CoachDMustStay.com... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

CoachDMustStay.com...

USF fans started a Fire Sterlin Gilbert drive back when I lived in Tampa for the same reasons.
Maybe he's made a change? Dunno. Dino has shifted. That we know.

His head coach flamed out at those jobs. I think he took the McNeese HC job to get on the track of being a head coach. He was 7-5 there in one year and if he gets a big year in year 2, he would get a G5 job, then P5 if he put together a solid team at say North Texas. I'm just saying if the Dino experiment doesn't work out, keep the OC, which if SU had done with one of the 3 previous OC's, I think we would all be happier right now.

Clockwork mentioned that Dino's one glaring weakness is his inability to change.

No. His one glaring weakness is much more high-level. Not, change, not decision-making, none of that. His one glaring weakness is results on the field going into this year.

4 losing seasons in 5 years, with this year to be determined. 13-31 in ACC games, where we have also been a perennial doormat/bottom dweller under him, 14-36 against P5 competition, including 3-18 vs P5 from 2019 until now.

Those are very damning numbers. It takes far more than an engaging personality and a couple of nifty, viral post-game speeches to earn the $15-$20M that SU has paid him during his tenure.

From time to time, someone will throw out the strawman "we can't expect to be like Alabama", as though ANYBODY ever says or expects that. What is and should be expected at the P5 level is results.

Like Mark, I have been off the Dino bandwagon for several weeks now and should have been off at the end of last year. I am willing to wait until the end of the year to judge him going forward but his record to this point as it pertains to what is required of a coach at his level is poor. I know that somebody will say that winning shouldn't be the measuring stick and will point to other things but the fact is that this is the P5. If a coach wants to be judged mainly on "the other things", let him go coach for a lot less money in the Missouri Valley conference or DII. To whom much is given, much is expected.

Agree with all of this, at the end of the day when it comes to Syracuse football, almost all fans have complained about every head coach with regard to recruiting, game/ clock management, play selection, scheme, assistants, all of it. It's all part of being a fan and I get it. None of that will be what gets Dino fired, it will be the wins versus the losses, that's it. I am a Dino guy and hate getting rid of another coach and starting over but another losing record and he should probably be removed. I am not sure 5-7 will actually get him fired but I certainly would not argue with anyone that he shouldn't be let go. It simply isn't good enough and 6 years is extreme patience in today's landscape. ( and I agree with the extreme patience when it comes to Syracuse) As I have said, almost everyone agreed with the extension and it has backfired completely and put the program in a very difficult position. We pushed the chips in and looks like we could be going bust. Again, I will wait for the next 6 games to play out because anything can happen. Until the season is over I will be hoping that Dino can do enough to save his job because it will mean that he has won some games that most don't think he is capable of

Maybe he's made a change? Dunno. Dino has shifted. That we know.
I'm just happy that we are playing competitive football games. Last 2 have made me absolutely miserable to blow at the end but it's kind of like what's going on at Nebraska. Losing games sucks, but being in them until late in the 4th is a huge step in the right direction. Next step is hopefully pushing some of them over the line and into the W column.

His head coach flamed out at those jobs. I think he took the McNeese HC job to get on the track of being a head coach. He was 7-5 there in one year and if he gets a big year in year 2, he would get a G5 job, then P5 if he put together a solid team at say North Texas. I'm just saying if the Dino experiment doesn't work out, keep the OC, which if SU had done with one of the 3 previous OC's, I think we would all be happier right now.
I heard a rumor he was a LOCK for the UMASS job . Taking them right to the Big10.

(Apologies. I couldn't help it. ;-) )

Their program looks real solid now.
Taggart built them into a top 25 program and then left for Oregon and Strong/Gilbert drove them into the toilet.

Taggart built them into a top 25 program and then left for Oregon and Strong/Gilbert drove them into the toilet.
Shrader would not be hear if Gilbert isn't the OC. IMO, ( To keep Alsacs off my back).

All sports are like that - any time some pitcher gives up a big hit they move on. The guys that don't and dwell on it tend to get ruined. Life in the windshield.

True but you often see players and coaches admit they should have done something different or not thrown that pitch etc etc. . Babers doubles down when questioned and continues to note that he understands clock management better then anyone because he coached under a guy 30 years ago.

I heard a rumor he was a LOCK for the UMASS job . Taking them right to the Big10.

(Apologies. I couldn't help it. ;-) )
UMASS crushed UCONN in the NotWurst bowl, so there's that.

Why? (I don't know the connection.)
Gilbert knows Leach, have to believe that came into play. Like Leach probably said Gilbert would run the kind of offense that he could do well in. IMO.

Shrader would not be hear if Gilbert isn't the OC. IMO, ( To keep Alsacs off my back).
I don't really get what the point you are trying to make is? If we didn't have Gilbert we wouldn't have a good running/bad passing QB? We're in the friggin' ACC for Christs sake. There's only 65 P5 starting QB jobs out there, if you can't locate someone to be a non-dumpster fire starter then you probably shouldn't have a job making 7 figures. If Gilbert finding us a QB that still has a lot of warts to overcome has now put him on a trajectory to become a P5 head coach in your mind, then yeeeeesh. Let's hear what the trajectory is for Nick Monroe in your mind. President of the US?

Why? (I don't know the connection.)
1343589915-102-Animal-House-quotes.gif

Cous is an entertainer. I respect his game.

Agree with all of this, at the end of the day when it comes to Syracuse football, almost all fans have complained about every head coach with regard to recruiting, game/ clock management, play selection, scheme, assistants, all of it. It's all part of being a fan and I get it. None of that will be what gets Dino fired, it will be the wins versus the losses, that's it. I am a Dino guy and hate getting rid of another coach and starting over but another losing record and he should probably be removed. I am not sure 5-7 will actually get him fired but I certainly would not argue with anyone that he shouldn't be let go. It simply isn't good enough and 6 years is extreme patience in today's landscape. ( and I agree with the extreme patience when it comes to Syracuse) As I have said, almost everyone agreed with the extension and it has backfired completely and put the program in a very difficult position. We pushed the chips in and looks like we could be going bust. Again, I will wait for the next 6 games to play out because anything can happen. Until the season is over I will be hoping that Dino can do enough to save his job because it will mean that he has won some games that most don't think he is capable of
Don't remember anyone complaining about recruiting during the 2nd half of Mac's/ first 2/3ish of P's time here. If they were, they were completely insane.

Gilbert knows Leach, have to believe that came into play. Like Leach probably said Gilbert would run the kind of offense that he could do well in. IMO.
Didn't Leach bench Shrader, and deem him a WR? I dont get it.

I don't really get what the point you are trying to make is? If we didn't have Gilbert we wouldn't have a good running/bad passing QB? We're in the friggin' ACC for Christs sake. There's only 65 P5 starting QB jobs out there, if you can't locate someone to be a non-dumpster fire starter then you probably shouldn't have a job making 7 figures. If Gilbert finding us a QB that still has a lot of warts to overcome has now put him on a trajectory to become a P5 head coach in your mind, then yeeeeesh. Let's hear what the trajectory is for Nick Monroe in your mind. President of the US?
He put an offense out there that can compete and win in the ACC, see Dungey as well. If Shrader wasn't here, 2-10. And exQB offensive coordinators are usually capable of managing the timeclock as that is what they do on every down.

I would have seriously considered it last year, but realistically if he doesn’t make a bowl game this year immediately after the last game this year.
I think this is probably the right answer… but I don’t think it’s as easy as many here are stating. The teams performance so far is not trending towards a firing, IMO.

True but you often see players and coaches admit they should have done something different or not thrown that pitch etc etc. . Babers doubles down when questioned and continues to note that he understands clock management better then anyone because he coached under a guy 30 years ago.

I just don't get the need to over-parse this stuff, life goes on...people are making the assumption that since a play didn't work doing the opposite of that would work. Which is illogical. If any coach is sitting there worried about last week's playcall he's doomed. The variables are always unique to that moment.

If there's a real problem I see is Smytz has taken a horrible regression. That's why I wanted to go for it on that 4th and 2 so much.

Don't remember anyone complaining about recruiting during the 2nd half of Mac's/ first 2/3ish of P's time here. If they were, they were completely insane.

OK Post McNabb, which is basically 25 years ago. don't remember anyone complaining about recruiting in 1959 either. Talking about since the program has been in decline over the modern era, which is now 25 years. That said, I am sure Joe from Mattydale was still not happy in 1995.

Also talking about since we have been posting here, the recruiting game isn't even close to being the same that it was 30 years ago

He put an offense out there that can compete and win in the ACC, see Dungey as well. If Shrader wasn't here, 2-10. And exQB offensive coordinators are usually capable of managing the timeclock as that is what they do on every down.
Oh, he has put an offense out that can win in the ACC? I guess if you just ignore the 1-11 ACC record thus far in his tenure than sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom