Cooney was terrific in Atlantis | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Cooney was terrific in Atlantis

Love this driving dimension to his game, as well as the complimentary ball handling.

Time for the Cooney-detractors--and you know who you are--to eat crow. This kid is a complete player this year.

After the first game (Lehigh)I thought we were going to be in for more of the same from Cooney in regard to his ability to attack the rim. In game one he was turning it over and looked sloppy. Then starting with the Bona game he has consistently shown off this new dimension of FINISHING his forays to the hoop. He's always had the ability to go toward or even get to the rim but could never really finish. But this year he's sticking tough layups through contact, he's hitting floaters, leaners, and inbetweeners. He's also creating for teammates. I am seriously impressed! He's playing easily the best ball of his career and it's gonna allow us to compete for the ACC this year. Let's hope he stays healthy! Need KJ or Frank to step up so that JB can get him a couple more minutes of rest per game.

He has taken criticism over the years and a lot of it has been accurate but he has really put it all together this year. He has a chance to soar up my all time favorite list if he keeps this up. That sequence where he saved the ball and then sprinted to swat Charlotte's layup attempt definitely pushed him up a couple spots! haha!

Go Orange!

He's played really well. He also played 40 minutes vs aTm. So yeah, unless Howard our Kaleb start getting going, I've seen this movie before.

It really helps Cooney I think to have more guys who can contribute and spread the floor. It could be a mental thing as well knowing he doesn't have to shoulder the load for 3's. His ballhandling has definitely improved. He's a gamer and unafraid to take shots, which will result in a bad shot and play or two a game but you take it. He's been great. He needs rest though. I do believe the heavy minutes affects the team in Feb/March.

Statistically he is IDENTICAL to last year. It is uncanny. both years .359 from the field, 310 from 3 this year 309 last year, 2.8 boards both years, 2 stls this year 1.8 last year. . Two notable exceptions - he is avging 3.5 assts this year which is up from 2.2 last year, but at the expense of much higher to's - 3.3 this year compared to 1.5 last year.

So...36 percent from the field, 31 from 3, pretty good ft shooter, good on d, subpar creator for a guard. That is what he is. Does that make me a detractor?

Statistically he is IDENTICAL to last year. It is uncanny. both years .359 from the field, 310 from 3 this year 309 last year, 2.8 boards both years, 2 stls this year 1.8 last year. . Two notable exceptions - he is avging 3.5 assts this year which is up from 2.2 last year, but at the expense of much higher to's - 3.3 this year compared to 1.5 last year.

So...36 percent from the field, 31 from 3, pretty good ft shooter, good on d, subpar creator for a guard. That is what he is. Does that make me a detractor?

I believe he had a slow start last year also.

I invite anyone who thinks otherwise to rewatch the last 5 minutes of the second half of tonight's game. Especially the finish through contact for a three point play he converted with 3:10 to go.

Jay Bilas: "Trevor Cooney is so much more than a shooter... he's an athletic driver, finisher, he's really got a complete game."

Bilas had a lot of man love for Trevor!

But, but he did not get credit for a steal, assist, rebound or point. It doesn't compute in my metric centripetal force geosynchronous analysis spreadsheet therefore it doesn't matter.

Eye test > stats.

"centripetal force geosychronous analysis spreadsheet" LOL!

Cooney was no better then the 3rd 4th or 5th player in the tournament.
Out of 96 players and 4-5 ranked teams that's just simply not going to cut it. We shouldn't put up with that.

I see a number of people liked this post. Besides using "then" instead of "than" I still don't understand what you are saying. What do you mean we shouldn't put up with that. Just what exactly?

I see a number of people liked this post. Besides using "then" instead of "than" I still don't understand what you are saying. What do you mean we shouldn't put up with that. Just what exactly?
He was being sarcastic. Look - I respect everyone's opinion, but mine is that Cooney isn't a particularly good starting level college basketball player. And I think both the stats and the eye test over the past 2+ seasons back up my opinion. But of course I hope he has an amazing sr season. It's a fine line - if he makes 37% of threes, 80+% from the line, and 42% overall I think he is a big asset. At the %'s he has produced to date he is marginal.

I'm by no means a Cooney hater, I just thought he'd struggled in the first few games. He was a completely different player in Atlantis. He was terrific. I really watch him on D (and not just when he jumps a pass) and he was MUCH improved on D, got on shooters, got over screens, etc. the shooting numbers are what they are but I can tell you that the "eye" test showed me he hit a HUGE three after ATM had hit a big 3 to go up there late. I knew then we were going to win.

This is how I feel. I have been very frustrated with Cooney at times. But when he's playing barracuda defense it really puts messes with the other teams head. He's really good on defense when he gets fired up. He's a lot more than just a 3 point shooter who misses one or two many times per game. He's pretty good driving to the basket. Jay Bilas said some really nice things about Cooney's game. He's probably not going to get drafted in the NBA but I imagine he would play professionally overseas.

In terms of CBB, at this point, Syracuase fans generally love player's how have put in their time for the program. I said a couple of weeks ago Cooney is already beyond criticism. We pretty much know exactly what we have with Cooney. His leadership and defense is more important that him shooting 30% from 3 instead of 35%. His frantic motion on offense gets other guys moving better. The success of this season is going to be on the sophomore and freshmen shoulders who must step up for us to be successful. Maybe we need to create a new thread so we can spend 2 years criticizing Kaleb. Kaleb is the new Cooney!

I will. And I'll also enjoy watching what is shaping up to be one of our most fun teams in years, while some others have their enjoyment undermined by some illogical beef that prevents them from rooting for one of our players.

I like it when Bilas says, "The Orange are fun to watch!"

If RF was trying to bait some you, he got an A plus on his assignment. This thread is filled with the typical syracuse.com posts of posters being miserable over their miserableness. This stuff blasting Cooney and other players borders on mental illness.

Mental illness may be a little too strong. I like the debate and the off point of view for discussion.

He was being sarcastic. Look - I respect everyone's opinion, but mine is that Cooney isn't a particularly good starting level college basketball player. And I think both the stats and the eye test over the past 2+ seasons back up my opinion. But of course I hope he has an amazing sr season. It's a fine line - if he makes 37% of threes, 80+% from the line, and 42% overall I think he is a big asset. At the %'s he has produced to date he is marginal.

Cooney probably shoots a little too much so he's not going to get 37% threes. It's just not going to happen. But who cares when he's a barracuda on defense. He makes terrific steals during the game. Also, his off the ball movement makes other players move more on offense. Cooney brings lots of experience to the the team. My favorite linup is TC, G, TR, TL, MR. I like TC and G at the top of the zone on defense. It reminds me of the Triche days. The top of the zone is very very good with TC and G at the top.

Cooney probably shoots a little too much so he's not going to get 37% threes. It's just not going to happen. But who cares when he's a barracuda on defense. He makes terrific steals during the game. Also, his off the ball movement makes other players move more on offense. Cooney brings lots of experience to the the team. My favorite linup is TC, G, TR, TL, MR. I like TC and G at the top of the zone on defense. It reminds me of the Triche days. The top of the zone is very very good with TC and G at the top.
I think he is good on d but not as good as triche or certainly mcw. But good for sure. On the # of shots I hear you but honestly it seems to me that he makes more of the contested shots than the wide open ones.

I think he is good on d but not as good as triche or certainly mcw. But good for sure. On the # of shots I hear you but honestly it seems to me that he makes more of the contested shots than the wide open ones.

I agree with post somewhat. It's just having TC and G at the top of the zone feels the best to me. I would rather have TC's experience out on the court during crisis moments in big games than say MR. MR made a few freshmen mistakes. MR is a great player no doubt about it and he will make some clutch shots this year. I'm just saying in terms of ball handling I want TC and G out there together to close out games.

I agree with post somewhat. It's just having TC and G at the top of the zone feels the best to me. I would rather have TC's experience out on the court during crisis moments in big games than say MR. MR made a few freshmen mistakes. MR is a great player no doubt about it and he will make some clutch shots this year. I'm just saying in terms of ball handling I want TC and G out there together to close out games.
Oh yeah I'm not saying Cooney shouldn't be on the court. We don't have any alternative that would work for more than a few minutes at a time.

that's why I don't get too high or too low on Cooney anymore.

After the first game (Lehigh)I thought we were going to be in for more of the same from Cooney in regard to his ability to attack the rim. In game one he was turning it over and looked sloppy. Then starting with the Bona game he has consistently shown off this new dimension of FINISHING his forays to the hoop. He's always had the ability to go toward or even get to the rim but could never really finish. But this year he's sticking tough layups through contact, he's hitting floaters, leaners, and inbetweeners. He's also creating for teammates. I am seriously impressed! He's playing easily the best ball of his career and it's gonna allow us to compete for the ACC this year. Let's hope he stays healthy! Need KJ or Frank to step up so that JB can get him a couple more minutes of rest per game.

He has taken criticism over the years and a lot of it has been accurate but he has really put it all together this year. He has a chance to soar up my all time favorite list if he keeps this up. That sequence where he saved the ball and then sprinted to swat Charlotte's layup attempt definitely pushed him up a couple spots! haha!

Go Orange!

NateW, couldn't have expressed my sentiments more precisely. Cooney is completely unrecognizable with his new found ability to drive to the hoop and finish in traffic. Mal has it, G has it, now Cooney .. wow!. I can't wait until Roberson figures it as well. I thought he broke through when he took it right to Brimah against UConn but seem to have gotten timid against aTm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom