Color Me Concerned | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Color Me Concerned

Well I have to say that almost everyone here has had valid points on both sides of the fence. This team is an outlier in so many ways that it is difficult to really get an accurate pulse on what we are witnessing. I think the fact of the matter is that this team is both... an elite team (especially on defense) and at times pedestrian and even offensively inept and challenged.

We can play with anybody... and we can get beat by anybody. Players can look like All Americans one game and completely disappear or lose any ability to even hit the rim.

And yet... 26-2. And they have shown the ability to make plays when they were needed. All I can do is continue to believe in them, continue to love them, and continue on this insane roller coaster of a season... knowing that they could become the biggest disappointment since Arinze went down and when Fab stood us up...
or they could become the biggest thrill since 2003.

All I can do is continue to support them and cheer them on. I choose to celebrate all that is good with this team. They are a great bunch of kids and they have been playing their hearts out and they have already made us very proud this year. They deserve our unconditional belief in them going forward and that's what I'm going to give them... even with a gimp finger!;)

Southerland went cold around this time last year as well. He got going again. I expect Cooney will to. He is exhausted. He runs around like a chicken the entire game. If he makes even a couple of those it's a 10 point game. Duke got lucky against Maryland. Take the win and have all hands on deck for Virginia. I expect to beat them. We won with a 23 shot free throw discrepancy tonight! Be happy and optimistic. We're grinding, but we win. The zone is back to how it was last year, after at the beginning of the season we were worried about our defense, while our offense was performing.

this game did very little to build my confidence that we are indeed elite.
I don't think in 2014, you need to be elite to go to the Final Four. I think you need to hold power conference teams to under 60 and thats what we do for a living. Its a recipe for Dallas. Offense schmoffense.

I get some solace from looking at last year's team. We lost 4 of our last 5 conference games last year...and went on to finish well. So playing so so late might not be as deadly as it might appear.

We look like the globetrotters out there sometimes doing these little circle weave handoff things...we go long periods not going to the rim.

We look like the globetrotters out there sometimes doing these little circle weave handoff things...we go long periods not going to the rim.
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I know I'll be criticized for this post but such is life...

I am very concerned with this team right now.

*Cooney is starting to look very one dimensional and when that dimension is shut down, then what does he give us? His defense is overrated. He has slow feet and he and Ennis allow way too much dribble penetration. He made one huge shot tonight but even that felt like a prayer.

*Way too much isolation offense. CJ forces a lot and if he's off, we are cooked. Tonight he was more on than off.

*Grant is hurt. Back problems linger and this is a guy that hits the deck a half dozen times a game.

*Christmas is still inconsistent. He is what he is but it's frustrating. Total goose egg from him tonight.

*Baye's able to play on the knee but he still has the same hands. I love his heart but his offense is not there and never will be.

*G is not the spark we need off the bench. He's made a few shots but his handle is terrible. He commits bad turnovers.

*Every game is a heart attack. We never put people away. This could be our final downfall in the tourney.

*Our FT shooting is still an issue.

I hope we turn it around but these are legit issues.

Please talk me off the ledge with real insights. Just typing 26-2 isn't going to cut it. I'm starting to lower my expectations and that sucks. My one solace is that all teams have issues.

LGO. Make me believe again.
26-2, clinched a double bey for the acc tourney, be concerned all u want, we are not a friken bubble team

26-2, clinched a double bey for the acc tourney, be concerned all u want, we are not a friken bubble team

Yeah, because I said we were a bubble team. Reading comprehension is a great thing.

Yeah, because I said we were a bubble team. Reading comprehension is a great thing.
I read your rant, trying to tell you to put things in perspective. If you want me to get technical, you have some punctuation errors.

I read your rant, trying to tell you to put things in perspective. If you want me to get technical, you have some punctuation errors.

Gilardino: the king of punctuation. Pot...kettle...black.

I don't think bubble team was mentioned once on this board all season nor in this post.

There are OBVIOUS concerns that iommi brought up in this thread that are very legitimate and issues that can get us bounced very early in the tournament. 26-2, great, WOOOOOOOO, honestly, who cares? Ever before our two losses our HOF coach said there we could have had 4-5 losses at that point. He wasn't BS'ing, he wasn't trying to be quoted, he wasn't trying to make the other coaches feel good, it's true.

We have a good team, there is no doubt about that but are we as good as our record indicates? I don't think so, personally I think we're a 8-15 team. We've played awful basketball for a month, bad teams hung with us in the beginning of the year, we're lost to a 20 loss team, we almost get beat by a .500 team even with a +6 in the TO department.

We're not bad, we're not awful, but we're not elite. Everybody on here pumping this team up yelling they 26-2 saying we're elite are the same ones who will probably be bitching about the refs if we get booted early in the tournament. We're capable of going far, we're capable of doing well, but we're also capable of losing in the second round as a #1 seed.

We are by definition elite. We have 2 losses and are ranked #2. Measuring how elite a team is relative. Compared to the rest of CBB, we are in the top percentile.

College hoops is too watered down this year. There are no truly elite teams as in years past. And right now we don't pass the eye-test with our current level of play. We're constantly relinquishing double-digit leads, and squeaking by (or losing to) sub-par competition on the last possession of games, for far too long.

If I think back to teams of the past, man, our '89 team would absolutely destroy this year's team... that squad was held under 70 pts in only 4 of 38 games. 4! Where has all the offense gone?

two3zone said:
I don't think bubble team was mentioned once on this board all season nor in this post. There are OBVIOUS concerns that iommi brought up in this thread that are very legitimate and issues that can get us bounced very early in the tournament. 26-2, great, WOOOOOOOO, honestly, who cares? Ever before our two losses our HOF coach said there we could have had 4-5 losses at that point. He wasn't BS'ing, he wasn't trying to be quoted, he wasn't trying to make the other coaches feel good, it's true. We have a good team, there is no doubt about that but are we as good as our record indicates? I don't think so, personally I think we're a 8-15 team. We've played awful basketball for a month, bad teams hung with us in the beginning of the year, we're lost to a 20 loss team, we almost get beat by a .500 team even with a +6 in the TO department. We're not bad, we're not awful, but we're not elite. Everybody on here pumping this team up yelling they 26-2 saying we're elite are the same ones who will probably be bitching about the refs if we get booted early in the tournament. We're capable of going far, we're capable of doing well, but we're also capable of losing in the second round as a #1 seed.

8-15??

Would love to see his list because I can spend all day breaking the flaws down in them. This should be fun.
If the dude thinks Duke is the rightful #6. Then we are in the top 5. Can we lose to anyone in the top 25? Sure. But I like our odds because I firmly believe we are the better team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom