Cooney | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Cooney

Some of the statements on this thread are mind boggling. Without Cooney we would have 1-2 losses this year. He is an integral part of this team. Love him or hate him, we need him. He is our ONLY 3 pt threat. We won this game because Harrison lost his steam (and some CJ clutchness). A lot of that had to do with him having to chase Cooney around 3/4 of the game.

It absolutely blows my mind we still have Cooney doubters after the year he's had so far.

Ennis, Grant, Gj, and CJ are shooting a collective 37% - pretty good actually.

TBCuse11 said:
then you didnt watch the game. the last 5 minutes he played, he was a statue. There is a reason he got benched for the last chunk of the game.

He played the first 11 mins of the 2nd half. He was taken out for not fighting thru a screen hard enough on defense. JB said as much. It's not unusual for him to come out then or even sooner. G was playing well so there was not a need to switch back like we normally do. The statue for a few series were ISO plays.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

just one genius post after another. kudos dude. Oh Lord

what is false about this statement? Amazing how arrogant some of the people with alot of posts are. No one here is any more correct than anyone else in regards to opinions.

TBCuse11 said:
i thought it showed hoe crucial Ennis is, not Cooney. If there is one player we can not afford to lose... its Ennis. We are still a top 10 team if we lose anyone else (including CJ). Lose Ennis, and we are nothing.

99% of the board knew Ennis is the most crucial early on since he is our only true PG. Not hard to see that. The poster didn't say Cooney was the most crucial, he said he was crucial, which he is. If he's on yesterday like he has been most other games, this one isn't close and we aren't sweating with a few mins to play.

Trevor's army? You and a few others are proving the "Army's" point loud and clear.

Here's what we have seen here.

Cooney's performance and contribution last year were "weak".

Some doubted he'd ever be much better this year, like me. These people were wrong.

Some said he'd be better or that at a minimum "the jury is still out". These people weren't so much "right" as they had their hopes fulfilled.

But what we have right now, I'd submit, is a bunch of hyper-sensitive supporters (Trevor's Army), who are busy denying what we all saw on Sunday or are developing story lines like "Ennis's performance was based on the defense being distracted by TC" or "Harrison was dog tired because of all the energy he had to exert chasing Cooney"

Anybody that takes issue with any of this is insulted or belittled. That's the battle plan of Trevor's Army.

Zone teams for the most part? 2g by default? Obvious you don't watch any SU games. Your true colors shine brightly.

nope. i dont watch any of them. I just go to all the games and face backwards and listen for the cheers. Yes, 2G by default. he is our only true 2G. Silent G is a SF by trade. And again, yes... mostly zones.

bingo. only Cooney too. LOL. If this thread was about any other player having a terrible game, people would understand and agree. But not Trevor. He is bullet-proof on here.

Only to "Trevor's Army" is he bullet-proof. All criticism in their eyes is illegitimate and wrong-headed and are put forward by people who either didn't watch the game or have no knowledge of basketball.

Only to "Trevor's Army" is he bullet-proof. All criticism in their eyes is illegitimate and wrong-headed and are put forward by people who either didn't watch the game or have no knowledge of basketball.

Well, they have the right to their opinions. I used to LOVE Josh Pace and would fight for him to the bitter end in any discussion. People have emotional ties sometimes to players and it clouds sound reason. It is what it is. Just be ready when Trevor scores 20 vs. High Point for the Army to be out in swarms calling all of us "haters" and "not true fans".

nope. i dont watch any of them. I just go to all the games and face backwards and listen for the cheers. Yes, 2G by default. he is our only true 2G. Silent G is a SF by trade. And again, yes... mostly zones.
Between Maui and yesterday, I didn't see much zone from any of our opponents, save for Binghamton.

Here's what we have seen here.

Cooney's performance and contribution last year were "weak".

Some doubted he'd ever be much better this year, like me. These people were wrong.

Some said he'd be better or that at a minimum "the jury is still out". These people weren't so much "right" as they had their hopes fulfilled.

But what we have right now, I'd submit, is a bunch of hyper-sensitive supporters (Trevor's Army), who are busy denying what we all saw on Sunday or are developing story lines like "Ennis's performance was based on the defense being distracted by TC" or "Harrison was dog tired because of all the energy he had to exert chasing Cooney"

Anybody that takes issue with any of this is insulted or belittled. That's the battle plan of Trevor's Army.
Did you watch the games in Maui?

TBCuse11 said:

Well you prove my point that you don't watch the games. Mostly zones? Really?

Townie72 said:
Here's what we have seen here. Cooney's performance and contribution last year were "weak". Some doubted he'd ever be much better this year, like me. These people were wrong. Some said he'd be better or that at a minimum "the jury is still out". These people weren't so much "right" as they had their hopes fulfilled. But what we have right now, I'd submit, is a bunch of hyper-sensitive supporters (Trevor's Army), who are busy denying what we all saw on Sunday or are developing story lines like "Ennis's performance was based on the defense being distracted by TC" or "Harrison was dog tired because of all the energy he had to exert chasing Cooney" Anybody that takes issue with any of this is insulted or belittled. That's the battle plan of Trevor's Army.

Sure. It's obvious when the attack dogs come out. Read the whole thread.

Yes, I did.

Did you read my post carefully?

TC was great in Hawaii. He was a non-factor yesterday.
Just going to say my piece right quick. Two of his 3 attempts, I thought were money. They were great shots. Secondly, he drew a defender to every place he went on the court. That opened up lanes for fair,ennis, and grant to go through (and the did with great success. That... IS A HUGGGGEEEE FACTOR especially the way we play bball. Ill take us 4 on 4 vat any team in the country. Lastly the screens we ran were half asses. Boeheim said it, ill repeat it, team needs to get him then find him when open.

Did he have a great game yesterday? No, not really.

Is he a huge part of our success? Yes, no question

And if ya don't see it, there is no point in anyone addressing you guys on the subject of basketball.

I'd like 4 mins of my life back reading these posts. What's strange is how there can be so much debate over something so easy to analyze.

-TC has improved as much as one player has from the previous season. That alone should stop most debate.
-W/O TC, we have a few losses.
-The goal of Lavin was to take TC out of the off in teh first have. What does that tell you?
-TC had a bad game, make no mistake. However, the fact that SJU overplayed was a major reason TE had 15 in the first half. That said, he didn't work as hard as he should've. As someone said, under the weather?
-He is a dozen games into his career as a key cog and is far, far, from a finished product. This is the norm. Coleman is the norm. Ennis is a freak.
-Make no mistake, by Feb 2015, we have the best backcourt in the country.
-I feel strange having to type this...

Just going to say my piece right quick. Two of his 3 attempts, I thought were money. They were great shots. Secondly, he drew a defender to every place he went on the court. That opened up lanes for fair,ennis, and grant to go through (and the did with great success. That... IS A HUGGGGEEEE FACTOR especially the way we play bball. Ill take us 4 on 4 vat any team in the country. Lastly the screens we ran were half asses. Boeheim said it, ill repeat it, team needs to get him then find him when open.

Did he have a great game yesterday? No, not really.

Is he a huge part of our success? Yes, no question

And if ya don't see it, there is no point in anyone addressing you guys on the subject of basketball.

Two points;

Saint John's was playing Man to Man defense. Of course, TC would always draw a man. That's what Man to Man defense is. Is the expectation that SJU would allow SU players to run around the floor unguarded?

It's hard to take you guys seriously when you characterize TC's performance as "not having a great game". Sounds more like political "spin" than a conversation among fans.

At least one team has demonstrated they can take TC almost completely out of a game if they decide they want to.

Sure. It's obvious when the attack dogs come out. Read the whole thread.

What "attack dogs"? Saying a player was a non-factor in a game is an observation not an "attack". All the attacking on here seems to be directed at anyone suggesting that TC "had less than a stellar day".

I wonder if anyone on here actually expected the Hawaii scenario to play out in the rest of the season. That is, teams through the season would allow us in the half court offense to set TC up at the arc, allow him to square up, catch the ball in rhythm and bomb 3's.

I'd like 4 mins of my life back reading these posts. What's strange is how there can be so much debate over something so easy to analyze.

-TC has improved as much as one player has from the previous season. That alone should stop most debate.
-W/O TC, we have a few losses.
-The goal of Lavin was to take TC out of the off in teh first have. What does that tell you?
-TC had a bad game, make no mistake. However, the fact that SJU overplayed was a major reason TE had 15 in the first half. That said, he didn't work as hard as he should've. As someone said, under the weather?
-He is a dozen games into his career as a key cog and is far, far, from a finished product. This is the norm. Coleman is the norm. Ennis is a freak.
-Make no mistake, by Feb 2015, we have the best backcourt in the country.
-I feel strange having to type this...
You were going good until "Make no mistake, by Feb 2015, we have the best backcourt in the country". It is that kind of unnecesary hyperbole thrown into an otherwise decent post that ruins it.

We don't and won't have the best backcourt in the country. We have a frosh and a soph manning the 2 positions and very little usable offensive depth. But it is okay, we have a tremendous front court and we only need a good backcourt.

Two points;

Saint John's was playing Man to Man defense. Of course, TC would always draw a man. That's what Man to Man defense is. Is the expectation that SJU would allow SU players to run around the floor unguarded?

It's hard to take you guys seriously when you characterize TC's performance as "not having a great game". Sounds more like political "spin" than a conversation among fans.

At least one team has demonstrated they can take TC almost completely out of a game if they decide they want to.
In man to man keita draws a man too right? Maybe... if hes a foot under the basket. On offense if cooney is at the half court line. Dangelo garrison is wearing him like underwear. Swearengen, you may understand how to manipulate a boom town. But college bball isn't your shitt.

Townie72 said:
What "attack dogs"? Saying a player was a non-factor in a game is an observation not an "attack". All the attacking on here seems to be directed at anyone suggesting that TC "had less than a stellar day". I wonder if anyone on here actually expected the Hawaii scenario to play out in the rest of the season. That is, teams through the season would allow us in the half court offense to set TC up at the arc, allow him to square up, catch the ball in rhythm and bomb 3's.

Pfft. A LOT more was said in this and the other threads than just that he was a non factor.

In man to man keita draws a man too right? Maybe... if hes a foot under the basket. On offense if cooney is at the half court line. Dangelo garrison is wearing him like underwear. Swearengen, you may understand how to manipulate a boom town. But college bball isn't your shitt.

First of all, Cooney has never been at the half court line except passing over it in a mad dash to get to the corner outside the arc. No one is guarding him tightly 30 feet from the goal.

Second, having a man on him 18'9" from the basket does prevent a lot of cheating of his man back into the paint. But this is normal for most teams.

Pfft. A LOT more was said in this and the other threads than just that he was a non factor.

Examples from this thread? I didn't see any. All I saw was mild criticism or straight-forward facts that Trevor's Army assumes are attacks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom