Coaching Candidates | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Coaching Candidates

Steve Gregory fired by the Dolphins, along with their DC and other defensive coaches. I wonder if Steve would want to come back to the college ranks.

I agree with another poster. SU is better suited getting good coaches that can coach and evaluate versus a good high school recruiter. With the portal that would be the better option. High ranked kids are not coming our way especially with the ridiculous amount of money being offered them for a possible one year deal. Focus the effort and nil money on current players and the portal. Look for high school players with upside that can develop. 1/3 high school. The rest portal and couple juco.

Steve Gregory fired by the Dolphins, along with their DC and other defensive coaches. I wonder if Steve would want to come back to the college ranks.
From Long Island, if I recall. Very friendly guy. Under-recruited and made it to the NFL for a long career by choosing SU. Could be a homerun. I will reach out to one of his good friends to see if there is interest. Let you know if I hear back.

From Long Island, if I recall. Very friendly guy. Under-recruited and made it to the NFL for a long career by choosing SU. Could be a homerun. I will reach out to one of his good friends to see if there is interest. Let you know if I hear back.
He also scored a TD on the infamous “Butt Fumble.”

I suppose an SU grad with NFL playing and coaching experience carries weight too.

There’s a lot of guys like that coaching. Takes more than coaching experience and NFL playing time to be a great recruiter. There’s a ton of great recruiters with no NFL experience.

Staten Island

I believe Dino stated at the end of the season he didn’t foresee any staff changes. He’s either not being upfront or he’s clueless with regards to his staff.
Yeah because the HC is going to tell the press and fans before he even sits down with the AD and his staff. HoW dARe DiNo NoT tElL uS fAnS hIs pLaNs FiRsT!!! ItS aN oUtRaGe I tElL yA!! An OuTrAgE!!

Right on S.I. I was told it would be a family decision, if it even came to an offer. My friend hasn’t talked to Steve in a while. (They were teammates at SU)

Yeah because the HC is going to tell the press and fans before he even sits down with the AD and his staff. HoW dARe DiNo NoT tElL uS fAnS hIs pLaNs FiRsT!!! ItS aN oUtRaGe I tElL yA!! An OuTrAgE!!
You’re clueless if you don’t think Wildhack knows exactly what’s going on with the football coaching staff. Every coach that left said they appreciated how involved Wildhack is with the football program. Don’t kid yourself if you don’t think Wildhack doesn’t know exactly what’s going on.

You’re clueless if you don’t think Wildhack knows exactly what’s going on with the football coaching staff. Every coach that left said they appreciated how involved Wildhack is with the football program. Don’t kid yourself if you don’t think Wildhack doesn’t know exactly what’s going on.

did wildhack know at that time that Monroe was going to be offered the job at Minnesota? Maybe I really am clueless.

Ahh but hoops you specifically were not talking about Wildhack in your comment but only Dino. You were very specifically talking about Dino and I responded to your comment on Dino. So if you’re going to start calling people clueless, which you called both Dino and I (I am in good company there, thank you) maybe you should at least make sure you are clear on what you are saying.

873CED5D-C9A5-4EBA-ACCA-D86064C3948A.gif

Ahh but hoops you specifically were not talking about Wildhack in your comment but only Dino. You were very specifically talking about Dino and I responded to your comment on Dino. So if you’re going to start calling people clueless, which you called both Dino and I (I am in good company there, thank you) maybe you should at least make sure you are clear on what you are saying.

View attachment 224283
You brought up that Dino needed to tell the AD, not me. Wildhack already knew.

He knows what's going on enough to seemingly hold tight on the extension. Or at a minimum hold tight on his offer to extend. My sense is if John extends Dino it will be on his terms

Right on S.I. I was told it would be a family decision, if it even came to an offer. My friend hasn’t talked to Steve in a while. (They were teammates at SU)
my brother just had a conversation with him like 2 weeks ago out a restaurant. he was real nice. didnt sound at that time he had any clue this was coming.

You brought up that Dino needed to tell the AD, not me. Wildhack already knew.
hoops I responded specifically to your comment on Dino. I brought up the AD because before Dino could tell you and the media “his plan”, he needed to sit down with his boss first and his staff and team second. Pretty straightforward. I am not sure how there can be an argument about that.
That said, Dino did need to have his debrief with ADJW. ADJW likely spoke to Dino about goals met, not met and got Dino’s thoughts on the season, the staff, the team, expectations for next season, etc…..I highly doubt at that time it was known Nick was gone. It’s possible ADJW knew and Dino knew that Rocky MAY want to bring in at least one guy he wants. Discussion probably touched on candidates for TE and slot.

I actually think high school recruiting is going to be less important. We need guys who can pore over film of guys in the portal and recruit more that way. The portal of good, disgruntled players at other programs could be a great equalizer for us.
That’s why I think a young up and coming coach from FCS would be good. He knows underrated players that can play in the ACC, maybe?

There’s a lot of guys like that coaching. Takes more than coaching experience and NFL playing time to be a great recruiter. There’s a ton of great recruiters with no NFL experience.
All true as well.

People keep speaking to our recruiting but honestly I think things have actually been changing for the better. The lens I am looking through includes portal as well when discussing recruiting. I mean GS was a 4 star, CDRW was a 4 star. Gould was a 4 star as was Bellamy I believe. The Juco center we just picked up was 1st team Juco. Rashard "the brick schithouse " Perry from Buffalo is an absolute wrecking ball and should be a player of the year for NY. We have talented RBs. We are putting Corners and Safeties in the NFL and we have 2 LBs who are likely going pro as well in Wax and Thompson. I don't think I am looking at these guys through orange colored glasses, I think our talent has been creeping steadily higher. I think the one area it hasn't and for the life of me I can't figure that out at all is WR. Gadsden is obviously awesome but we should have more studs there.

I would love to have a beer with Wildhack and just hear what he has to say about the comings and goings happening with the football team this offseason and in a broader context around the conferences.

I would love to have a beer with Wildhack and just hear what he has to say about the comings and goings happening with the football team this offseason and in a broader context around the conferences.

Beer and few shots, think John would need them!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom