Coach K Retiring | Syracusefan.com

Coach K Retiring

NC_Orange

Walk On
I have heard through a couple avenues that Duke’s Coach K will announce his retirement this summer. Not sure if it means that he is announcing a succession plan to step down in a couple of years or if this year will be his last though. Anyone else heard anything similar?

If the NCAA had any teeth we’d be arguing about whether or not K’s legacy would be tarnished if he retired before Duke’s sanctioned probationary period was up.

Last edited:
Coach K isn’t doing a spur of the moment thing like Roy. Expect it to be more planned and thought out

If I were Coach K, I would seriously consider retiring given the current state of college basketball. The changes that have occurred over the past decade has been incredible . . . and not in a good sense.

CBB today has all the mercantile feel of pro leagues in every sense with players jumping around, committing, decommitting, except for the lack of payment for the players. Oh for sure money is changing hands for the top tier kids, it just occurs under the table. It is unconscionable that the leagues, the schools, the coaches are making gazillions, and the kids get essentially squat. Until CBB has a coherent policy on splitting the huge pie of TV money with players, and firming up a transfer portal/protocol that doesn't wreak havoc every year . . . maybe offering higher pay as you go from frosh to soph to junior etc, AND offer a bonus if you stay with the same program . . . stability will probably not return to the game.

The whole system as it is now stands is just perverse.

Last edited:
I have heard through a couple avenues that Duke’s Coach K will announce his retirement this summer. Not sure if it means that he is announcing a succession plan to step down in a couple of years or if this year will be his last though. Anyone else heard anything similar?

JB is less than 100 wins behind K if he gets his 101 reinstated.

If Coach K goes and JB keeps coaching with the chance to catch him if he gets his wins reinstated, I have a hard time believing the NCAA will do it. Really think the only way coach gets his wins reinstated is if the number still falls below K's

Not going to lie... the same thought went through my mind as I was reading the OP...

If K retires this summer we have 10 more of JB.

“They're in the home stretch...It’s Hidden Stash closing the gap, blasts past the front runner and WOW, beats the K filly by 101 lengths! Who could have guessed?”

Last edited:
If I were Coach K, I would seriously consider retiring given the current state of college basketball. The changes that have occurred over the past decade has been incredible . . . and not in a good sense.

CBB today has all the mercantile feel of pro leagues in every sense with players jumping around, committing, decommitting, except for the lack of payment for the players. Oh for sure money is changing hands for the top tier kids, it just occurs under the table. It is unconscionable that the leagues, the schools, the coaches are making gazillions, and the kids get essentially squat. Until CBB has a coherent policy on splitting the huge pie of TV money with players, and firming up a transfer portal/protocol that doesn't wreak havoc every year . . . maybe offering higher pay as you go from frosh to soph to junior etc, AND offer a bonus if you stay with the same program . . . stability will probably not return to the game.

The huge pie of TV money currently is split over the whole athletic department. Are you advocating taking money from, say, travel by the field hockey team to give it to the basketball players, like John Thompson long argued?

The huge pie of TV money currently is split over the whole athletic department. Are you advocating taking money from, say, travel by the field hockey team to give it to the basketball players, like John Thompson long argued?

Maybe he thinks coaches shouldn’t be making multi millions to teach and coach a sport. Pretty sure you could drop their pay a tad bit and have plenty to give to the players.

For it to be fair, wouldn’t the NCAA have to pay the players?

Maybe he thinks coaches shouldn’t be making multi millions to teach and coach a sport. Pretty sure you could drop their pay a tad bit and have plenty to give to the players.
The salaries of the coaches making the big bucks in football and basketball are not coming from TV money. Just about all of the TV money is going to run the rest of the athletic department. Coaches' salaries primarily come from booster contributions. (Coaches at public schools usually get a small portion of the salary from the state, so the president can fire them if the AD won't. For Nick Saban, it's $100K of his $7 million) Would the coaches be willing to give up some money and give it to the players? Would the boosters maintain or increase their contributions if the players got money? I don't think anyone knows the answer, plus the NCAA would have to change the rules to allow the schools to make direct payments that don't involve NIL to the players. There are over 300 D-1 basketball teams. Are there over 150 willing to allow that to happen? I doubt it.

For it to be fair, wouldn’t the NCAA have to pay the players?
The NCAA won't pay FBS football players because NCAA HQ makes $0.00 each year from FBS football. The schools which make up the NCAA won't allow NCAA HQ to pay basketball players because the CBS TV contract money pays for the other sports at the schools and every dollar going to a basketball player is one less dollar paying for non-rev sports.

I would not blame him because this whole transfer portal in constant flux of rosters is just really gonna put so much stress on coaches and somebody his age, why would he want to go through that!!

I would not blame him because this whole transfer portal in constant flux of rosters is just really gonna put so much stress on coaches and somebody his age, why would he want to go through that!!
I think he's going to retire before 3 years go by.

My semi-sane scenario - He'll do it in a year that they play UNC in Durham for the last game of the year and he'll either announce his retirement after that game or after their last game in the NCAAs to avoid a "Farewell Tour".

I think he's going to retire before 3 years go by.

My semi-sane scenario - He'll do it in a year that they play UNC in Durham for the last game of the year and he'll either announce his retirement after that game or after their last game in the NCAAs to avoid a "Farewell Tour".
You don’t think K wants a farewell tour? Oh man I do

You don’t think K wants a farewell tour? Oh man I do
IDK. I think he just wants to get his team in the locker room for away games and that's it. I could picture him walking over to the P.A. mic at the end of that UNC game and making the announcement. I can also picture him doing it at the post-game presser in the NCAAs just before he walks out of the room.

IDK. I think he just wants to get his team in the locker room for away games and that's it. I could picture him walking over to the P.A. mic at the end of that UNC game and making the announcement. I can also picture him doing it at the post-game presser in the NCAAs just before he walks out of the room.
Seems like a kiss the ring type to me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom