg as far as scoring and chemistry issues, and our 3 bigs are way ahead of our sg's imo.

Last edited:

This is all T/C, Lenn, Tee knows his stuff.

Not to belittle the idea of CJ playing 2 but I don't believe this will happen as we have Cooney, Gbinije, BJ and Buss all to fill SG, whether they play other positions or not. You know I like the value Roberson brings to the table, and CJ & Grant have already proven they are phenomenal forwards. But I don't see that as a reason to change one of these guys' natural positions.

But isn't this more relevant? CJ and Grant possibly starting even though we have gone big-big-forward the past few years?
http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2013/09/mikes_mailbox_will_syracuse_st.html

For one, it keeps these guys where they belong, at the forward spot and leaves a center to do his job. Secondly, that they get on the floor early and get more minutes playing alongside each other.

But give JB credit. He has brought in some dynamic game-changer from the bench and it has worked well. Maybe something to be said of getting one of these guys to in-game scout the competition.

I am torn on this one.

Given our personnel I,m curious to see if CJ could play the 2, but if I were to vote on who should get the most minutes at the 2, I would go for baby BJ unless TC pulls his own weight in Maui.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom