Coaching Candidates | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Coaching Candidates

Don't think you will see Eddie O much further North than Louisiana anytime soon. He has way too much money these days. I could see him taking an DL spot for some factory for the last few years of his career that would be it. Think he got what 17 mil to leave LSU a year ago on top of the 12-15 he made when he was there

Eddie O is rocking (for a middle aged man) his Tommy Bahama sitting on a boat somewhere. Dude won his game of life.

They need a guy that can recruit NJ/ downstate NY and one that can replace Monroe in Florida IMO. And it's not easy to recruit for Syracuse so they better be pretty damn good.
Its going to be hard with Dino a lame duck.

With all the money at these B1G and SEC schools, the instability of the PAC and the Big 12, what coach isn't a "lame duck" these days? In a weird way, Syracuse seems to be a pretty stable job.

With all the money at these B1G and SEC schools, the instability of the PAC and the Big 12, what coach isn't a "lame duck" these days? In a weird way, Syracuse seems to be a pretty stable job.
Any coach with only 1 year remaining on their contract is considered a lame duck.

Marques Hagans from Virginia (whoops) is listed as associative head coach and wide receiver coach at both Virginia and SU. It shows it under Tom’s daily updates.

Last edited:

So you know Dino is going to be fired next season?

Agree with this but multiple reports indicate Dino has 2 years left on his contract.
For me, 2023 Season ends with Dino getting a 2-3 yr extension (with less friendly buyout terms than 2019) or he gets fired. It's too early to call him a lame duck. But next year is the extension or termination season IMO.

Agree with this but multiple reports indicate Dino has 2 years left on his contract.

Based on the buyout amount that Thamel mentioned, this would seem to be true.

And we're a private school who publishes nothing, so we can tell recruits anything we want.

Regardless, at this point in the college football life cycle, the way players can move so freely and the way coaches already do, I bet this lame duck stuff is overrated.

Based on the buyout amount that Thamel mentioned, this would seem to be true.

And we're a private school who publishes nothing, so we can tell recruits anything we want.

Regardless, at this point in the college football life cycle, the way players can move so freely and the way coaches already do, I bet this lame duck stuff is overrated.
Agree. Plus, it's hard to argue against stability when Dino has perhaps the longest leash of any P5 coach. Revisit all the coaches who got hired in same class as him. Even Garrett William's dad pointed out of all the coaches who recruited his son, only one lasted the entire time he was in school.

Syracuse = stability for recruits. I get why an assistant coach may think differently but give him a two year deal and a little extra money.

Agree. Plus, it's hard to argue against stability when Dino has perhaps the longest leash of any P5 coach. Revisit all the coaches who got hired in same class as him. Even Garrett William's dad pointed out of all the coaches who recruited his son, only one lasted the entire time he was in school.

Syracuse = stability for recruits. I get why an assistant coach may think differently but give him a two year deal and a little extra money.
If Dino gets an extension I would love to see him take say 500k less per season and kick that into his assistant pool or hire more staffers.

So you know Dino is going to be fired next season?

Curious what you think. Coaches move around the country all the time. But (in my opinion) coaches are less likely to move to a school with an unstable coach when making lateral moves. Dino has 2 coaching years left on his contract. I dont want to speak for you, but if I think we can agree, that second year can be thrown away. I say that because no coach is ever left to coach their final season. It is terrible to recruit players, recruit coaches. No one will commit to a coach with 1 season left on his contract. That would be program sucide. Therefore, imo Babers is either fired after this year (if we dont make a bowl game) or he is signed to a contract extension. The extension would most likely have a much smaller buyout because Babers has less leverage due to the lack of consistence success. You sign big contracts with Big buyouts when you are popular and other teams want you, and you sign smaller contracts with small buyouts when the program isn’t sure what to do with you. Therefore, any coach coming to join Syracuse would have to look at Dino and the reality that he either has 1 year or 3 or more years left at Syracuse. 2 years may be what he has left on his contract, but is not what the reality of the past has shown us.

That is quite a gamble for any coach to take if they are in a comfortable situation at their current program. It would be difficult because there were rumors about him this year being fired if we didn’t make a bowl. Then he comes out and fires off 6 straight wins, to then only lose 6 straight games and being mentioned as on the hot seat again. Many assistants can look at Syracuse and agree, that if we have another down year and do not make a bowl game, Babers would most likely be fired with a year to go on his contract. Therefore, they are guaranteed at minimum one year of coaching. And if that year goes well, then Dino is most likely extended because coache’s are never on 1 year contracts.

I think because of this, it will be a very difficult task to get above average coaches to finish off our staff. That is probably part of what chip West is looking for. Some guarantees and some money to stay. WF and Clawson are extremely comfortable due to the success they have had their.

Curious what you think. Coaches move around the country all the time. But (in my opinion) coaches are less likely to move to a school with an unstable coach when making lateral moves. Dino has 2 coaching years left on his contract. I dont want to speak for you, but if I think we can agree, that second year can be thrown away. I say that because no coach is ever left to coach their final season. It is terrible to recruit players, recruit coaches. No one will commit to a coach with 1 season left on his contract. That would be program sucide. Therefore, imo Babers is either fired after this year (if we dont make a bowl game) or he is signed to a contract extension. The extension would most likely have a much smaller buyout because Babers has less leverage due to the lack of consistence success. You sign big contracts with Big buyouts when you are popular and other teams want you, and you sign smaller contracts with small buyouts when the program isn’t sure what to do with you. Therefore, any coach coming to join Syracuse would have to look at Dino and the reality that he either has 1 year or 3 or more years left at Syracuse. 2 years may be what he has left on his contract, but is not what the reality of the past has shown us.

That is quite a gamble for any coach to take if they are in a comfortable situation at their current program. It would be difficult because there were rumors about him this year being fired if we didn’t make a bowl. Then he comes out and fires off 6 straight wins, to then only lose 6 straight games and being mentioned as on the hot seat again. Many assistants can look at Syracuse and agree, that if we have another down year and do not make a bowl game, Babers would most likely be fired with a year to go on his contract. Therefore, they are guaranteed at minimum one year of coaching. And if that year goes well, then Dino is most likely extended because coache’s are never on 1 year contracts.

I think because of this, it will be a very difficult task to get above average coaches to finish off our staff. That is probably part of what chip West is looking for. Some guarantees and some money to stay. WF and Clawson are extremely comfortable due to the success they have had their.

I think I agree with you. No Bowl next year, he’ll be let go. Make a bowl he’ll get an extension. 3 years is my guess.

If Dino gets an extension I would love to see him take say 500k less per season and kick that into his assistant pool or hire more staffers.
Is that why SU can’t come up with another $500k?

I think I agree with you. No Bowl next year, he’ll be let go. Make a bowl he’ll get an extension. 3 years is my guess.
that hurt you to say, I know ;);)

I wish they would hire coaches from FCS schools that are up and coming. SU is always going to have to rely on the diamonds in the rough, recruiting and coaching. People wonder about Weitsman and his million dollar NIL, kid from Florida wants 13 million lol. SU will always be the underdog/stepping stone, just have to gamble on unproven/underrated players and coaches

I wish they would hire coaches from FCS schools that are up and coming. SU is always going to have to rely on the diamonds in the rough, recruiting and coaching. People wonder about Weitsman and his million dollar NIL, kid from Florida wants 13 million lol. SU will always be the underdog/stepping stone, just have to gamble on unproven/underrated players and coaches

I like this line of thinking but hires should have a proven book of business in recruiting areas where syracuse can be successful. (Northeast in particular) It's not rocket science. A guy like Anselmo under Marrone was cruising around downstate NY talking to people he has known for 30 years, If you hire a younger guy he better be able to hit the ground running. Anselmo also had the JUCO background which was an asset. There is no time for establishing new relationships for the new hires as their primary focus on recruiting. Don't get me wrong a proven FCS guy may have great contacts they he can call on, they are now just recruiting up the chain on the talent spectrum. Where you run into the issue is where HS coaches want Syracuse to take too many flyers on kids that are borderline P5 talent. You can take a few flyers but not too many. Guys that can recruit the portal would be preferred, somewhat of a new talent or area of focus that is much needed.

I actually think high school recruiting is going to be less important. We need guys who can pore over film of guys in the portal and recruit more that way. The portal of good, disgruntled players at other programs could be a great equalizer for us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom