Coaching Staff and Potential Changes | Syracusefan.com

Coaching Staff and Potential Changes

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
Figured it would be a good time to start a thread regarding any potential coaching changes or the status quo moving into next year.

Can't speak for anyone else, but have heard some rumblings that SU is either keep the status quo or going BIG. Major discussions currently taking place.

Figured it would be a good time to start a thread regarding any potential coaching changes or the status quo moving into next year.

Can't speak for anyone else, but have heard some rumblings that SU is either keep the status quo or going BIG. Major discussions currently taking place.
Does this quote from Spallina change the calculus on whether a change is made??

"I really can’t wait to play for coach Desko."

Thought the same thing.

But if you're going to make a change, you can't worry about specific recruits.

Or, you worry about a specific recruit and make a change the next year if things don't improve.

How's that for taking a stand? ;)

No I don't beleive so, but I think the Admin is aware that if a change is mind there will inevitable be several decommits. I think Kempney and Spallina and solid for sure along with Leo who is friends with Spallina but I can't speak for everyone else.

I'm sure Spallina and Hiltz will both be happy wherever they end up.

Exactly, they won't exactly be hurting for potential suitors. Again, were talking worst case scenario and if an actual change is mind, which is far far from certain. I also suspect that if a change was mind that the new HC first two calls would be to both.

No I don't beleive so, but I think the Admin is aware that if a change is mind there will inevitable be several decommits. I think Kempney and Spallina and solid for sure along with Leo who is friends with Spallina but I can't speak for everyone else.

good to hear, I'd be quite happy if we can keep those three!

FWIW, Shay to ‘Cuse is starting to slowly pick up steam in multiple threads on the FanLax board. One respected poster advised to “stay tuned”.

I saw that, not sure I find it realistic with Desko still employed as the HC amongst other problematic issues with that rumor, however, crazier things have happened.

No idea what it refers to, but i like the philosophy of go “BIG” or no change, at least with the head coach position.

As for what Mr. Axe has said about the powers that be being apathetic, I think that’s a bunch of bs. That’s what everyone in Hopkins land was saying, new generation doesn’t care yadda yadda yadda, and then boom, they drop Petro after a shortened season and bring in a promising new staff at all of the main 3 positions. If it still matters there it still matters here.

I see 2 options here, assuming Tiffany is a pipe dream. Either replace Desko with Shay & let him start fresh or keep Desko & replace Rogers with Petro. Regardless of how realistic either scenario is, I don’t think anything else would truly excite myself or the rest of the fanbase.

I see 2 options here, assuming Tiffany is a pipe dream. Either replace Desko with Shay & let him start fresh or keep Desko & replace Rogers with Petro. Regardless of how realistic either scenario is, I don’t think anything else would truly excite myself or the rest of the fanbase.
Petro here doesn't make sense. He's not exactly the high energy, youthful guy he once was. He honestly is in such poor health, I think being on the sidelines is a production for him. Him bringing Dom is appealing but only so much (the other son was a package deal and will never be a starting ACC defender)

What makes the most sense is to replace Rogers with Galloway, with the understanding that in a few years, when Desko is ready, JG steps in. Better to groom him and elevate him here at Syracuse, where he can recruit and compete in the ACC vs struggle in the SOCON and build his recruiting network around kids who can't play at this level.

One domino to watch here is Hofstra HC Seth Tierney. If he decides to move on after coaching his son Ryan for a final season this year, I’d think that UNC’s DC Kevin Unterstein, who played for him at Hofstra & spent 8 years under him on their staff (the last 5 being as Associate HC) would be at the top of their list. Him leaving would open the door for Petro to be DC at UNC & coach his sons.

Petro here doesn't make sense. He's not exactly the high energy, youthful guy he once was. He honestly is in such poor health, I think being on the sidelines is a production for him. Him bringing Dom is appealing but only so much (the other son was a package deal and will never be a starting ACC defender)

What makes the most sense is to replace Rogers with Galloway, with the understanding that in a few years, when Desko is ready, JG steps in. Better to groom him and elevate him here at Syracuse, where he can recruit and compete in the ACC vs struggle in the SOCON and build his recruiting network around kids who can't play at this level.
I get your point, but does the D coach need to be high energy? He would certainly be an asset.

I’m a huge Galloway fan & could warm up to your scenario of grooming him as DC. I think we can agree that Petro is instantly a significant upgrade over Rogers. With Galloway, we’d be hoping that he’s either an instant upgrade or could at least develop into one quickly.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom