Clemson Postgame Thoughts | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Clemson Postgame Thoughts

I have to believe that Taylor had a good week in practice. Red wanted him to get his shot back and the last two games he has shown that he'd like to drive the ball. He is shooting like he is trying not to miss instead of trying to make, if that makes sense.

Judah really needs to have a serious sit-down and listen to the coaches. He has too much talent to waste it with the solo efforts he makes. If he won't listen, he belongs somewhere else regardless. He needs to understand how bad that will look to pro teams.

Bell has shown improvement, and we can lay that back to listening to coaches.

We need to remember that JJ was hurt and from what we know that changed his shot in the process. Coaching helped that as we've seen in the last few games.

I think we have seen just about as much as we could expect from the players we have. As someone said earlier, it will be interesting to see how they play out the season.

Effort is the one thing a player can give without coaching.

I have a feeling a lot of long time STHs we’re willing to hang on to see the new regime. Now that they’ve witnessed the new product there might be a mass sell off.

I’ve gotten tickets for two games this year WAAAAAY below box office - or season ticket - pricing. That’s usually an indicator a lot of people took a bath on tickets and won’t renew next year.

in contrast it was unusual to see griff really engaging a player during a TO. several gestures about getting hands up in some capacity . mintz didn't seemed tuned in. and gerry was just walking around chewing gum per usual .
We need some fresh eyes for talent evaluation, recruiting and coaching

NBA scouts at the Dome after watching Judah:
Adam Devine Reaction GIF
They were there for Hall not Judah.

Not even a short modest thank you video for Girard during a timeout from the University? This is what I heard anyway.

Bush league if that is indeed the case.
He had his “senior day” and now he plays for Clemson. Had a nice career here and had the chance to stay, but now he’s the opponent. Personally I’m fine with nothing.

Seems to me the our guys are more interested in running to the other basket instead of rebounding the ball.

This would be a much more intriguing strategy if once we do get the ball - even if by happenstance we did get a board - Mintz didn't walk up it the floor 93% of the time.

Just got back from the game. I thought the last five minutes of the first half and the first seventeen minutes of the second half was some of the best basketball we played all year. The dropped pass that Brown missed for a layup, JJ’s missed layup and the steal that Copeland had and didn’t convert were three big plays in the game. The steal and then the shirt grab by Clemson that caused him to step out of bounds was a big call. The short, stocky black haired ref was absolute horrible today. He’s an arrogant SOB as an official. He and the other smaller official were clueless at times. We couldn’t get a call in the first half. JJ and Bell were not nearly aggressive enough in the first half. I would like to see Red isolate Copeland near the foul line against man and zone. He’s really crafty in the lane. I still think we need to find Brown more. If the ball moves he will get open and get position for offensive boards. Great comeback, but Clemson had a go to guy down the stretch and we stopped doing what got us back in the game. Today was most efficient I have ever seen Girard play. Kudos to him. Now get ready for UNC.

I really hate that the narrative of our football team has also become the narrative of our basketball team. At least in terms of injuries and late season losses

Something stinks in our AD's strength & conditioning dept.
It can't be a coincidence that we're always on the short end of injuries in the 2 major sports.
It's like we always end up back here- hoping to eke out a few wins w/ a depleted roster.

Deja Vu Echo GIF by Aurora Consulting - EIDL Consulting

Sw
Mintz sticking in the NBA is laughable. Just send him directly to Europe and he'll make some coin there and have a nice international career. Making the big show? No, not gonna happen.
mintz woudn't make a team at the euroleague level either. he would have to play on one of those lower tiered teams in a lower league. I don't people realize how good the top leagues over there are now. but sure, there are pro leagues he can play in. PBA being my first choice for him.

Certain guys need to go, the process clearly has started.

Need a regular person PG, and more size for sure.
If Starling is back and playing 35 per night I want him at the 1 and a better shooter as our 2.

Thinking we can portal a better PG than Mintz and Copeland is probably irrational. A better shooter sure every team has them.

Give me someone who can shoot 40% at guard and then a big 6-8” athletic physical D stopper type and that’s probably all we need.

Starling
Portal Guard
Bell
Freeman
Brown

Cope
Moore
Portal Forward
McLeod

You can tell Red in his post game press conference is trying not to be negative about Judah, but he’s struggling to say our offense has droughts because Mintz kills our ball movement. He’s biting his tongue.
Red has preached "team" ever since he started. He has said little to nothing about individuals in most cases.

I think that Hima, and Taylor and MIntz are gone. McCloud will be back if he is healthy and so will Carey.
Including Benny that is four gone. I believe we bring in a forward, big and PG
Weird thread to put this in but I’ve been wondering how with Taylor & Brown being so close & former AAU teammates, what effect, if any, a potential Taylor transfer would have on Brown’s future plans. Just a thought.

Last edited:
You can tell Red in his post game press conference is trying not to be negative about Judah, but he’s struggling to say our offense has droughts because Mintz kills our ball movement. He’s biting his tongue.
"Draft stock" to protect

Red said he was going to bench them if they didn’t show effort, didn’t bench anyone in the first half when they’re were getting blown by every play
How many players do you think we have?

When Griff was coaching him on the side toward the end of the game it looked like Judah was debating him instead of listening
Funny, I didn't get that at all. They were standing there, and there was even a couple pats. I also loved how Red let Gmac and Griff have their say. They are together on the same page in how they want things to run, and they respect each other.

Weird thread to put this in but I’ve been wondering how with Taylor & Brown being so close & former AAU teammates, what effect, if any, a potential Taylor transfer would have on Brown’s future plans. Just a thought.
Taylor could stay with the understanding he’s the 10th or 11th man on the roster next year. But we do need the roster spot so maybe that’s not feasible.

If Starling is back and playing 35 per night I want him at the 1 and a better shooter as our 2.

Thinking we can portal a better PG than Mintz and Copeland is probably irrational. A better shooter sure every team has them.

Give me someone who can shoot 40% at guard and then a big 6-8” athletic physical D stopper type and that’s probably all we need.

Starling
Portal Guard
Bell
Freeman
Brown

Cope
Moore
Portal Forward
McLeod
Lord no. Starling’s not a 1 under any circumstances.

And we need more turnover than you’re suggesting.

Taylor could stay with the understanding he’s the 10th or 11th man on the roster next year. But we do need the roster spot so maybe that’s not feasible.
I don't think Taylor is going anywhere. I think he is going to work with GMac and get his shot straightened out. Then he will move over a spot where he should be more effective against guys more his size. He is being asked to play the 4 spot which a traditional 4 he isn't.

I don't think Taylor is going anywhere. I think he is going to work with GMac and get his shot straightened out. Then he will move over a spot where he should be more effective against guys more his size. He is being asked to play the 4 spot which a traditional 4 he isn't.
We’re in trouble next year if Taylor has to play meaningful minutes. I commend his effort, but he’s just not good enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom