Clayton. Welch. | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Clayton. Welch.

Devito is 27th in the country in completion percentage. Isn’t the end all but says something.
Well when you are a division 1 quarterback and throw about 7 or 8 screen type passes a game that surely helps your percentage just saying.

Well when you are a division 1 quarterback and throw about 7 or 8 screen type passes a game that surely helps your percentage just saying.

All QBs throw screens. So it’s relative. And if all he does is throw screen type passes why is he 18th in the country in passing years? Besides, if we throw so many screens, how come there are so many posts in the game threads screaming for us to start using screens?

While true, he also produced 212 combined passing and rushing yards in...what, half a game?

We’re never going to be able to sustain drives the traditional way with this OL.

If he can connect on a bomb once a game and break a few good runs - that possibly open things up for other big plays, that’s probably about the best we can do.

True.
But I do feel the same thing that dungey went through Welch is gonna be a pinball for the DT, DE, and LB.
And with the line as worse as it is now it may be worse.

True but Welch is 240

And he was beat up in just a small amount of time. As a coach, you should know better. Guys of any size simply cannot get unloaded on constantly and stay healthy. Christ....

Tommy Devito is a fantastic talent. But behind this offensive line he has literally had no shot. If he is in fact out for the year, I'm completely abandoning any hope of a miracle finish to six wins and a bowl.

Why would Tommy go anywhere? The kid literally saved our season last year. A QB needs an OL and guys that can catch. Both have been utterly disappointing this year.

Devito is 27th in the country in completion percentage. Isn’t the end all but says something.

It took me 7 games to realize how unimportant that can be. Quite the learning experience for me this year.

A kid came in who might literally miss the water from a boat and led us to two TDs. Just because he actually threw the football.

Why would Tommy go anywhere? The kid literally saved our season last year. A QB needs an OL and guys that can catch. Both have been utterly disappointing this year.

You asked a question and answered it in one short post.

Our next opponent will not be surprised by Welch's abilities. Let's see how well he does against a defense that knows he exists.

The ball HAS to be thrown. At least with Clayton the ball got out of his hands - he had no problem identifying where the football needed to go and he pulled the trigger.

My fear with Tommy is he’s a one read guy and if that read isn’t there panic sets in

The ball HAS to be thrown. At least with Clayton the ball got out of his hands - he had no problem identifying where the football needed to go and he pulled the trigger.

My fear with Tommy is he’s a one read guy and if that read isn’t there panic sets in
Bingo. We were talking about this at the game. He at least tries to throw guys open. The wide receivers are talented enough. I saw guys open lots. I also saw Welch move on his reads far better than tommy has all year. His arm may be a fraction of Tommy’s but his pocket presence and decision making was far superior. May not be the case after he gets hit a thousand more times but it was last night.

Better shot of that happening when you throw the ball instead of holding it and backing into another sack.
Also in his defense Harris and our wideouts were tackled after they beat their guys.

I think people are going a bit overboard with what Welch brings to the table.

Reportedly, there was a big gulf between DeVito and every other QB on the roster. But that's apparently been erased now that Welch got in the game and is now a "gamer," to the tune of completing 40% of his passes including a bunch of throws that hit the turf like a pimp owed money.

A lot of money.

If DeVito's out, this is a lost year.

Also, there’s no way you can tell me that Welch shouldn’t have been starting this season from day 1
They would have won the last 2 games and be 5-2 with CW as the starter.

So you’re both saying Babers is an incompetent dolt?

Reportedly, there was a big gulf between DeVito and every other QB on the roster. But that's apparently been erased now that Welch got in the game and is now a "gamer," to the tune of completing 40% of his passes including a bunch of throws that hit the turf like a pimp owed money.

A lot of money.

I think the issue boils down to whether there is an issue with Tommy’s abilities transferring into games. There’s no doubt he’s the far more talented QB. I think it’s more that he’s shell shocked this year from the OL play and he will ultimately recover. But there’s been issues with him in terms of making the right reads.

A lot of money.

Oh, no, Welch is a legitimately bad QB, but he was able to move the offense at least a little, soooo...

i liked how he bull rushed into the defenders on his 1st couple of carries. we all saw how quickly that took it's toll. couple of his tosses should have been easy picks. he's a lofter. and it will cost us.
ps clayton handled himself well in the post presser. very humble dude.

Last edited:

you missed it earlier this week when I shared that he’s #6 in the ACC in yards per attempt?

Nailed it. Does Welch have Tommy's arm? No, and it's not even close. But he can run, he can get out of the pocket, he can break tackles, he seems to see the field better and is much more decisive albeit given the small data set. Not to say that he is the answer, because he's not remotely the answer, but he does bring some things to the table that Tommy doesn't.

I have to say I am a bit surprised. We all know that Tommy has been professionally trained since he was a fetus or whatever, and that is certainly reflected in his arm (the oddball occasional sidearm passes aside). What surprises me is that despite all of that training the mental aspects aren't at the same level and that was true even before the injury. He is a redshirt soph with a redshirt senior arm but redshirt soph (or occasionally redshirt frosh) mental/football IQ skills. Nothing wrong with that, because he IS a RSo but I expected that part of his game to be more aligned with his pure passing skills, again because of his legendary training.

Also, for the posters ripping the WR's, it is true that they have dropped some passes. ALL QB's have dropped passes. It's baked into their percentage numbers. But Rick pointed out that Tommy is Top 30 nationally in percentage and Top 20 in yards...SOMEBODY is catching those passes! It isn't the fans or Tommy or Tommy's family, so the WR's can't be as bad as some are making them out to be.

Welch has one “good” game and he’s our savior.

I think we’ve all learned to temper our expectations, but it appears some have not, and after one game (sample size) people are appointing Welch the “savior.”
Someone just said it that now defenses have a film to scout and now they are gonna push up with the DEs and make him move up and try to keep the tackles low, or if that doesn’t work just rush 4 we’ve already proven we can’t block so just leave someone to spy on him.
I have a feeling that he’s gonna have to get rid of the ball faster now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom