Coleman tomorrow | Syracusefan.com

Coleman tomorrow

Eric15

Living Legend
I'm not trying to be hard on this kid because I know he hasn't played much over the past couple years, but I'm really going to be concerned about this team if he has another total dud of a game tomorrow.

Stay out of foul trouble, and give us 25 solid minutes with 8-10 points and 7-8 boards, with a calm and mature back-to-the-basket game. And if you have a take a Benadryl before the game so you don't get Terrence Roberts hyper-feet the second you get the ball, do it.

I really hope the coaching staff and guards make an effort to work the offense through him early on.

If tomorrow's game features more Frank Howard three-point attempts than DC baby hooks, I'm not going to be happy.

Last edited:
I think that the output we get from Coleman this year is totally anybody's guess at this point.

But I don't put much stock in Friday's game performance because of the reason you mention [22 months since he last played in an officail, organized game]. Lots of ring rust to knock off. The important thing was that he ran around, had no physical limtations, didn't get hurt, etc.

I think Coleman is going to be in development mode the first 10 games or so, as he rounds into form from a confidence standpoint. We'll know where he is / what he'll deliver after the preseason portion of the schedule, IMO. Again, lots of ring rust.

its not like he hasnt been practiciing for a long time though. he looked about as un athletic as any center i can remember.

Let's just face the facts.

His footwork and lateral movement on defense is atrocious. It will be a + if he is able to stay on the court at all and not foul out by the middle of the second half. On offense, he brings the ball down to his waist all the time resulting in strips and off balance shots.

Not sure if these problems can be fixed during the season (I sure hope they can). At this point, even though he may have a game where he scores 15+ pts, he is a massive defensive liability. And I think the team will be better with undersized Tyler or even Chino at center.

I liked what Tyler did at center against Lehigh, but I can't shake the idea that it seems like is simply not big enough to be a viable center against ACC competition. What do you guys think?

One game in and I think half the fan base needs to be sedated. So I guess it's just like any other season around here.

We aren't talking about fluky mishaps like missed jump shots or bad passes. Coleman has significant, fundamental holes in his game, which would be silly to overlook.

Tag this post and hopefully you can make me eat crow later on in the season.

I understand what the OP is saying, but I don't think the next game is some kind of all-or-nothing proposition. As JB has asserted for the past few months, it's going to be a gradual process with DC. Lots of rust, and he hadn't established himself yet pre-injury, either.

I liked what Tyler did at center against Lehigh, but I can't shake the idea that it seems like is simply not big enough to be a viable center against ACC competition. What do you guys think?

I think Lyden can play the 5 against teams that lack a legitimate threat to score in the post - not every game, but a significant percentage of games. In those cases we can reap the offensive benefits of having him at center without paying any significant defensive price.

It would be so huge if he was. Not only does he shoot the three at the five but he may be the best player on the team at taking the ball to the basket and shoot freethrows at nearly a 80% clip. He also may be the best rebounder on the team and the best offensive rebounder at a 2:1 clip. I mean you just can't understate that.

I worry some about him and Obokoh getting sealed off they weight about as much as Keita and aren't going to have that wide stance to prevent it. Having Dajuan coming in when opponents start getting baskets like that is more important then him starting, and staying out of foul trouble is a big part of that.

We tend to jump on things early on and keep them throughout the season sometimes. Dajuan stated he thinks he will be faster a month from now. As of right now hes not bumping or jumping much.

We aren't talking about fluky mishaps like missed jump shots or bad passes. Coleman has significant, fundamental holes in his game, which would be silly to overlook.

Tag this post and hopefully you can make me eat crow later on in the season.
As I've stated elsewhere, I am bullish on Coleman and encouraged by the way he has looked physically in the the two exhibitions and the opener. I am willing to let JB integrate him into the offense and fully expect to see that happen as he gets more minutes under his belt. While I don't expect him to be a defensive force in the middle, I do expect him to provide solid rebounding, just as he has in the past. Provided he stays healthy, I anticipate him giving this team somewhere around 25-30 mpg, 10 ppg and 8 rpg.

I may ultimately be proven wrong, but I sure as hell am not going to make every game a referendum on his career.

One game in and I think half the fan base needs to be sedated. So I guess it's just like any other season around here.

Our performance in the Bahamas is going to have a major effect on our overall NCAA resume come March. I'm not in any way saying we need to freak out about anything, but DC needs to get it together and relatively soon.

Our performance in the Bahamas is going to have a major effect on our overall NCAA resume come March. I'm not in any way saying we need to freak out about anything, but DC needs to get it together and relatively soon.

If we could come out of there with a quality win, I would be happy, whether that be Uconn or Michigan.

need to win as much early as we can I see no reason why we can't be undefeated or with one loss going into conference play.
This isn't the year to be saying we can lose 3-4 early on if our hopes add to the luck of the team any.

Can I ask why people think we need 10 and 8 from Coleman? The last time we won 30 games (we made the FF too) our centers combined to average 9 and 8(Rak and Baye), and that was with a team that had one consistent shooter.

That is my point exactly. We don't need a scoring center. We need a solid defensive contribut0r. I don't know if Coleman can provide that.

It's interesting to think what would have happened to him had he gone to Kentucky. Would Calipari have "encouraged" him to move on after the first season with an injury? How would the UK fanbase have reacted to him, given their recent success with big men?

Can I ask why people think we need 10 and 8 from Coleman? The last time we won 30 games (we made the FF too) our centers combined to average 9 and 8(Rak and Baye), and that was with a team that had one consistent shooter.
I didn't say we need that kind of production from him; I believe he can provide that merely by having a few plays run though him and through his work on the offensive glass. And it will be important to have him and/or Roberson providing something offensively simply to maintain a semblance of scoring balance over the long haul.

That is my point exactly. We don't need a scoring center. We need a solid defensive contribut0r. I don't know if Coleman can provide that.

I thought Okoboh played good defense on Friday. I also think Lydon can play there sparingly. He has a lot of Draymond Green type qualities even for being undersized. There would be limitless possibilities with him on offense there. Post scoring is a dying breed both in college and professionally. Jahlil Okafor and Rak here last year are the exception, not the norm.

I didn't say we need that kind of production from him; I believe he can provide that merely by having a few plays run though him and through his work on the offensive glass. And it will be important to have him and/or Roberson providing something offensively simply to maintain a semblance of scoring balance over the long haul.

I Wasn't calling you out specifically. I've heard this spoken about all pre-season, and on other threads here. I agree we need something out of he and Roberson. Roberson can't have donuts. So much for that improved jump shot. Lehigh plays a similar defensive style to Virginia, where they wall off the rim. You need to make jump shots against those types of teams. Roberson is the guy who could see his minutes decrease if Lydon produces like he did game 1.

I Wasn't calling you out specifically. I've heard this spoken about all pre-season, and on other threads here. I agree we need something out of he and Roberson. Roberson can't have donuts. So much for that improved jump shot. Lehigh plays a similar defensive style to Virginia, where they wall off the rim. You need to make jump shots against those types of teams. Roberson is the guy who could see his minutes decrease if Lydon produces like he did game 1.
I wouldn't make to much of Roberson's game the other night. He will play big minutes because he is a stud rebounder and he will have some big offensive nights because that jump shot will be effective at times and he will pick up a lot of points in transition based on the the way JB intends for this team to play.

I think that the output we get from Coleman this year is totally anybody's guess at this point.

But I don't put much stock in Friday's game performance because of the reason you mention [22 months since he last played in an officail, organized game]. Lots of ring rust to knock off. The important thing was that he ran around, had no physical limtations, didn't get hurt, etc.

I think Coleman is going to be in development mode the first 10 games or so, as he rounds into form from a confidence standpoint. We'll know where he is / what he'll deliver after the preseason portion of the schedule, IMO. Again, lots of ring rust.

I think we forget that coleman really didn't play his first two years here either. this isn't knocking 2 years of rust off. the kid really hasn't played since his sr year in high school (3-4 years ago?/early 2012?). so, not only is he "knocking rust off" he is really getting his first real pt/chance to develop.

It's interesting to think what would have happened to him had he gone to Kentucky. Would Calipari have "encouraged" him to move on after the first season with an injury? How would the UK fanbase have reacted to him, given their recent success with big men?

He probably would have been recruited over, and would have transfered.

I wonder if the limited minutes are just to play it safe. For this season I want to see him rebound well on both ends and stay out of foul trouble. I don't care how many minutes he plays. But during the Lehigh game one of his fouls made me think "oh boy, I hope he doesn't make those kinds of fouls all the time." We really need him when we play teams who have top 10 centers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom