Coaching Candidates | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Coaching Candidates

Get the Marshall db coach. very good defense
In general I see Charles Huff on the shortlist for Cuse should they part ways with Dino in the future.

Does Ahmad want to coach? Curious if he's happy doing what he does but has a dream to coach on the field? Don't get me wrong, he's brilliant where he is but just wondering if he would be interested in going that direction?

What's the timeline to fill these vacancies? I'm not an expert on what the recruiting schedule looks like, but I'd imagine we might want to hire a couple of coaches before the next signing period? Or is this something we can wait on, and just need to fill before spring practice begins?

Per a CuseLegacy tweet Travis Greene is in South Florida recruiting. How would people feel if Lynch were moved to TE's and Travis Greene was promoted to Running Backs?

Greene is a South Florida native (Miami) and was a prolific running back (3,800 yards). He's been on staff as an analyst going on 5 years. I personally think this could be a great move.

Last edited:
Per a CuseLegacy tweet Travis Greene is in South Florida recruiting. How would people feel if Lynch were moved to TE's and Travis Greene was promoted to Running Backs?

Greene is a South Florida native (Miami) and was a prolific running back (3,800 yards). He's been on staff as an analyst going on 5 years. I'd personally think this could be a great move.
I think other staffers can go on the road since not all asst positions are filled. Khalil Ahmad is in NJ as well

Greene is a South Florida native (Miami) and was a prolific running back (3,800 yards). He's been on staff as an analyst going on 5 years. I'd personally think this could be a great move.

It really just depends on how well he can recruit. I would be fine with it.

Greene is a South Florida native (Miami) and was a prolific running back (3,800 yards). He's been on staff as an analyst going on 5 years. I personally think this could be a great move.
No. Lynch is the RB Coach. He brought in LeQuint. He coached Tucker.

No. Lynch is the RB Coach. He brought in LeQuint. He coached Tucker.

He could be re-assigned. I mean he's also been the OC and OL coach here. He's also coached Tight Ends at Montana, Utah State and Eastern Illinois.

Last edited:

Fine with this so long as we hire a recruiter with the cash freed up from Monroe etc.

The players love Lynch and if Greene can recruit then great. We need to hire a proven commodity though.

Fine with this so long as we hire a recruiter with the cash freed up from Monroe etc.

The players love Lynch and if Greene can recruit then great. We need to hire a proven commodity though.

Don't expect to find a power recruiter who's also a TE coach. Of the top 200 recruiters, as per 247, only 6 of them were TE coaches. 16 of them were running back coaches. IMHO, TE coaches are way down the list of importance anyways.

We don't know if Greene can recruit or not, but he does check a lot of boxes of who can potentially be a good recruiter (Young, from Miami, played the position at high level). Of all the analysts on staff to, Babers tagged him with off-campus recruiting until coaches are hired. So he sees something.

This is approximate (per 247) cause some guys were listed as run game coordinator or pass game etc etc with no position given, and every coach coaches a position.

Top Recruiting Coaches:

Wide Receivers - 26
Defensive Line - 18
Running Backs - 16
Cornerbacks - 15
Linebacker - 15
Defensive Coordinator - 11 (Tony White listed here)
Offensive Coordinator - 9
Head Coach - 7
Safety - 7
Tight End - 6
Quarterback - 5
Secondary Coach - 4 (Nick Monroe listed here)
Special Teams - 4
Defensive End - 3
Associate Head Coach - 3
Run Game Coordinator - 3
Pass Game Coordinator - 2
Co-Defensive Coordinator - 2
Director of Player Personnel - 2 (this was actually listed for a ranked staff member)
Recruiting Coordinator - 1

*We lost our only 2 coaches listed in the top 200 recruiters

Last edited:
Recruiting is about relationship building, not only with the 16-18 year olds but also with the coaches & mentors who are a part of their lives.

My biggest concern in utilizing an important recruiting position on staff with a new person is the second piece. Their connections will be limited and could inhibit our ability to get an "in" or find out first about an under the radar type.

I understand people need to be given chances but I wouldn't want to take a chance at this level with a brand new coach to Division I. That's just me.

A lot of schools hire a top in state high school coach to their staff. Usually has lots of connections and players ready to follow him. Knows the area and state. It didn’t work out well for Kirk Martin but he was a Texas guy.

Maybe we go with one of the Campanile brothers. Vito or Nunzio.

We can also break glass in case of emergency and hire Ed Orgeron.

Last edited:
Don't expect to find a power recruiter who's also a TE coach. Of the top 200 recruiters, as per 247, only 6 of them were TE coaches. 16 of them were running back coaches. IMHO, TE coaches are way down the list of importance anyways.

We don't know if Greene can recruit or not, but he does check a lot of boxes of who can potentially be a good recruiter (Young, from Miami, played the position at high level). Of all the analysts on staff to, Babers tagged him with off-campus recruiting until coaches are hired. So he sees something.

This is approximate (per 247) cause some guys were listed as run game coordinator or pass game etc etc with no position given, and every coach coaches a position.

Top Recruiting Coaches:

Wide Receivers - 26
Defensive Line - 18
Running Backs - 16
Cornerbacks - 15
Linebacker - 15
Defensive Coordinator - 11 (Tony White listed here)
Offensive Coordinator - 9
Head Coach - 7
Safety - 7
Tight End - 6
Quarterback - 5
Secondary Coach - 4 (Nick Monroe listed here)
Special Teams - 4
Defensive End - 3
Associate Head Coach - 3
Run Game Coordinator - 3
Pass Game Coordinator - 2
Co-Defensive Coordinator - 2
Director of Player Personnel - 2 (this was actually listed for a ranked staff member)
Recruiting Coordinator - 1

*We lost our only 2 coaches listed in the top 200 recruiters
A couple of things...

Coach Anae coached the TEs and the interior WRs. Those are the positions without coaches now. So if we elect to cover the positions the way Anae/Beck have done so in the past, the new coach will do interior WRs and TEs. Someone who has been a WR coach is just as well qualified, and given there are more interior WRs than TEs, probably better qualified to fill the vacancy.

Regarding your suggestion to hire Greene as a full time coach and make him the RB coach. I am against this.

We are getting our butts headed to us by the other schools in the ACC regarding recruiting. And that was with our two best recruiters still on staff. Not excited about filling one of those positions with a novice who has never recruited before.

IMHO, we need someone who is proven, someone who has contacts and a network in place, in at least one region we prioritize for recruiting, who can hit the ground running and enjoy immediate success. Preferably a coach who has coached for a staff that prioritizes recruiting and handles it in a much more progressive and start of the art way than we are using today.

The same applies on the defensive side of the ball. These are absolutely crucial hires and we need to hit home runs if we want to not only retain where we are today with recruiting but to make a substantial step forward.

A lot of schools hire a top in state high school coach to their staff. Usually has lots of connections and players ready to follow him. Knows the area and state. It didn’t work out well for Kirk Martin but he was a Texas guy.

Maybe we go with one of the Campanile brothers. Vito or Nunzio.

We can also break glass in case of emergency and hire Ed Orgeron.

Don't think you will see Eddie O much further North than Louisiana anytime soon. He has way too much money these days. I could see him taking an DL spot for some factory for the last few years of his career that would be it. Think he got what 17 mil to leave LSU a year ago on top of the 12-15 he made when he was there

A couple of things...

Coach Anae coached the TEs and the interior WRs. Those are the positions without coaches now. So if we elect to cover the positions the way Anae/Beck have done so in the past, the new coach will do interior WRs and TEs. Someone who has been a WR coach is just as well qualified, and given there are more interior WRs than TEs, probably better qualified to fill the vacancy.

Regarding your suggestion to hire Greene as a full time coach and make him the RB coach. I am against this.

We are getting our butts headed to us by the other schools in the ACC regarding recruiting. And that was with our two best recruiters still on staff. Not excited about filling one of those positions with a novice who has never recruited before.

IMHO, we need someone who is proven, someone who has contacts and a network in place, in at least one region we prioritize for recruiting, who can hit the ground running and enjoy immediate success. Preferably a coach who has coached for a staff that prioritizes recruiting and handles it in a much more progressive and start of the art way than we are using today.

The same applies on the defensive side of the ball. These are absolutely crucial hires and we need to hit home runs if we want to not only retain where we are today with recruiting but to make a substantial step forward.

They need a guy that can recruit NJ/ downstate NY and one that can replace Monroe in Florida IMO. And it's not easy to recruit for Syracuse so they better be pretty damn good.

They need a guy that can recruit NJ/ downstate NY and one that can replace Monroe in Florida IMO. And it's not easy to recruit for Syracuse so they better be pretty damn good.
Agreed. This is a big moment for the program. Hiring really good recruiters is expensive and difficult. It is a big ask.

We have rarely even tried and when we have, it usually ends up being a short lived failed experiment.

Fingers crossed it works this time.

A couple of things...

My problem with this is while we know what we need, (we need someone who is proven, someone who has contacts and a network in place,) we've said this the last handful of hires, Babers has always underwhelmed here. IMO, Babers sees this as secondary to the job. So I'm not expecting much.

The closest Babers has ever come to hiring a power recruiter was Chris Beatty (WR coach) who quit after a month and went to Maryland where he killed it. He's now in the pro's.

If Babers hires a WR coach and assigns him IWR and TE's then maybe he can find this guy. Otherwise, you're looking to reshuffle the deck. In that case, the best option is to reassign Lynch and go find a stud recruiter who's also a RB coach. (Like Stan Drayton once was.)

It's also going to be hard for Babers to find a proven commodity when he's basically under a 1 year contract at this point.

Defensively I assume things stay status quo and Rocky takes linebackers and Babers hires a secondary/safety coach. This is obviously another opportunity to hire a power recruiter as well.

Bringing in anyone west of the Mississippi does us no good unless it's a coach with instant clout.

*as an edit, I think it's kind of hokey to have an inside WR guy also coaching TE's. I view inside receivers as slot guys and see the position as being completely different than TE's. But I also recognize things are little unconvential and we have Gadsden listed as a TE even though I see him as a slot (but in today's verbiage could be called a 'hybird.' I'm not familiar with too many other schools that have insider WR and outside WRs coaches. I recognize the position separation exists just not the coaching. Seems redundant.

Last edited:
My problem with this is while we know what we need, (we need someone who is proven, someone who has contacts and a network in place,) we've said this the last handful of hires, Babers has always underwhelmed here. IMO, Babers sees this as secondary to the job. So I'm not expecting much.

The closest Babers has ever come to hiring a power recruiter was Chris Beatty (WR coach) who quit after a month and went to Maryland where he killed it. He's now in the pro's.

If Babers hires a WR coach and assigns him IWR and TE's then maybe he can find this guy. Otherwise, you're looking to reshuffle the deck. In that case, the best option is to reassign Lynch and go find a stud recruiter who's also a RB coach. (Like Stan Drayton once was.)

It's also going to be hard for Babers to find a proven commodity when he's basically under a 1 year contract at this point.

Defensively I assume things stay status quo and Rocky takes linebackers and Babers hires a secondary/safety coach. This is obviously another opportunity to hire a power recruiter as well.

Bringing in anyone west of the Mississippi does us no good unless it's a coach with instant clout.

*as an edit, I think it's kind of hokey to have an inside WR guy also coaching TE's. I view inside receivers as slot guys and see the position as being completely different than TE's. But I also recognize things are little unconvential and we have Gadsden listed as a TE even though I see him as a slot (but in today's verbiage could be called a 'hybird.' I'm not familiar with too many other schools that have insider WR and outside WRs coaches. I recognize the position separation exists just not the coaching. Seems redundant.
You make good points.

However, I am not advocating or expecting us to someone like Fran Brown, a guy at or near the top of the list of great recruiting assistant coaches.

There is a pecking order for assistant coaches. There is a bell curve.

We can't get the elite guys. I agree with you on this. But there are guys out there who have years of experience recruiting at this level, who have reputations as solid recruiters, and have an established set of contacts in a key recruiting area for us. These are guys that are somewhere between the elite recruiters and average recruiters. That is the kind of coach I want to hire.

Thinking along the lines of Chip West, who has long had a reputation as a good, even very good recruiter. Someone like that, except with a background in NJ or Florida. Hopefully one of each.

IMHO, hiring a neophyte with no experience recruiting whatsoever is not something we can afford to do now. We can and need to do better than that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom