Coach K Retiring | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Coach K Retiring

JB is going to end up being the last of a truly great generation of coaches. I know people hate K, and I get it, but it's a huge loss for college basketball. Coaches and their personalities are more important than ever given the revolving door of players.

JB is going to end up being the last of a truly great generation of coaches. I know people hate K, and I get it, but it's a huge loss for college basketball. Coaches and their personalities are more important than ever given the revolving door of players.
Ya, the Gen X generation of coaches aren't personalities. I dunno, but the coaches, for me are what makes games that much better and truly enhance the rivalries.

I don't know if I respect this, or if it makes me feel he's a coward.
It’s bs. He’s been all about NIL for years now and the transfer portal impacts his job as a coach as little as anyone else in the country with the way he constructs his rosters. If anything the portal would make his job easier.

I suppose there’s a ~chance~ those two things could have played ~some~ role in this decision but I find it more likely that Goodman is pushing a narrative for other people.

I always felt he loved college more, I would be stunned if he didn't take another run at some point.
I think he fits college better...I don't think he quite fits in the NBA, despite the success...

I think his success in the NBA was more due to the loaded rosters he was blessed with...he didn't really seem to know how to handle the whole kyrie thing and it just went downhill from there...injuries were a big part of it...but I wonder how much of their roster mismanagement was due to his feedback or due to ainge's vision...???

It's from our board, but I thought you folks might get a chuckle out of it, too.

download.jpg

What a weird headline. How much more does he need to accomplish? He's old. He had a top 10 team in 2020. In the last 6 tournaments he's had two Elite 8's and his 5th championship.

That's kind of the point. He was always going to milk the end to get the media to talk about him as much as possible.

Michael Gbinije can present Coach K a giant picture of JB and K shaking hands before a game (or after a Syracuse victory if you want to rub it in) with the border made out of old pieces of the Carrier Dome roof.

I also thought about one of JB's old plaid jackets but I'm sure those have all been thrown away or donated years ago.

I'll miss not having Coach K and Roy Williams around. I enjoyed beating them and the old BE coaches like Rollie, Big John, Lou Carnesecca etc. more than any other teams. It won't be the same anymore. Can Syracuse schedule a Pitino, Huggins or Jay Wright team please? Heck, lets beat Dixon for fun.

What a weird headline. How much more does he need to accomplish? He's old. He had a top 10 team in 2020. In the last 6 tournaments he's had two Elite 8's and his 5th championship.
I’m not sure how the headline and his accomplishments are related

I have heard through a couple avenues that Duke’s Coach K will announce his retirement this summer. Not sure if it means that he is announcing a succession plan to step down in a couple of years or if this year will be his last though. Anyone else heard anything similar?
Wow that is something I can't say I'm that surprised but it's still shocking to hear still shocking to hear.
Now I'm wondering if bayham is gonna stick around just to try to beat his win record lol

this is exactly my fear with SU's next HC.

Fan's aren't going to be happy with the outside candidates that would want the job either. Heck Indiana, UNC, and Duke all hired alums and their outside candidates were not great.

Fan's aren't going to be happy with the outside candidates that would want the job either. Heck Indiana, UNC, and Duke all hired alums and their outside candidates were not great.
What are you talking about. We have Greg Popovich and Brad Stevens co-coaching.

This is a giant of the game. The game will be diminished by him leaving. I would wish him Godspeed, would love a final SU victory in the last meeting between he and JB. Anything short of a raucous standing ovation, heartfelt congratulations on a great job and career, and a thank you for making us raise our game to compete against his teams and him would be a shame. I hope he has a long, happy and healthy retirement. He has earned my respect and I hope everyone else's as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom