Clemson Postgame Thoughts | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Clemson Postgame Thoughts

are you thinking Westry is done do to injuries ?
Forgot about him. I guess he’s Cuffe but able to play minutes at the 3 and 4 spot.

I guess we just really need to add the best shooter possible. We’re all set at PG with Westry Cope and JJ IMO there is enough ball handling and distribution. Along with size. And even rebounding is ok for PG.

There are several sites that do NIT bracketology and yes, we are a NIT bubble team. Our chances of making it will depend on winning a few more games. I expect we'll have a pretty good idea about the NIT two weeks from now after the Notre Dame game. Go Cuse!

The NIT is completely worthless now, IMO. I don't care at all if we make it. It used to potentially be something that a young team could build off of for the following season, but with unlimited free agency and massive roster turnover year after year, it has almost zero value at all. Just get the season over with and get to work on assembling hopefully a much more competent roster for next season.

The NIT is completely worthless now, IMO. I don't care at all if we make it. It used to potentially be something that a young team could build off of for the following season, but with unlimited free agency and massive roster turnover year after year, it has almost zero value at all. Just get the season over with and get to work on assembling hopefully a much more competent roster for next season.

This, NIT is pointless, we need the staff ready to hit the portal and recruiting thebsecond the season ends. Looks for Jucos, late signees, euro players whatever it takes. Playing Siena in front 2K people on a Wed night in the NIT isn't helping this program one iota

I’ve seen enough from Taylor to know he’s not an ACC caliber player. Too many flaws regardless of what position he plays.
Whenever I read this same comment I always think of the Sopranos when Uncle Junior gives Tony for not being a Varsity level football player in High School ha

We’re all set at PG with Westry Cope and JJ IMO there is enough ball handling and distribution.
JJ and Cope are guys who can play some PG but are not ideally starting PG on a very good team. Cope could develop into a pretty solid PG, but my preference would be to develop him into a really versatile 3 who plays like 15-20 minutes at the 3 and 10-15 at the 1. A point SF who can drive past the bigger opponents, shoot like 33-35% from 3 if left open, and distribute to the bigs when he gets inside.

If I were Red, I'd be starting him at PG right now, but my long term goal would not be for him to be the starting PG.

JJ is ideally splitting minutes between the 1 and 2. Perfect world, we bring in a true PG and JJ and Cope spell him, depending on opponents - good matchup for Cope at the 3, JJ backs up point. If not, JJ stays at the 2 and Cope backs up the point.

Versatility is a strength in many ways, but just because we have two guys who *can* play the point doesn't mean we're fine at the point and shouldn't try to get an upgrade there.

I left Westry out because the jury is still out.

JJ and Cope are guys who can play some PG but are not ideally starting PG on a very good team. Cope could develop into a pretty solid PG, but my preference would be to develop him into a really versatile 3 who plays like 15-20 minutes at the 3 and 10-15 at the 1. A point SF who can drive past the bigger opponents, shoot like 33-35% from 3 if left open, and distribute to the bigs when he gets inside.

If I were Red, I'd be starting him at PG right now, but my long term goal would not be for him to be the starting PG.

JJ is ideally splitting minutes between the 1 and 2. Perfect world, we bring in a true PG and JJ and Cope spell him, depending on opponents - good matchup for Cope at the 3, JJ backs up point. If not, JJ stays at the 2 and Cope backs up the point.

Versatility is a strength in many ways, but just because we have two guys who *can* play the point doesn't mean we're fine at the point and shouldn't try to get an upgrade there.

I left Westry out because the jury is still out.
Q would be good as a designator defender.
Like yesterday against someone like Joe, tell him don't let him touch the ball. Take him out of the game, and no way Joe could guard someone like Q.

Q would be good as a designator defender.
Like yesterday against someone like Joe, tell him don't let him touch the ball. Take him out of the game, and no way Joe could guard someone like Q.
The problem for Cuse in that situation would be the other players having to play basically 4 on 4, as Joe would just hang on the perimeter and take Q away from the hoop since he would be face guarding him. That leaves Judah, JJ, Bell and Malik to have to guard a combination of: 6’10” PJ hall, 6’10” Jack Clark, 6’8” Ian Schefflin, 6’4” Chase Hunter, 6’10” Wiggins, or 6’8” RJ Godfrey.

I can’t see that working out in Cuse’s favor. Sure Joe probably wouldn’t score 18, but he wouldn’t have to. And you are right that Joe wouldn’t be able to guard Q, but he wouldn’t have to. Clemson would either play zone or certainly switch assignments and have Joe guard either Mintz or JJ.

At this point of the season it appears Red is as stubborn as JB about being wrong.
Even though we fall behind at the start of every game, he is going to start Taylor.
I have to agree with your post on starting Taylor. There can be absolutely no other reason? It was so apparent versus Clemson and it was known before the game we needed more at the 3 to stop their bigs.

reporter: Coach, Judah six of 18 from the
field today obviously he impacts the
game in a plethora of different ways but
when you see a stat line like that what
do you think of it?

AA We need to you know
We need to make
We need to make as a team
We need to make better Better plays together i
You know um again we need you
know need to make we need to make as a
team we need to make better better plays
together you know um again you know he
played the bulk of the minutes and Judah is
an aggressive guy but you know um I
think uh you know
just the game I don't
really look at the stat I'm just talking
about the game I just thought the game
I just thought the game it was some more plays that needed to be
made out there um and we didn't make
them but you know that happens

Last edited:
I have to agree with your post on starting Taylor. There can be absolutely no other reason? It was so apparent versus Clemson and it was known before the game we needed more at the 3 to stop their bigs.
You can make the case that this team isn't going anywhere without another shooter. The best candidate for someone developing into that is probably JT. Meanwhile, at least he's showing a little basketball IQ and hustle.

You can sit him down, but if you do, he's not going to start hitting and we're still going to be mediocre, at best.

Just a theory. But it's a similar situation to JJ earlier in the season, about which people said AA was just being stubborn. JJ got it going, to an extent, but we still need another shooter.

This, NIT is pointless, we need the staff ready to hit the portal and recruiting thebsecond the season ends. Looks for Jucos, late signees, euro players whatever it takes. Playing Siena in front 2K people on a Wed night in the NIT isn't helping this program one iota
So we’re in agreement we need to tank to make sure we don’t get an invite.

You can make the case that this team isn't going anywhere without another shooter. The best candidate for someone developing into that is probably JT. Meanwhile, at least he's showing a little basketball IQ and hustle.

You can sit him down, but if you do, he's not going to start hitting and we're still going to be mediocre, at best.

Just a theory. But it's a similar situation to JJ earlier in the season, about which people said AA was just being stubborn. JJ got it going, to an extent, but we still need another shooter.
Hard to argue with any theory since game after game he is out there. Makes wonder how consistent he hits in practice. Assuming he does, why hasn't it translated to the game at least a few times? Why not slide him to the 2 if you are trying to get his shots to start falling? He is just plays too small at the 3! I can go along with your theory if he can turn the corner. Hell at this point we are simply running out of players without Cuffee playing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom