Coaching Carousel | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Coaching Carousel

CuseOnly said:
$5 mil when our direct competition is spending hundreds of millions.

It's not a comparison. You said SU didn't keep facility promises. What promises then?

They know they have good coaches which makes all the difference in the world. Fighting to keep them. I'm sure their fans aren't bitching about talent right now.
These coaches are only winning because the cupboard wasn't bare!

It's not a comparison. You said SU didn't keep facility promises. What promises then?

You are right, every promise was kept with regard to facilities and assistant coach salaries. I stand corrected.

I just simply don't believe that he left because he didn't like to recruit as some would have you believe or that he wanted to be a HC in the NFL (which I know he did). As time has proven he may have gotten what he wished for (NFL HC) and it wasn't exactly as he had envisioned it. So now he is no longer a HC in the NFL.

Would take the guy back in a heartbeat.

Petrino is a lying adulterer scumbag and Louisville sucked it up and hired him back b/c he can coach. Marrone ruffled feathers of a few folks and they can't suck it up and hire the guy back if he was interested.

EDIT: Sorry Bees - Just so upset with this program for a myriad of reasons and venting. Program is a walking calamity right now and I don't see it changing anytime soon. It seems all the smart folks up there don't have their heads screwed on straight.

Last edited:
CuseOnly said:
You are right, every promise was kept with regard to facilities and assistant coach salaries. I stand corrected. I just simply don't believe that he left because he didn't like to recruit as some would have you believe or that he wanted to be a HC in the NFL (which I know he did). As time has proven he may have gotten what he wished for (NFL HC) and it wasn't exactly as he had envisioned it. So now he is no longer a HC in the NFL. Would take the guy back in a heartbeat. Petrino is a lying adulterer scumbag and Louisville sucked it up and hired him back b/c he can coach. Marrone ruffled feathers of a few folks and they can't suck it up and hire the guy back if he was interested. EDIT: Sorry Bees - Just so upset with this program for a myriad of reasons and venting. Program is a walking calamity right now and I don't see it changing anytime soon. It seems all the smart folks up there don't have their heads screwed on straight.

It's all good.

I'd welcome dougy back with open arms

Me too.

I was told as a young salesperson trying to survive in business... "Never let pride get in the way of your wallet, if you need help to close, ask for it, you will still get paid and you might learn something too." In other words, don't let someone walk that someone else might be able to close, I have never forgotten it in 26 years.

Some folks at SU should swallow their pride and put the feelers out to hire Doug back. He is pretty much the only somewhat proven person that was able to clearly move the ball forward here.

Not gonna happen though, sad.

You are right, every promise was kept with regard to facilities and assistant coach salaries. I stand corrected.

I just simply don't believe that he left because he didn't like to recruit as some would have you believe or that he wanted to be a HC in the NFL (which I know he did). As time has proven he may have gotten what he wished for (NFL HC) and it wasn't exactly as he had envisioned it. So now he is no longer a HC in the NFL.

Would take the guy back in a heartbeat.

Petrino is a lying adulterer scumbag and Louisville sucked it up and hired him back b/c he can coach. Marrone ruffled feathers of a few folks and they can't suck it up and hire the guy back if he was interested.

EDIT: Sorry Bees - Just so upset with this program for a myriad of reasons and venting. Program is a walking calamity right now and I don't see it changing anytime soon. It seems all the smart folks up there don't have their heads screwed on straight.
Great post!

Me too.

I was told as a young salesperson trying to survive in business... "Never let pride get in the way of your wallet, if you need help to close, ask for it, you will still get paid and you might learn something too." In other words, don't let someone walk that someone else might be able to close, I have never forgotten it in 26 years.

Some folks at SU should swallow their pride and put the feelers out to hire Doug back. He is pretty much the only somewhat proven person that was able to clearly move the ball forward here.

Not gonna happen though, sad.
Marrone isn't that great. Maybe if he wasn't such a headcase he would be but he is a headcase.

I appreciate what he did while he was here but we can do better.

Marrone isn't that great. Maybe if he wasn't such a headcase he would be but he is a headcase.

I appreciate what he did while he was here but we can do better.

We can? All getting a new coach is for this program is rolling the dice and praying the new guy can dig us out of the abyss. Not a certainty...I know for a fact that Marrone did it once.

Last edited:
Well I hope you are right about identifying the next coach. There seem to be a lot of jobs out there, may not be the easiest year to get a new coach.
If this is going to happen, do it NOW and announce a new HC ASAP so the new guy can try to save the recruiting class. NSD is just around the corner.

Will be interesting to see how Temple whacking Memphis and Houston losing affects the carousel

CuseOnly said:
We can? All getting a new coach is for this program is rolling the dice and praying the new guy can dig us out of the abyss. Not a certainty...I know for a fact that Marrone did it once.

Devil you know is still a devil

Can I just ask why a few folks are so sure that SU will not spend the requisite money to hire an appropriate new HC and staff? If the answer is "we never have!" then I reject that. We have never had ACC revenue before, and we have a Chancellor and AD who have never hired a football coach at SU before. I need an answer that specifies current conditions that lead you to be sure that we won't pony up.

I'll hang up and listen.

Can I just ask why a few folks are so sure that SU will not spend the requisite money to hire an appropriate new HC and staff? If the answer is "we never have!" then I reject that. We have never had ACC revenue before, and we have a Chancellor and AD who have never hired a football coach at SU before. I need an answer that specifies current conditions that lead you to be sure that we won't pony up.

I'll hang up and listen.
Of course, nobody knows for sure, but the fan base is justifiably skeptical. It is not unreasonable to hold judgment until SU does something to restore confidence, which so far is only a hope. Coyle was a good start, Mike Tirico another, but we are still in the mode of show me the money!
We will all cheer appropriately when it happens.

Paul Rhoads out at ISU.

Was just going to post about Rhoads. Always smart to get a jump especially when some teams already canned their coaches.