Coaching Carousel 2018 sponsored by Chris Ash | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Coaching Carousel 2018 sponsored by Chris Ash

Chris Kleiman goes to Kansas State, replacing Snyder

Wow, just read an article this morning where he says he's not discussing openings, just the remainder of the playoffs. KState must have pressured him.

He’s finally getting his chance after winning 4 National Championships at the Lower level

They say to never follow a legend, let’s see how this works out for K-State

I think it's a great hire. Getting players to come to Manhattan, KS is as difficult as getting players to come to North Dakota. Not to mention that it'll still be the same recruiting area. Don't think they could have made a wiser choice.

I think it's a great hire. Getting players to come to Manhattan, KS is as difficult as getting players to come to North Dakota. Not to mention that it'll still be the same recruiting area. Don't think they could have made a wiser choice.

but the vast majority of NDSU players come from ND, Minn and Wisc, so they are used to the cold/environment and many probably don't get a hard look by D1 schools. Kansas, however, is trying to pull kids from Texas, Oklahoma and look more nationally. Going to Manhattan can be quite a change in environment for many of those kids. I think it will be harder for Kleiman.

but the vast majority of NDSU players come from ND, Minn and Wisc, so they are used to the cold/environment and many probably don't get a hard look by D1 schools. Kansas, however, is trying to pull kids from Texas, Oklahoma and look more nationally. Going to Manhattan can be quite a change in environment for many of those kids. I think it will be harder for Kleiman.

Recruiting territorial priorities can change w/ a change in the coaching staff. And it's pretty much a cold weather climate for most of the football season. Not to mention, KState has always done well with JUCO's. I think that JUCO's would love to be coached by someone who has helped 'small school' players make it to the pros.

It's not so much about recruiting ND, Minn, and Wisc as much as making 17 year olds want to commit to an undesirable location. That's a culture thing more than a destination thing. The other key thing is NDSU's ability to find and develop under-the-radar guys. Obviously, it's harder to find diamonds in the rough that can play at a P5 level, but K-State has a tradition of putting walkons in the NFL. He seems like the right guy to continue that.

Agreed it will be tough to get kids to come there but I'm sure Snyder is offering any advice the coach wants. Plus he may be able to keep a couple of Snyder recruiters if the school allows him to get established.

It's not so much about recruiting ND, Minn, and Wisc as much as making 17 year olds want to commit to an undesirable location. That's a culture thing more than a destination thing. The other key thing is NDSU's ability to find and develop under-the-radar guys. Obviously, it's harder to find diamonds in the rough that can play at a P5 level, but K-State has a tradition of putting walkons in the NFL. He seems like the right guy to continue that.

that's my point, you don't have to sell the culture thing to NDSU players, they are fully aware of the culture and environment. The way KState recruits (more nationally) it could be more of a culture shock.

that's my point, you don't have to sell the culture thing to NDSU players, they are fully aware of the culture and environment. The way KState recruits (more nationally) it could be more of a culture shock.
NDSU had to build and maintain a culture, just as Dino is doing in Syracuse. NDSU's culture is obviously really, really strong to survive a coaching change and keep developing talent the way they do. If it can happen in Fargo, it can happen in Manhattan, KS.

NDSU had to build and maintain a culture, just as Dino is doing in Syracuse. NDSU's culture is obviously really, really strong to survive a coaching change and keep developing talent the way they do. If it can happen in Fargo, it can happen in Manhattan, KS.

Yeah, sure, but it can happen anywhere, really. I just think it might be harder at KState compared to NDSU. We shall see.

Yeah, sure, but it can happen anywhere, really. I just think it might be harder at KState compared to NDSU. We shall see.
I think everything is harder to do in Fargo.

I think everything is harder to do in Fargo.

Well, not EVERYTHING. Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Cole Porter:

"According to the Kinsey Report, every average man you know
much prefers to play his favorite sport when the temperature is low..."

Well, not EVERYTHING. Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Cole Porter:

"According to the Kinsey Report, every average man you know
much prefers to play his favorite sport when the temperature is low..."
'Cause It's Too Darn Hot

How does Miami get any players? ;)

I tend to agree. I think he will be a good fit at Kansas State. I have a better feeling about this than I did about Ron Prince at least. Looking at the roster, NDSU does have a few players from Missouri and Kansas. Looks like they have a bit of Florida pipeline also. They don't have any Texas players so that will be important to find someone to make some inroads there. Will be interesting to see if they can get Minnesota players to head down to Kansas. That was a huge state for them. It's not that bad of a drive depending where in Minnesota.

Kansas State got most of their players from the Central/Midwest area. JUCOs in KS will be big for the new staff to make traction in also.

Wow, just read an article this morning where he says he's not discussing openings, just the remainder of the playoffs. KState must have pressured him.
Supposedly Seth Littrell backed away from the K-St job because the school wanted him to keep several of Snyder's assistants. Klieman may have agreed to keep half or more of the Snyder staff for at least 1 season, which means he has no pressing need to hire a new staff and get to recruiting.

if you were a former FBS football player why wouldnt you pursue coaching? The money they throw around is silly, and if you fail, no big deal, you can get picked up somewhere else in no time with a quick phone call. I mean position coaches in P5 make min 6 figures? Its a no brainer.

if you were a former FBS football player why wouldnt you pursue coaching? The money they throw around is silly, and if you fail, no big deal, you can get picked up somewhere else in no time with a quick phone call. I mean position coaches in P5 make min 6 figures? Its a no brainer.

I imagine it’s a tough life on families. Especially kids.

There's a lot of coaches out there and very few on P5 staffs. Its no money, a lot of hours and a lot of moving to rise through the ranks as a GA, other support staff, position coach etc at no so glamorous places for a long time to maybe get there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom