Cole Swider returning ??? | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Cole Swider returning ???

Where do I start. Cole helps us to possible win . He can score the ball. he shot 41% from 3. He was our second leader on the boards. That is a good place to start. This imaginary player that you want us to get from the portal, we don't have him right now. And I would rather not have to look back on this past season as the good old days. And a forward combo of Benny and one of the frosh, that is what it would look like. I want Cole back. I also want a portal forward. I don't think Jb will go for one. That is on him. We need a portal guard as well. The idea isn't to rip away good players on the hope that we can portal a better one. And why in the world in your view isn't Symir a placeholder. He couldn't play at Marq and he didn't play here. He had a couple of good games. Very good good games. But for most of the season, he wasn't all that good when he did get a chance. You listed things that Cole doesn't do well. How about Symir and shooting? I want Symir back. But not as a starter.
Simply put, - Symir made every SU player a better player and a true team player who did not need to score. He was relegated to the bench when most SU fans were left wondering why would you keep a sparkplug like him sitting most nights? Who did Swider make better a better player? He is one dimensional Iso like Buddy and Jimmy. Time to look for the future and play true SU ball once again.

Simply put, - Symir made every SU player a better player and a true team player who did not need to score. He was relegated to the bench when most SU fans were left wondering why would you keep a sparkplug like him sitting most nights? Who did Swider make better a better player? He is one dimensional Iso like Buddy and Jimmy. Time to look for the future and play true SU ball once again.
I agree with you on Symir and disagree on Cole.

Our forward situation is really shaky. We need at least one sure thing at the position.

Cole makes our team better. He hit shots and is a rebounder. Is he an all time great Syracuse forward? No. But he is far better than anyone else we have and quite frankly, it's not close. Using your logic...who did benny make better? Other than one game, where we were being blown out, he couldn't play all year. Period. As for Symir, he wasn't a spark plug for almost the entire season. He played well in the last two games. The other games counted as well. We don't have enough talent to dismiss guys that can make 41% from the 3, 80 plus% from the line, and get rebounds., If we got a guy like that from the portal, we would be thrilled.

Cole makes our team better. He hit shots and is a rebounder. Is he an all time great Syracuse forward? No. But he is far better than anyone else we have and quite frankly, it's not close. Using your logic...who did benny make better? Other than one game, where we were being blown out, he couldn't play all year. Period. As for Symir, he wasn't a spark plug for almost the entire season. He played well in the last two games. The other games counted as well. We don't have enough talent to dismiss guys that can make 41% from the 3, 80 plus% from the line, and get rebounds., If we got a guy like that from the portal, we would be thrilled.
Funny how all you Cole supporters talk about his shooting. If he cannot shoot what else does he accomplish. Second leading rebounder? He gets 35 - 40 minutes a game. He should garner 10 or so. We don't need more ISO ball next year it equals a losing record again. My goodness you all need to look at the recent past so we don't repeat it next year. We need athletic talented players who make the other players around them successful.

Funny how all you Cole supporters talk about his shooting. If he cannot shoot what else does he accomplish. Second leading rebounder? He gets 35 - 40 minutes a game. He should garner 10 or so. We don't need more ISO ball next year it equals a losing record again. My goodness you all need to look at the recent past so we don't repeat it next year. We need athletic talented players who make the other players around them successful.
While I'm sure we could all learn from you, we don't have a forward near as good. I have seen Bunch play. Have you? Oh, and shooting is a big part of the game. You do have to score to win.

How does making shots make his teammates better? Make them better defenders? He plays close to 4o minutes a game. He should get a few rebounds.
While I'm sure we could all learn from you, we don't have a forward near as good. I have seen Bunch play. Have you? Oh, and shooting is a big part of the game. You do have to score to win.
What cost us games this year offense or defense?

How does making shots make his teammates better? Make them better defenders? He plays close to 4o minutes a game. He should get a few rebounds.

Here is what you are missing. We don't have anyone near as good. I mean, not even close. Benny was terrible this year. I have seen Bunch. He scored all of 2 pts in the game I was at. 2. Cole isn't perfect. He is just way better than anyone else we have. You hope for a portal guy that will be better. Prove it.

Here is what you are missing. We don't have anyone near as good. I mean, not even close. Benny was terrible this year. I have seen Bunch. He scored all of 2 pts in the game I was at. 2. Cole isn't perfect. He is just way better than anyone else we have. You hope for a portal guy that will be better. Prove it.
What cost us games this year besides the inbounds pass debacles? Mostly offense or defense? Is Swider a difference maker on defense?

What cost us games this year besides the inbounds pass debacles? Mostly offense or defense? Is Swider a difference maker on defense?
No And who are we replacing him with? What difference maker? Benny? Did you watch him play this past year? Did he help us win? How about the freshman? I told you some about Bunch. We have gone over this enough. I hope he is back. I don't see anyone near as good. And quite frankly, neither do you. Some fantasy guy in the portal? I hope we get one. But are you confidant we will? You go with Benny and a frosh at forward next year and we will be pining for the days of 16-17.

No And who are we replacing him with? What difference maker? Benny? Did you watch him play this past year? Did he help us win? How about the freshman? I told you some about Bunch. We have gone over this enough. I hope he is back. I don't see anyone near as good. And quite frankly, neither do you. Some fantasy guy in the portal? I hope we get one. But are you confidant we will? You go with Benny and a frosh at forward next year and we will be pining for the days of 16-17.

Where do I start. Cole helps us to possible win . He can score the ball. he shot 41% from 3. He was our second leader on the boards. That is a good place to start. This imaginary player that you want us to get from the portal, we don't have him right now. And I would rather not have to look back on this past season as the good old days. And a forward combo of Benny and one of the frosh, that is what it would look like. I want Cole back. I also want a portal forward. I don't think Jb will go for one. That is on him. We need a portal guard as well. The idea isn't to rip away good players on the hope that we can portal a better one. And why in the world in your view isn't Symir a placeholder. He couldn't play at Marq and he didn't play here. He had a couple of good games. Very good good games. But for most of the season, he wasn't all that good when he did get a chance. You listed things that Cole doesn't do well. How about Symir and shooting? I want Symir back. But not as a starter.
Like the wizard of oz.
If he only had a shot...

We need Cole to stay. We need Benny to play to his potential. We need Jesse to stay and find a mid range game. We need Sy to find his shot. We need Joe to light it up. We need Copeland to bring that Philly Swag. Brown to bring Physicality. And Frank to take the next step.
We need a miracle everyday.

Good teams have good balance. I'm hopeful our roster will have much more of this next year. Having 2 elite shooters like JG3 and Swider around good athletes like Benny, Jesse, Symir and others gives us a much better chance to be successful than this year. This year we had a bunch of unathletic, good shooters without the athletes to complement them (JB basically said as much towards the end of the year).

Last edited:

Making shots makes his teammates better by opening up passing lanes for drives since his man can't help. If he bumps and has a guy fly by then help comes and leaves somebody

The basketball portal is nothing like the football portal in terms of quality. If you’re relying on a hoop portal you’re going to be sorry.
I don't think you pluck your star from the portal. At least not at this level. But, there are tons of guys that can improve our roster and fill needs.
Omg, what?!? Wake Forest pulled this year’s ACC player of the year, Alondes Williams, out of the portal. Kentucky (Tshiebwe, Wheeler, Grady), Texas, Baylor, Arizona and tons of others got several key players out the portal. The star of Hop’s UW team is a portal transfer from Arizona. And all the top teams in college basketball have at least one if not multiple transfers. How about Cuse’s own former stars Kadary and Quincy? Both went into the portal and are playing key roles on their teams.

I get that, it’s what we did last year. The results were poor and will continue to be poor until we recruit ACC level HS talent. Hoop portal guys are largely complimentary players to help plug a hole.

Cole is a role player and now being viewed to be the number one option and then we’ll backfill more role players. It’s not a good recipe.
Sorry, you have no idea what you’re talking about with this comment about the portal.

IMO we did find a starting level point in Symir so that might be a start. Though most people think he's a role player which sort of supports my opinion on the portal.

Featuring Cole to me would be like featuring Jason Cipolla and Cipolla may have been better.

We've had some quality transfer over the years, LeRon Ellis, Blackwell etc, but I think filling multiple holes every year is a recipe for disaster. We took 3 role player portal guys last year and had a losing record this season.
Symir was ranked nowhere near the top 100 portal transfers last season, and Cole was in the bottom half of the 100. We didn’t work the portal very hard last season.

We need Cole for offense. You can't play 4 non shooters in basketball in 2022. Girard would be hounded and Edwards, Symir, Benny and the guys we signed cannot shoot the basketball. They have to play 10 feet and in. If Cole leaves it make make the Tyus Battle teams look like the Mid 2010's Warriors.

Cole Swider is a difference maker on offense. Replacing a difference maker on offense with an inept offensive player doesn't solve any issues. Cole is a player I very much hope returns. By the end of the year he was the best player on the team in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom