College Student Football League | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

College Student Football League

Yeah, I guess it's the equity share part that would seem to burn them. It's one thing for Ohio State to share their riches with, say, Rutgers. Because at the time they had a reason to think that was strategic for more money overall. But now they have to get an equal share as, say, Cincy??
I imagine there'd be a performance kicker based on some kind of mix of TV/streaming ratings/subscriptions, CFP appearances, etc.

They'd also just flat out make more with a pro-like structure. Right now the B1G is on a $1 billion/year media deal. Obviously there's all sorts of weirdness with the allocations to the newbies and all that, but for simplicity's sake let's say a tOSU is making $60M/year.

Launch a 72 team league with both regular season and post season media deals wrapped together. For tOSU to make +25% more than its current B1G payout that deal would need to be about $5.4 billion/year, assuming an equitable split among schools.

Sounds too high?

Well, the NBA just signed a deal worth $7 billion/year. And power 4 CFB rates much higher than national NBA games. Plus CFB drives more streaming subscriptions.

The NFL is making $10 billion/year on its current contract and everyone agrees that they're actually undervalued now given the deal the NBA cut.

Anyway, for all the gnashing of teeth about the money in CFB, it's a sport that has long undervalued its media deals. Fragmentation and clueless administrators have been wonderful for the networks.

This is part of the vision for the new conference. If they do it, they will absolutely not play the non-football sports in conferences aligned like they are now. The problems trying to do this are largely driving this initiative.
It's pretty funny that they had to actually try it before realizing, hey maybe sports with no money and no fans don't need to go across the country to play the same schedule as football even though no one cares

Last edited:
It's pretty funny that they had to actually try it before realizing, hey maybe sports with no money and no fans don't need to go across the country to okay the same schedule as football even though no one cares
Never underestimate the dimness of the people who run college athletics.

I must be missing something, but wouldn't we want to rekindle that rivalry?

Yes, you are missing the part where football breaks away and we're talking about what happens to the other sports if they try to regionalize.

We have no rivalry to rekindle in the other sports. Although I'm sure one could kindle in hoops or lax. Would be more fun though to say piss off pedos. (to me anyway).

This is way better than what's actually going to happen.

The sports should be decoupled, with each team seeking the conference alignment that makes the most sense for them. If football goes nuts, that doesn't mean the other sports have to.

West Virginia president and AD's at UNC, Tenn and Texas Tech on board too. I was told by someone who would know that there are a lot more schools privately on board with this. Interesting that the Haslam's are supportive. They have a lot of cash to throw into this. And explains why Tenn is supportive -- Jimmy's brother used to be the governor of tenn.
If the Haslams get involved, it will fail.

To forge another big college athletics group. I know they were trying to combat the efforts of the SEC and Big10.

To forge another big college athletics group. I know they were trying to combat the efforts of the SEC and Big10.
That was never going to happen. It’s was bunch of lesser p5 programs trying to paint a picture to keep them relevant.

I know we dislike him and his word choice was lacking - but Sankey was correct. Why would the SEC or Big 10 participate?

This is a cultural war on the importance of college football and willingness of schools to fund it. SU isn't worried about the overall environment, they are worried about staying with the big boys while not having the money to do so. just like 100 other schools.

Proud alum, but SU and their kind are up against it. Fan base not rabid enough to fund and when the school has to pick up that tab they will tap out. Kent putting up a good front here by fighting for the student athlete, and garnering support from us fans, but our fate is sealed unless we want to buck up.

Also I still find it comical that the system was untenable once the players started getting paid. As long as the school and its administrators got paid things were A-Ok.

Good article on SU chancellor Kent Syverud and his thoughts on the future of college athletics.

He confirms SU is currently operating at a small deficit for athletics, primarily because it is spending significantly more for football to try and field a competitive program.

I am pretty sure that these models with 72 or so schools playing at the highest level of college football all contain provisions to pay the schools that get the highest ratings the most money. I am pretty sure schools like Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State and Michigan will make the same money regardless if whether there are 36 or 72 schools left playing major college football.

I am pretty sure the reason Sankey hates these proposals for more schools playing at the highest level is because these proposals involve ending college conferences as we know them today.

All the schools would negotiate new contracts with the networks as a group. For the first time, the big football schools would all work together to get the best deal from the networks, and solve the major issues college athletics have as one.

That means there would be no need for conference commissioners any longer. He doesn't like that at all.

Last edited:
I'm curious if this is akin to suing the ACC to the SEC and Big 10. I find it a little odd some won't speak out loud/pen to paper about this in those 2 conferences.

Here’s the decision making tree that the powers that be will use to decide on these proposals:

Will this plan generate more $$$?

If yes, do it
If no, don’t do it

I know we dislike him and his word choice was lacking - but Sankey was correct. Why would the SEC or Big 10 participate?

This is a cultural war on the importance of college football and willingness of schools to fund it. SU isn't worried about the overall environment, they are worried about staying with the big boys while not having the money to do so. just like 100 other schools.

Proud alum, but SU and their kind are up against it. Fan base not rabid enough to fund and when the school has to pick up that tab they will tap out. Kent putting up a good front here by fighting for the student athlete, and garnering support from us fans, but our fate is sealed unless we want to buck up.

Also I still find it comical that the system was untenable once the players started getting paid. As long as the school and its administrators got paid things were A-Ok.
Syracuse has enough funds to compete at the level that CFB SHOULD be operating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom