Cooney expectations | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Cooney expectations

i think cooney won't be asked to do too much this year, which will be good for his confidence and development. i see him having a breakout year as a soph, then being a rautins slash g-mac leader during his upperclass years.

for now, we just need him to be a threat from the perimeter and defend.

So we're back to the old "Triche isn't mentally tough" baloney, huh? Will your next post be about how he doesn't show enough emotion, or will it be that he hangs his head too much and isn't a leader?

It's one of reasons I check in every day. We have a built in panel of mental heath experts who can work up a precise psychological profile on any player based on a 3 second reaction shot.

It's one of reasons I check in every day. We have a built in panel of mental heath experts who can work up a precise psychological profile on any player based on a 3 second reaction shot.
No its a combination of pressure situations, body language, actions and some other determining factors.

No its a combination of pressure situations, body language, actions and some other determining factors.

Most of which you ignore since they don't support your preconceived notion. Much like I did with Good Scoop, Bad Scoop. At least I'll be man enough to admit it. Care to admit your bias?

Good grief! Can we just all agree we're lucky to have three excellent guards on the team this year? How well any of them do as individuals is open for discussion but not for rock solid prognostication. Triche, the veteran looking to close out his SU career on an upnote; MCW, a soph ready to prove what he feels he can do and Cooney, the newcomer with solid credentials looking to show he's ready to be a part of the puzzle at guard.
What more could we ask for! Oh yeah, Mookie in reserve. ;)

Personally, I'd rather wait and actually see Cooney play an actual game (never saw him do anything) before I deem him excellent. I am cautiously optimistic he will live up to half the hype I'm seeing here though.

Most of which you ignore since they don't support your preconceived notion. Much like I did with Good Scoop, Bad Scoop. At least I'll be man enough to admit it. Care to admit your bias?
Bias against who/what

you've been fired up lately VT. lol

you've been fired up lately VT. lol

You know me. I go in cycles. I haven't vented in a while, so I had to blow off a little steam here. Plus I'm actually at home this week so I can waste some time in here.

You know me. I go in cycles. I haven't vented in a while, so I had to blow off a little steam here. Plus I'm actually at home this week so I can waste some time in here.
rant away.

Bias against who/what

Really? That pretty much answers the question.

By the way, from where in the albany area are you from/do you live? I think that will answer all the rest of my questions about you. I grew up in the Troy area, went to CCHS for full disclosure.

Really? That pretty much answers the question.

By the way, from where in the albany area are you from/do you live? I think that will answer all the rest of my questions about you. I grew up in the Troy area, went to CCHS for full disclosure.
There is no bias, thats a pretty simple minded question you ask. explain.

There is no bias, thats a pretty simple minded question you ask. explain.

You're full of it. You have a bias against BT. Not sure why, but you do. It's been pointed out by several other posters, and based on some of the discussion between you and them, this is not all that uncommon.

Just wanted to get some background on you in terms of where you are from. Answer the question and I'll explain.

You're full of it. You have a bias against BT. Not sure why, but you do. It's been pointed out by several other posters, and based on some of the discussion between you and them, this is not all that uncommon.

Just wanted to get some background on you in terms of where you are from. Answer the question and I'll explain.
If saying bt has confidence issues and that i think cooney has a higher ceiling makes me bias than you being from troy makes you a sewer dweller, see how idiotic that sounds.

If saying bt has confidence issues and that i think cooney has a higher ceiling makes me bias than you being from troy makes you a sewer dweller, see how idiotic that sounds.

Never said I was from Troy, just the Troy area, but sling away. Shows who you are. I was just messing with you as to where you are from, but it is telling that you won't reveal.

You've said far more about BT from what I've seen. If you don't think BT can play his way into the draft as you have stated in the other thread you started, are you of the opinion that Cooney's "higher ceiling" includes being drafted at some point?

Never said I was from Troy, just the Troy area, but sling away. Shows who you are. I was just messing with you as to where you are from, but it is telling that you won't reveal.

You've said far more about BT from what I've seen. If you don't think BT can play his way into the draft as you have stated in the other thread you started, are you of the opinion that Cooney's "higher ceiling" includes being drafted at some point?
Shows who i am? Lol youre the one who tried to label me based upon someone who disagrees with what i said. What did i say that makes me not like bt since you"read " what i said . Im from rotterdam if it makes you happy.

Shows who i am? Lol youre the one who tried to label me based upon someone who disagrees with what i said. What did i say that makes me not like bt since you"read " what i said . Im from rotterdam if it makes you happy.

Then I know exactly what kind of person you are since I married a woman who went to Mohonasen. And am still married to her.

And now that I've read that, I think you and I did discuss this before.

The truth of the matter is that the only confidence issues that really matter in regards to BT is whether or not JB has confidence in him. That will be answered in the winter. And if JB has confidence, I don't doubt for a second that BT will be the confident leader many us think he can be.

Then I know exactly what kind of person you are since I married a woman who went to Mohonasen. And am still married to her.

And now that I've read that, I think you and I did discuss this before.

The truth of the matter is that the only confidence issues that really matter in regards to BT is whether or not JB has confidence in him. That will be answered in the winter. And if JB has confidence, I don't doubt for a second that BT will be the confident leader many us think he can be.
Ok what type of person am i since you judge people from where they live?

Ok what type of person am i since you judge people from where they live?

Most likely Italian if you are from there and stayed there. Other than that, I've got no idea. And I'm not judging, just wanted a frame of reference.

Most likely Italian if you are from there and stayed there. Other than that, I've got no idea. And I'm not judging, just wanted a frame of reference.
Since you know my last name since we sent previous inboxes and ive stated i was italian several times on here, brilliant !

Triche and MCW are going to form one of the better back court duo's in the country.

Since you know my last name since we sent previous inboxes and ive stated i was italian several times on here, brilliant !

Appreciate that! Have a great day.

He still hit that number you said Cooney has the potential to hit. Meaning Triche is a better shooter.

Triche was the reason we beat Florida. 20 pts. He hit 4 threes to carry us against both PC and Marquette. If he didn't hit those against Providence we probably lose at the Dunk. 18 pts against WVU where he shot 7-12 and 2-2 from 3. 18 against the Ville as well. If you think Cooney will put up numbers like that against teams that good in his first year I don't know what to tell you.

Brandon as a senior leader is going to be very good for us this year.

Cooney will be decent in limited minutes. But I would put good money on it that Triche will have a better shooting percentage this year.

The other angle to this issue can be found in the stats for the BET, at which Brandon hit a whopping 14% from outside. As you know from other threads, I'm a BT fan, and his 35% from 3 is respectable (I think he was about 34% in conference). That said, and understanding the BET was only 2 games, it's fair to say there were periods when his 3pt shot was off. If GMac's right about Cooney, he may not have too many bad nights, where he misses all or most of his 3's. It all depends on how he reacts to shooting against BE level talent in game situations. http://www.suathletics.com/documents/2012/3/26/MBBStatsCombined.pdf

Next year, I agree that Brandon comes in as the ONLY proven guard. No doubt he'll get a ton of PT. In fact, with 80 minutes to divide up among 3 guards, BT (who plays 2 spots -- SG, and PG when TC comes in) will probably play 33 - 35 on average (less pre-conference). If he plays 35 minutes in a conference game, that leaves 45 minutes for MCW and TC to divide. My guess is that MCW will play at least 25-27, leaving (roughly) 18-20 minutes available for TC to earn, with JS waiting in the wings if he can't produce.

No doubt these are rough calculations on the minutes, and adjustments are going to be made game to game. The point is, TC is going to have a golden opportunity to show us if he's capable -- under game pressure -- of shooting 35% or better from 3 in his (rs) freshman year. Will the year of practice get him past BT, or GMac (.357 his freshman year -- with no RS) http://www.suathletics.com/sports/2003/11/30/200203mbbstats.aspx
or Flynn (.348% with no rs) http://www.suathletics.com/sports/2007/11/13/2007-08stats.aspx

The other angle to this issue can be found in the stats for the BET, at which Brandon hit a whopping 14% from outside. As you know from other threads, I'm a BT fan, and his 35% from 3 is respectable (I think he was about 34% in conference). That said, and understanding the BET was only 2 games, it's fair to say there were periods when his 3pt shot was off. If GMac's right about Cooney, he may not have too many bad nights, where he misses all or most of his 3's. It all depends on how he reacts to shooting against BE level talent in game situations. http://www.suathletics.com/documents/2012/3/26/MBBStatsCombined.pdf

Next year, I agree that Brandon comes in as the ONLY proven guard. No doubt he'll get a ton of PT. In fact, with 80 minutes to divide up among 3 guards, BT (who plays 2 spots -- SG, and PG when TC comes in) will probably play 33 - 35 on average (less pre-conference). If he plays 35 minutes in a conference game, that leaves 45 minutes for MCW and TC to divide. My guess is that MCW will play at least 25-27, leaving (roughly) 18-20 minutes available for TC to earn, with JS waiting in the wings if he can't produce.

No doubt these are rough calculations on the minutes, and adjustments are going to be made game to game. The point is, TC is going to have a golden opportunity to show us if he's capable -- under game pressure -- of shooting 35% or better from 3 in his (rs) freshman year. Will the year of practice get him past BT, or GMac (.357 his freshman year -- with no RS) http://www.suathletics.com/sports/2003/11/30/200203mbbstats.aspx
or Flynn (.348% with no rs) http://www.suathletics.com/sports/2007/11/13/2007-08stats.aspx

At least someone gets it. Triche is a solid player but we know who he is. People's games do not change much from their junior to senior year, they are who they are. That does not mean that he will be better then cooney or vice versa. Cooney will get his minutes though because we only have 3 guards next year. And dont tell me Mookie is walking through that door because he cant play defense and he cant dribble. Its a numbers game (80 min for 3 people) and that leaves Cooney getting close to 20 min a game.

I agree Brandon Triche deserves the thought preseason that he will get more minutes then our other guards. Had MCW had a flynn like freshmen season maybe not, but that wasn't the case due to guard depth primarily.

I don't see cooney getting less then 10 minutes next year though and its crazy to think so. And foul troubles will push him into situations where he is more likely to get around 17-24 mpg depending how he performs. That being said I would think JB will come out planning for him to get around 20 mpg on average to let MCW, and Triche get more of a breather and pick up the defensive intensity. Something like MCW sits for four mintues, then Triche sits for 4 minutes then Cooney sits for four minutes helps push the defensive intensity.

I think our offense should be good enough to perform something like that unless we are mistake and turnover prone. I think we will see a rotation like that with the question being when Cooney first comes off the bench do you want him with Triche or MCW first, whatever is best for his game. Thats what leaders like MCW and Triche need to do conform to the 5th 6th and 7th guys defeciencys.

I could see Cooney averaging four or five outside shots in 20 minutes. And if hes our biggest outside threat even more maybe. Then again I could see southerland getting 6-7 shots from outside possibly limiting cooney to 2-3. Anything is possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom