Complete embarrassment on all levels | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Complete embarrassment on all levels

We're set to have a phenomenal team next season, so hang in there

We'll see. I hope we can stay healthy, that'll play a significant role as well and can be derailing. Just look how the injuries affected ND...except for when they played us. :mad:

Again, POINT GUARD????
Depth ?? If used, I'd give you that.

Better/more offensive weapons always make point guards better, just like better wide receivers in football make quarterbacks better. A lot of people here seem to be stuck in the idea that it only works the other way around.

Take away 3 or 4 fg attempts, add a couple assists, subtract a turnover or two, decrease minutes by 5-8 per game. Would that make Frank an acceptable pg? We don't need the pg to be an All-American.

Great post. I just made you the coach. Fix it. We have 6 healthy scholarship players and 2 players that can score. I’m sorry TT transfered, Thorpe left, HW and Sidibe got hurt and we missed out on Tucker and Green.
Dont defend him. Any true hall of fame coach would adjust .

What plays should we run? Ones to get bad 3 point shooters open? Ones to get our non-scoring PFs and Cs open at the rim so they can miss a lay up? Ones to get low percentage midrange jumpers?

This isn't football. Not running set plays often is the rule in basketball, not the exception.
I played for a hall of fame coach. He would load up on side. Go unbalanced post bris and or howard. Get chewy out of the lane move him to tge high post position but DONT ROLL HIM TO THE HOLE. There are so many things we could change up.
Still Jims biggest issue is recruiting almost exclusively for the zone. Last i heard is that they dont give you points for D.

All due respect, but this hot take is downright stupid.
What, he woke up one day and decided after 1000+ wins that he can’t coach?
Look, we’re all frustrated, but how many ways can you find to write about how flawed this team happens to be? The reasons are many, and varied, and have been discussed ad nauseum on these forums.
We get it, they suck right now...especially on offense. Does that invalidate JBs overall record or suddenly make Mike Hopkins the “better” coach after 3 months into the season?
Ridiculous, overreactive takes amount to nothing more than circle-jerk biotch fests
for the negatively inclined. It’s lazy, and tired. JMHO
No.

I played for a hall of fame coach. He would load up on side. Go unbalanced post bris and or howard. Get chewy out of the lane move him to tge high post position but DONT ROLL HIM TO THE HOLE. There are so many things we could change up.
Still Jims biggest issue is recruiting almost exclusively for the zone. Last i heard is that they dont give you points for D.

What does Howard or Brissett in the post do for our offense, though? Chewy doesn't roll that much. He sets the screen and waits. When the guard still doesn't beat his defender off the screen, Chewy meanders back to the lane.

PG recruiting has been an issue since the KJ miss, but the other positions were recruited well. TT would change the entire dynamic of the offense if he stayed.

I wonder how SU's 2 top recruits for next year view Cuse's play on the court right now. Is it "what the heck did I do" or "can't wait to get there and help this team get back to the glory days"? Hopefully the latter.

What does Howard or Brissett in the post do for our offense, though? Chewy doesn't roll that much. He sets the screen and waits. When the guard still doesn't beat his defender off the screen, Chewy meanders back to the lane.

PG recruiting has been an issue since the KJ miss, but the other positions were recruited well. TT would change the entire dynamic of the offense if he stayed.
And why isn't TT here????? Somebody calsh with him?? Let's guess who was abrasive towards him??? hmmmmm

Anyone who defends the offense by saying "we have no shooters/scorers this year" must not have watched the last 5ish years when we did have scorers and still ran terrible offense.

If a fan can not appreciate the effort our players put out, in spite of being outmanned. Today we took on one of the top teams in the nation with 5 1/2 players. We have one player who right now is a good scoring threat. Frank can score but he is being worn down. He has no backup now. Our freshman have some potential but this needs to be a year to gain experience, start to reload for the future and be able to punish teams the next few years. Yeah, we got kicked again while we are down. As a fan I hope others will respect and appreciate the effort on defense. Our guys need more scoring but I am far from embarrassed by the product. I have faith it will get better. With better scorers our free wheeling offensive style used to attract very talented players. Now that the sanctions are winding down I believe we will again. I will support the SU team all the way to the end. Virginia is a very good club. They have made a lot of offenses look bad over the years, not just SU.
I LOVE this post! Thank you.

Most of us gleaned that the season was going to go this way. We got cheered up when the OCC went better than expected. But we have been knocked backwards by having the thinnest team we have ever had - I challenge anyone to find a thinner one - AND on top of that we are turning out to be the team we feared we might be.

Still, there was the BC game. What was that? 60% field goal percentage? It is mind boggling.

I watched half a dozen “Grace and Frankie’s” before I came on this board. I think I’ll go back and watch a few more. Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin are terrific. It seems that this season is all about getting older and dying. And knee replacements. It was perfect for after that game!

I want to be the kind of fan that you are, grepal. I hope you didn’t get killed for your post. I haven’t read ahead.

Love you,
Beadle
(I’m a woman. Don’t worry!)

Hey guys I'm 83 and I have seen enough! I think JB needs to retire. This bunch is poor and there is no evidence that they will ever get better and play together. Not a TEAM. I have this season seen better movement and passing, a better knowledge of spacing and shot selection from my grand daughters jv team.
EXACTLY ... He is simply rolling the ball out on offense and asking 3 player to score any way they can. its 3 on 5

He recruited them... he has coached them. If they stink its because he is failing in his job End of story

If I hire people and I train those people and my team stinks, it is MY fault. If several of my best people leave because they got better offers, that is on ME because I didn't create an environment that they felt attached to.

IT IS ON JB. All of this , and its time to find a progressive , younger, great coach that runs an actual offense and can switch it up on D. They are out there

Last edited:
System has worked for a long time, college m2m defense hasn't changed in 50 years, system hasn't changed.

I think it'll be fine. We had a slow but efficient offense just last year.

We haven't been good on offense for half a decade at least.

Better/more offensive weapons always make point guards better, just like better wide receivers in football make quarterbacks better. A lot of people here seem to be stuck in the idea that it only works the other way around.

Take away 3 or 4 fg attempts, add a couple assists, subtract a turnover or two, decrease minutes by 5-8 per game. Would that make Frank an acceptable pg? We don't need the pg to be an All-American.
Definitely need better weapons around any PG but we also need a PG that can actually beat his defender, doesn't turn it over 4-5+ times a game and doesn't have poor decision making.

Of course, you can't have a front line that simply cannot throw it in the ocean. I hope Sidibe is healthy next year because I want him playing 30 minutes a game. Our forwards have never been so bad at finishing. We used to have guys that could slash and finish, and bigs that, while not overly skilled, were athletic and could catch and throw down dunks. PC is painfully weak and unskilled and that makes it hard to get much in the paint

I find it mentally much healthier to go fishing and ride my motorcycle(s). Am actually looking forward to who is excelling at spring practice in FB.

Last edited:
Tough when they cut it to 10 or so and Battle bricks two free throws and Brisset misses a layup.

PERSPECTIVE

My son is 8.

He plays on an upward team of 8 and 9 year olds.

They have 3 set plays they run.

Last week they scored 43.

Go unbalanced post bris and or howard

We actually did this although not a ton. Frankie posted up bc he had a smaller defender. He never got the ball. Jb drew up a play to get Brissett a mismatch. He successfully posted but instead of turning to the weak side, he turned into a double team.

Our coach has tried quite a few different looks with this team. I imagine he is frustrated too.

The first thing I thought about that quote was when I ran a company and had 100 employees. You don't tell the owner "they can't work so I just tell them to do whatever they want"

Outside of his initial comments during the Fine situation it was probably the most irresponsible comment he's ever said in his time here.
Amen. For a 70 year old Jim is starting to come across like a petulant child.

What it might do is create a size mismatch for frank. What it might do is allow bris the option of taking a 10 to 15 foot shot vs his drives which are a work in progress or chucking up a 3. One thing that we have rarely seen from a JB team is any posting up. Very little play with backs to the basket. Jim wants dribble drive. All im saying is that by posting Frank Battle or Bris you can create a similar interior play. You are simply passing the ball inside vs dribbling to get inside.

The next thing that could be used would be interior and baseline screening. Rather than always have Chewy screen for the ball handler have him screen for an off ball player. Im surprised that we dont run Bris Frank or battle through 2 off ball screens like we used to do with The Coon . Anyway im not sure what this staff is seeing but as we all know the definition of insanity is trying the same thing continuously expecting different results.

What it might do is create a size mismatch for frank. What it might do is allow bris the option of taking a 10 to 15 foot shot vs his drives which are a work in progress or chucking up a 3. One thing that we have rarely seen from a JB team is any posting up. Very little play with backs to the basket. Jim wants dribble drive. All im saying is that by posting Frank Battle or Bris you can create a similar interior play. You are simply passing the ball inside vs dribbling to get inside.

I don't think any player on the team has a back to the basket game at this point. OB and Sidibe are the most promising guys to develop that, but that might be a year or two away. I'm all for trying something different than what we've been running, though. Maybe passing inside will open up other stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom